Tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gablett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I’m considering a tuner for my 5.7. It’s a 13 1500. I’m not sure what I should get. Not sure if I really need the top of the line diablosport. At most I may put shorty headers on it and a cold air intake but that would be it. Would like to be able to diagnose any codes and turn off mds if that is a good idea to prolong life. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Most of us use the DiabloSport i3 tuner to turn off MDS and either dyno tune the truck or use a canned tune. It also reads codes. No matter what (unless you find a used 1) you’re looking at $300+ for it. The canned tunes are ok but not great. Getting the truck dyno tunes has a lot more benefits.

The down side to any tuner is the risk of bricking the computer and not being able to use the truck until either the company sends it back to you or the dealership reprograms it.

OP
OP
G

gablett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had a few Diablosports .. easy enough to use for the average fella and it'll do everything you want it for.

If you were to do CAI and Headers and "That would be it". Stop lying to yourself.. That would only be the beginning!

lol it seems you’ve heard this before. A couple manifold bolts are broken so I figured as long as the manifolds are off......

Dantra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol it seems you’ve heard this before. A couple manifold bolts are broken so I figured as long as the manifolds are off......

My wife and I had matching (color) Magnum RTs for years.. She still has her "baby" but I ended up moving on. When we first got her bone stock Magnum, she didn't even know what a mod was lol. But once she got the bug.. It was on! We put alot of time into those cars and did alot of group activity.. Shows, drag strip and hanging out wherever.

Her car (now) pictured. We run a Diablo can tune with CAI and exhaust. The tune made a modest gain at the track.. 14s

My Magnum was more slammed and was running a custom tune, headers, cat delete, JBA Exhaust, Crazy Jay Cam, 3000 Stahl, Decked and Ported heads with a Hundy Shot. Was a 12 second grocery getter.

For time being I'm glad to be free of complicated mods. Had I kept as simple as hers, I may still have my old Magnum. Loved that car.

With that said, keep it practical and the love will last.

Screenshot_20191023-140419.png

Screenshot_20191023-140427.png

Screenshot_20191023-140352.png

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've had a few Diablosports .. easy enough to use for the average fella and it'll do everything you want it for.

If you were to do CAI and Headers and "That would be it". Stop lying to yourself.. That would only be the beginning!

I think it’s beyond a disease as once you start the only thing that stops you is money and credit and time!. It’s like Lays, bet you can do just one!! Lol

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd go with a Diablosport as well. I've used them, and helped others use them, on many MOPAR HEMI equipped cars and trucks.

The Diablosport I2 and custom tune package I got from Matt @ Moe's Performance for my 6.4L HEMI powered 2500 was fantastic. Even more amazing was the Diablosport Predator and CMR dyno tune I got for my 6.1L HEMI powered Chrysler 300 SRT8. Damn car was traction limited for the entire time I had the tune on it. Wayyyy too much fun to drive.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My wife and I had matching (color) Magnum RTs for years.. She still has her "baby" but I ended up moving on. When we first got her bone stock Magnum, she didn't even know what a mod was lol. But once she got the bug.. It was on! We put alot of time into those cars and did alot of group activity.. Shows, drag strip and hanging out wherever.

Her car (now) pictured. We run a Diablo can tune with CAI and exhaust. The tune made a modest gain at the track.. 14s

My Magnum was more slammed and was running a custom tune, headers, cat delete, JBA Exhaust, Crazy Jay Cam, 3000 Stahl, Decked and Ported heads with a Hundy Shot. Was a 12 second grocery getter.

For time being I'm glad to be free of complicated mods. Had I kept as simple as hers, I may still have my old Magnum. Loved that car.

View attachment 184227

View attachment 184228

View attachment 184229
This is sharp a hell very nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get yourself HPTuners and a custom tune from a reputable tuner. You can also learn with this stuff and do it yourself. Want to add long headers and Vararam, maybe throw a cam in? NOS, Supercharger/Turbocharger, the sky is the limit with HPTuners.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
have a old i 1000 tuner but was told just use it runs great on truck a lot of mods one each year the ebay 91mm throttle works sooo sweet lost 1/2 mpg who cares right with volant air cleaner flowmaster and tune goes sooo great oh turn off mds ok guy I talk with 114,000 lifeters all blew 5,000 for him to fix such a bad idea they did this build a few engines what a wast I think ! think this is why at 0 cold guys are having a lot of tapping noise owwww right ! maybe oil some gone down to 0-20 for winter to stop it ! hope they use amsoil at 30 below no problems here !

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
So I’m considering a tuner for my 5.7. It’s a 13 1500. I’m not sure what I should get. Not sure if I really need the top of the line diablosport. At most I may put shorty headers on it and a cold air intake but that would be it. Would like to be able to diagnose any codes and turn off mds if that is a good idea to prolong life. Any suggestions?

I got one cuz worry about bad mds solenoids not opening all the way to oil bad lifters dodge used ! mine dodge fix a lot but screw up axle testing it now have to tow in for repairs and a nut that does work right on line dorman 10.00 but need a axle place to put it on ok ! ya I change gears if not 3.1 ur screwed

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine

View attachment 184227

View attachment 184228

View attachment 184229
wow sooo sweet but need a air filter hehehe not clean lol

twam911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have stock 2016 big horn 5.7 4x4. I know absolutely 0 about tuners. I just want to spruce up torq and hp some. to get better mpg if possible. Turn off speed limiter.
What does turning off MDS? I will not be changing exhaust or put in cold air (maybe). I hear about tuning the fuel injectors help, again I know 0. Any ideas, knowledge you can give would be great.

Mike

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have stock 2016 big horn 5.7 4x4. I know absolutely 0 about tuners. I just want to spruce up torq and hp some. to get better mpg if possible. Turn off speed limiter.
What does turning off MDS? I will not be changing exhaust or put in cold air (maybe). I hear about tuning the fuel injectors help, again I know 0. Any ideas, knowledge you can give would be great.

Mike

First thing you need is an unlocked PCM from usually either HP or Diablo.Price out the PCM and tuner first then decide if it's still viable option.Buying or sending your stock PCM in for unlocking adds a noticeable amount to the tuning cost.You can send your original PCM in for unlocking which does drop the price a lot,but then your truck is down while you wait for the PCM.

E-rok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First thing you need is an unlocked PCM from usually either HP or Diablo.Price out the PCM and tuner first then decide if it's still viable option.Buying or sending your stock PCM in for unlocking adds a noticeable amount to the tuning cost.You can send your original PCM in for unlocking which does drop the price a lot,but then your truck is down while you wait for the PCM.

Isnt it $500 for a pcm swap and a diablo i3 tuner? And they send you a pcm first....

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Contact Moe's Performance-a preferred vendor on this forum. I think they have a "package deal" with Diablo and Hemifever so you can get the PCM and tuner and Hemifever does a custom tune specifically for your truck.
Jay

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
I have a Diablosport Trinity T1000 tuner for my truck. The hemifever 93 octane custom tune made a significant increase over the canned 93 octane tune...well worth it!

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
i just looked on moes website. It lists the Trinity T2 tuner for $599. In the description it says you can add the tune for $30 when purchasing with the tuner. Up in the dropdown it says to add $55 for the tune. If you add it to the cart its $55 for the tune. So not sure which one is correct. They say 30 but charge 55.