Truck starting on its own

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayridge13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Tonight, our truck started on its own, ran for a few seconds, then shut off again. Keys were in a different room and hanging up. We were in the living room and the truck is outside the window. We saw it start and turn off. Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas why this would have happened??
My 2019 just started doing the same thing this week. I changed key fobs but its still doing it. Did you find a solution? Thanks

Lee Peterson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its probably a dirty contact on the board under the button, pull it a apart and wipe surfaces with some iso alcohol. Either that or a glued on button has come loose from the rubber.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Starting up by itself is peculiar....i have heard of fob's doing this when they go bad. Time to be concerned is when it leaves the driveway by itself.
WELL, they R pushing self drive vehicles.......

I know PPL that put their fob in a "tin" packet, or even incase in aluminum foil when in populated areas. I have a RFID inhibitor card that I carry in my wallet with all the new RFID chip technology.

mikeg87powerram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tonight, our truck started on its own, ran for a few seconds, then shut off again. Keys were in a different room and hanging up. We were in the living room and the truck is outside the window. We saw it start and turn off. Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas why this would have happened??
My 2011 dodge 3500 diesel has done this twice now and am scratching head whether to go to dealer or find some information about issue. Seen your post and read reports from others. Some say the fob, but its was 30 yards from truck in house.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2011 dodge 3500 diesel has done this twice now and am scratching head whether to go to dealer or find some information about issue. Seen your post and read reports from others. Some say the fob, but its was 30 yards from truck in house.
I am in the garage door business and am familiar with doors opening randomly. Take the battery out of one remote. If the problem stops, that remote is the problem. If the door still opens, take the remote out of another battery. If the problem stops, then the second remote was the problem. Transmitters going bad is not uncommon but difficult for someone to duplicate the problem in a short time to diagnose. Start with the cheapest and most obvious first, before scheduling a service appointment.