Truetrac oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyler Yates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What gear oil are you guys running in the truetrac? See the truetrac unit recommends 80w90 and the ram rear end calls for 75w140.

Reactions: U&A

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can't go wrong with Redline or Amsoil SG. If you decide on the thinner oil these will protect the diff much better then some random otc fluid as the base oils will stick in the heat better and won't loose viscosity in use as well.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If you’re installing an aftermarket carrier then you should listen to the manufacture.

If you’re breaking in a brand new one I would not run a synthetic. Do a couple real short intervals and then jump to synthetic

JMO.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

OP
OP
Tyler Yates

Tyler Yates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you’re installing an aftermarket carrier then you should listen to the manufacture.

If you’re breaking in a brand new one I would not run a synthetic. Do a couple real short intervals and then jump to synthetic

JMO.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Copy. Ill go with the 80w90 then.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Since the main wear areas that need film strength are the gears and bearings, I’d take Ram’s spec. Every manufacturer has lowered viscosity everywhere possible. They went with 75W-140 because of some issue with lower viscosity. IMO.

Depending on what temperature you’re operating at, the two oils are going to cross over each other anyway.

Unless you’re operating under some extreme loads, I doubt it makes a difference. Probably none of us could tell any difference in how it drives or how it wears.

TruTracs are not lube sensitive the same way clutch type diffs are.

OP
OP
Tyler Yates

Tyler Yates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since the main wear areas that need film strength are the gears and bearings, I’d take Ram’s spec. Every manufacturer has lowered viscosity everywhere possible. They went with 75W-140 because of some issue with lower viscosity. IMO.

Depending on what temperature you’re operating at, the two oils are going to cross over each other anyway.

Unless you’re operating under some extreme loads, I doubt it makes a difference. Probably none of us could tell any difference in how it drives or how it wears.

TruTracs are not lube sensitive the same way clutch type diffs are.
Rodge. I guess i go ahead with ram specs then. Cheaper to buy anyways

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OE goes as light as possible for better fuel mile and do not care if dies after warranty is over

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have Truetracs f/r in my TJ Wrangler. They don't "recommend" synthetic oil, although I'm not sure it matter too much, and they don't recommend gear oil with friction modifier, and finding oil that doesn't have that, isn't super easy. I used some cheap basic 80w90 because it didn't have it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Don't run synthetic with a True Trac,just hunt up the cheaper old style mineral gear oil.True tracs need a little bit of friction to operate properly and synthetic can cut the friction factor down to where it might not operate properly.I change the oil in my true trac diff yearly,but the old style mineral gear lube is cheap as hell,so it's not a big deal to change it.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I put synthetic in my true trac on my 69 and had to drain it right back out ! Its a big no no on a True trac.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Some Synthetics have many offerings to accommodate this style gearbox, ones without Friction modifiers and less then gl-5 rating, I think choosing the wrong stuff will cost you. They should have a spec?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
They do Burla. This is from pg 52 of my set-up manual for my True Trac.

"True Trac units perform best when using GL5 mineral /petroleum based gear oil . Synthetic lubes are discouraged .Do not use friction modifier additives or lubes formulated with friction modifiers"

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeap when I put in the synthetic oil it made the unit lock up then it would pop real loud and free its self then lock up , it sounded and looked like it was going to break a axle as I moved the truck. It was pretty violent sounding and looking.
I drained it put in none synthetic and it worked perfectly fine.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
More info needed, which synthetic oil? Almost any group 3 synthetic you buy off the shelf will have lsd additive in the formula. I get it, they say use group 2 so just use group 2, but I'm saying some synthetic formulas offer benefits if someone wanted to use those. If not keep it simple use the group 2 stuff, group 2 is better than ever before because of the value of waxes, so more of these have been taking out then years past.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
More info needed, which synthetic oil? Almost any group 3 synthetic you buy off the shelf will have lsd additive in the formula. I get it, they say use group 2 so just use group 2, but I'm saying some synthetic formulas offer benefits if someone wanted to use those. If not keep it simple use the group 2 stuff, group 2 is better than ever before because of the value of waxes, so more of these have been taking out then years past.

I'd just hunt up the mineral lube they recommend,it's not hard to find,and is cheap as hell.Rear ends ran for years on good old GL5 mineral based gear lube with-out issues,lol. I get mine at my local Canadian Tire,lol

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The big issue with torsen type designs and synthetics is the impact on the worm gear function and torque bias. Certain designs are more forgiving of a synthetic than others and it all depends on how the unit was setup. If you want the Eaton designed performance parameters then the easy choice is the dyno 80W90 changed regularly with no guess work.

I have seen quite a few truetrac equipped mustangs running 75w90NS or even heavy shockproof that worked well, but you'd be taking a gamble for sure. Also noted that most of these cars were beat on heavily either road racing or autoxing with frequent fluid changes so it is certainly an edge case usage lol.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whatever you do don't go for the synthetic ones unless you know for a fact they don't contain FM. Most Synt diff fluids if not all of them have FM one way or the other.

Torco RGO 85w90 or 85w140 will work with the TT, NO FM
If picking from Autozone or Oreallys, cheapest conventional diff fluid typically won't have FM.
I used to use the Autozone brand 6$ per quart.