Turn signal false errors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cobra514

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hi all.

I've spent hours reading many forums and watching many videos, but I can't find an issue like this.

I have a 2014 1500 Laramie that's throwing two faults: B163A (left front turn signal) and B163E (right front turn signal). Those are short circuit to + battery/open circuit faults. So I also get the errors on the screen and I get the fast indicator blink in-vehicle). The front lamp assemblies were replaced with aftermarket parts - but they are of the same type as original (main projectors and LEDs for turn/parking). I can't find any lamps burned out anywhere on the vehicle (or bad connectors). It was an AZ vehicle so not much corrosion anywhere.

AlphaOBD says the turns are already set up for LEDs.

What do I do? Any ideas?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The lighting circuit that drives each lighting system, for example, the parking/turn lamps, expects to see a current flow within a range that is deemed normal and indicates the lighting is operational. I don't know what those values are but my first guess is the aftermarket lamps installed either pull more or less than the expected amount of current.

A reasonable guess is the aftermarket lamps are pulling less current than what is expected hence the open circuit DTC.

You need to discover the current consumption of the factory lamps and compare that to what the aftermarket lamps are pulling. You may have to add a resistive load in addition to the lamps to satisfy the current flow requirement.

OP
OP
C

Cobra514

Reaction score
Ram Year
my first guess is the aftermarket lamps installed either pull more or less than the expected amount of current.
Thanks BossHogg. Yes, that was my first guess as well. I was thinking of buying a cheap cosmetically damaged lamp assy. to install and compare.

The only thing that gives me pause is that I spent 2-3 hours per day for the last week before reaching out for help on the forums. I've never seen anybody with the same issue - which makes me think I'm missing something else. Lots of issues of course changing lighting technology (especially headlamp), but not LED to LED.

Thanks for the reply!
-Tim

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
locate the Flasher unit & see if it is LED Compatible

Otherwise, i agree with BossHogg

OP
OP
C

Cobra514

Reaction score
Ram Year
I disabled the faults. Just took a configuration change with AlphaOBD. I disabled diagnostics on the front turns. I think I can live without that feature if it saves me over $1k on OE headlamp assembies, lol.

Besides. I'm old. I grew up with (and still own) vehicles so old they have no turn signal diags.