Truck tarps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

catha955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L 6-Cylinder Turbo Diesel Engine
I'm looking for a tarp cover for the bed of my RAM 1500. I'll be hauling small rocks and piles of chopped wood so something heay duty would be needed.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Going to suggest just going to Harbor Freight or your local hardware and buying a normal, heavy duty tarp, if you really need to cover everything.

I say that because, unless you're doing it daily as a commercial driver, law enforcement generally doesn't bother people hauling loads of rock or wood in the back of their pickup truck, mostly because it really isn't going to go anywhere anyway, and because those laws really only apply to commercial vehicles.

I see people doing what you intend to do DAILY without a tarp over the load.

That said, if you were hauling things lightweight or that could catch wind and fly out (like shingles or other home improvement debris), then it would be a good idea to cover it to prevent it from flying out.

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I used to have a heavy woven canvas one given to me by a company which manufacturers them for semis. Way more than was needed and I have carried rock, topsoil, and yar debris. A good heavy duty one from Harbor Freight works fine!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Make sure to secure it very well ,if it flaps in the wind it can quickly damage your paints finish.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, just a heavy duty tarp from Home Depot, Harbor Freight, etc. and some ratchet straps and you should be all set. Securing the straps over the tarp is a much better method than just tying to the grommets and letting the tarp flap in the wind. I'm in Maui (expensive) and Home Depot has sets of four medium duty straps for $10 which is pretty amazing. Maybe $15-$20 for a heavy duty tarp and you could be all set.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will go without before I buy anything from the **** depot

If you do get a tarp, I'd get a spider bungee with it too, helps keep it down nicely

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Might be worth a check if you have a nearby Costco, I've been buying heavy-duty tarps for much less than anywhere else. They're pretty burly for the price.