Strangest starting problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blavkbird11xx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys, this issue has me stumped. 2011 Ram 2500 gas hemi, problem just started. Came out to the truck yesterday morning, turn the key and it cranks but does not start. Plugs were recently changed 1000mi ago. Thought it may be fuel related so I popped off the air cleaner, hit it 4 seconds with starting fluid, started and ran fine, drove about 25 miles, shut it off and restarted warm no issues. This morning same issue but took a few sprays where it would run, stall once the fluid was used, and after 4 attempts ran fine again for 25 miles. No skips no rough idle just a normal run. Shut it down it started right back up. Tried a second time and it wouldn't. Hit it with fluid and it started again and ran fine. I was thinking it's a bad fuel pump, but I wanted to know if there's an enrichment circuit on startup, although this does not make sense warm. Any ideas?

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't beleive there is an erichment circuit since the fuel ratio is controlled by the computer. Did you check the fuel pump relay? Maybe it's on the way out.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You should know ....
With Gasoline engines, you should not use Starting Fluid, it is made for diesel engines sparingly.

I have used WD-40 to start my gasoline engines, for as long as i can recall

If you don't think it will work
for Safety reasons, only one person should try this & everyone else should be behind you.

Take something like a long kitchen match in one hand & a can of WD-40 in the other hand.
Light the match & spray a short shot of WD-40 just above the flame

I have never tried it with an Engine with a Throttle Body

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Fuel, air, and spark. This one sounds like fuel, start there. Did you run codes? Rule out sensors with obd2.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup, Big 3 on starting. Even though these trucks are just so much more efficient with injectors, and fuel rails and such, sometimes I miss my old Carter or Rochester, they were just so much easier to troubleshoot and setup.