truck was damaged on the right side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
As stated, the truck was damaged on the right side, passenger door and the right side of the box. Originally the estimate was 5k, then went to 7k. They have had it three weeks now and was supposed to be done tomorrow.

So, a phone call to them to ensure it would be done so we can return the rental car, they told my wife they had to order a "fuel pocket gasolie". What the hell is that?? I can't find anything related to a part named that.

What i'm thinking is since they had to remove the box to replace the right side panel, someone messed up the fuel filler, which is on the driver's side. Am i correct thinking this?

Or, can someone tell me what a "fuel pocket:gasoline" is? That part is what they told us they had to order. I feel like i'm being ripped off.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Or, can someone tell me what a "fuel pocket:gasoline" is? That part is what they told us they had to order. I feel like i'm being ripped off.

Fuel pocket is basically the little 'cabinet' that is behind the fuel door, where your fuel cap and top of the filler tube is.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Fuel pocket is basically the little 'cabinet' that is behind the fuel door, where your fuel cap and top of the filler tube is.
ok...$300 and some odd dollars...wasn't even on the damaged side!!
Which kind of indicates they damaged the original one when the removed the bed. If that is the case, it's on them to replace it on their dime.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When they pull the bed off,
the trickiest thing to remove is the door itself & the pocket that the door & Fill Tube attach everything together, has to be done very carefully.

First you are working in a tight space

In between the bed & outer sheet metal

1716511399129.png

Fuel Door is open

1716511481894.png

1716511562288.png
Your part will be just a bit smaller
The YouTube video explains how careful you have to be, so that you don't break it
1716511663907.png

1716511831202.png

OP
OP
M

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
there's a couple of items they added to the original estimate, to go from 5k to a bit over 7k. My deductible is only $250, so insurance pays the rest. After i get the truck back, i'm going to have a conversation with the insurance company and tell them i believe they're being ripped off and why.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there's a couple of items they added to the original estimate, to go from 5k to a bit over 7k. My deductible is only $250, so insurance pays the rest. After i get the truck back, i'm going to have a conversation with the insurance company and tell them i believe they're being ripped off and why.

I'd be curious to hear their response.

You say that they're being ripped off but you and everyone else will pay for that ripoff with increased policy costs every year.

It seems that only a few years ago that my Tundra Limited cost about $800 to insure. In the past couple of years, the insurance costs for my Ram have jumped 100s of $ each year.

No discount for a factory alarm, parked in a garage, limited use, or the start button defeat switch I installed. I may as well live in the city for the prices I'm now paying.
IIRC, it's about $1350 Canadastan $.

After shopping around, prices seem to be about the same at other agencies.

OP
OP
M

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
yep, we're paying more for insurance down here in Kentucky because, according to the insurance company, the threats of weather, especially hail. We're paying almost double of what we paid in NYS.

Notice that these days, they total every time a vehicle gets damaged, not to mention the increased numbers of uninsured drivers, hit and runs, phone users, drunk driving, and my favorite is insurance companies offering the minimal policies (like liberty mutual) where those people have very little basic coverage, and your own insurance has to make up the difference.

we can't win....now we have to pay college tuition when i didn't even attend college. I should demand a degree in something i'm paying for! lol

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'd be curious to hear their response.

You say that they're being ripped off but you and everyone else will pay for that ripoff with increased policy costs every year.

It seems that only a few years ago that my Tundra Limited cost about $800 to insure. In the past couple of years, the insurance costs for my Ram have jumped 100s of $ each year.

No discount for a factory alarm, parked in a garage, limited use, or the start button defeat switch I installed. I may as well live in the city for the prices I'm now paying.
IIRC, it's about $1350 Canadastan $.

After shopping around, prices seem to be about the same at other agencies.

yep, we're paying more for insurance down here in Kentucky because, according to the insurance company, the threats of weather, especially hail. We're paying almost double of what we paid in NYS.

Notice that these days, they total every time a vehicle gets damaged, not to mention the increased numbers of uninsured drivers, hit and runs, phone users, drunk driving, and my favorite is insurance companies offering the minimal policies (like liberty mutual) where those people have very little basic coverage, and your own insurance has to make up the difference.

we can't win....now we have to pay college tuition when i didn't even attend college. I should demand a degree in something i'm paying for! lol
In Arkansas I was paying $96/mo for full coverage for two vehicles - my 2023 RAM and my wife's 2013 Jeep Patriot. One month later, we're living in AZ and the insurance for my RAM alone is $106/mo.

And the registration for my RAM here was ~$800 for one year. In AR we were paying $22 for both vehicles for 3 years, or about $3.50 per year per vehicle. Arkansas loves their military and military retirees and gave me a really good deal. There is no military discount for vehicle registration here in AZ unless you're Active Duty or 100% disabled.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shhh - don’t brag on Arkansas too much. Trying to keep people fleeing blue states from flooding in here.

I might be looking for a new home next year if the same idiot gets elected up here.

I don't know if there's any freshwater caves to entertain me though.

Cheap auto insurance sounds great.

OP
OP
M

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
as a foot note...when i questioned the $300+ dollar part, they removed it from the total. Not that i had to pay for it, the insurance company did. My deductible was only $250, so, the rest was paid by state farm.

I just didn't like the idea that that part was not even close to the damaged side, and obviously they damaged it trying to remove the box.

However, when i picked the truck up, it was immaculate inside and out. I asked what interior cleaner they used and it was some stuff by Auto Magic Complete Interior. I'm going to order some on Amazon.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Shhh - don’t brag on Arkansas too much. Trying to keep people fleeing blue states from flooding in here.
We moved from N CA to Mansfield, AR in 2013. We were really rural with 10 acres out in the sticks, and many of the few neighbors that we had were kind of suspicious of us at first. Until they saw me heading out with the bass boat to fish, and then in the winter coming home with a strap full of ducks and my retriever. I don't think you have to worry too much, other than maybe for Little Rock and NWA. The rest of the state is mostly too "country" and rural for the bluenecks.

Last edited:

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got rear ended at a stop light in my 2016 in October. To replace the right bed side, bumper, tow hitch and repair the tailgate it was 9500. If you weren't at fault go after their insurance company for diminished value, any possible medical expenses, time off work etc. they will initially reject you, keep fighting. They refused my initial 3 requests for diminished value, after mentioning I may need an attorney and letting them sit because I refused to sign the release, we started to negotiate. Did I get the 5800 I wanted, no, but I got 2750

sblack33741

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar ETorque
Which kind of indicates they damaged the original one when the removed the bed. If that is the case, it's on them to replace it on their dime.
Make sure they did the damage. When you got hit, the bed could have shifted and broke the part.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
as a foot note...when i questioned the $300+ dollar part, they removed it from the total. Not that i had to pay for it, the insurance company did. My deductible was only $250, so, the rest was paid by state farm.

I just didn't like the idea that that part was not even close to the damaged side, and obviously they damaged it trying to remove the box.

However, when i picked the truck up, it was immaculate inside and out. I asked what interior cleaner they used and it was some stuff by Auto Magic Complete Interior. I'm going to order some on Amazon.
You are taking a lot for granted, how many trucks have YOU worked on? I have seen stuff bent, cracked that was not noticed when taken apart , till you start to put everything back together, then something pops up, being on the other side don't matter, and sometimes plastic breaks when you try to take it apart. Not everything goes at it should .

OP
OP
M

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
You are taking a lot for granted, how many trucks have YOU worked on? I have seen stuff bent, cracked that was not noticed when taken apart , till you start to put everything back together, then something pops up, being on the other side don't matter, and sometimes plastic breaks when you try to take it apart. Not everything goes at it should .
so, if a nmchanic cracks the head of your truck engine because he torqued them too much, you'll just let it slide and eat the costs?

i expect a body shop to know what they're doing, truck is fairly new with 23k miles. I'm paying them a lot of money per hour for their expertise, not their blunders.