tuner question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevTN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi/8speed 4x4
I am wanting to maximize my mpg. Would I be better off getting a turner or a CAI first? I have read about tuners but they still are working there bugs out of the 13s. I do have the 8speed tranny.

Thanks

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Tuner will help you the most. With the way these trucks use calculations based on air density and all that, a CAI is mostly for the sound and ease of cleaning unless your pushing big power, which would require a tuner.

tkyle486

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i would look at getting the CAI and the PTB all in one purchase

Gunz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Best gas saver is your right foot if you can figure out how to apply pressure accordingly, unfortunately I am still trying to figure that one out lol.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Best gas saver is your right foot if you can figure out how to apply pressure accordingly, unfortunately I am still trying to figure that one out lol.

All the guys are right on this one, I personally have the Vararam CAI and I couldn't be happier. No tune for me (yet) just because of money. I noticed about a 1mpg increase in my average after I got the Vararam.

I guess it comes down to money. If you have a TON of cash, I would get the tuner and the CAI, but if you only have a little money, my personal opinion would be to get the CAI first and the tuner down the road.

Like you said, the tuners for the '13s are still new so you have plenty of time to get one without bugs.

OP
OP
KevTN

KevTN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi/8speed 4x4
Thanks for the info guys. I do not have a ton of cash...so i may look at the CAI first.

Thanks

FeedMetal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have a 13 and i changed my exhaust to a 14" instead of the stock 26" lol and i also installed a afe stage 2 cai.
since im pretty sure i gained mpg lol like Gunz86 said its all in your right foot.
i push harder on the gas to hear it and it sounds awesome n loud. but i have to train myself not to hear it to get the benefits. gonna need a lot of training lol

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I don't have a tuner--not sure I'm that much of a gear head anyway. I have a CAI which helped, but believe it or not, I gained MPG with the catch can. I can only guess the ole Hemi didn't like digesting that Pennsylvania crude they call motor oil. Take away the blow-by and even in A/C season, the [not so] ole air-pumper seems a little livelier--frisky even. Yes, my lead foot gets in the way sometimes, but when I moderate the stomps on the skinny pedal, my MPG has improved :driver: :waytogo:

Last edited:

Bully's Performance

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Everything stated above is accurate.

The biggest gas saver is your right foot.

Second would be a tuner (I have read reports of 2-5 with a tuner I have personally experienced 3 MPG gains with my Diablo Sport Trinity T1000 and custom White Lightning tune)

Third would be a CAI I have seen on average 1-3 depending on which one you go with, my favorite is the Vararam for the power and the looks I get about 1.5 mpg's out of it on top of the the 3 with my tuner.

Fourth would be a Bed cover believe it or not I did see gains when I added on on however it is not near as much as most manufactures state you can get I added .5 - .75mpg when I put on the BakFlip G2.

If you need pricing for any of these items listed anywhere in this thread just let me know I would be more than happy to get you the best pricing available on the net!

Thanks
Jeremiah

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a Tuner on my 05 2500 Cummins and it made a huge difference. Very impressive. All of the bugs going on right now with the 13s I'm holding out. Not sure there is quite as much bang for the buck with a gas tuner but I may still get one eventually. I have the Vararam that I got from Bully Performance above!! I haven't noticed any MPG improvements as of yet, but I haven't gone a full tank without pulling something.