UConnect Theme Modifications

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigEagle12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone figured out a way to modify the theme for your UConnect 8.4A/N?

I'd like to either just put a different ghosted picture in the background of the touch screen (in place of the ram head), or do a complete overhaul of it but I have been unable to locate anyone that has done this. Has anyone here done that before? If so, do you mind pointing me in the right direction so that I can mess around with it a bit?

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It would be cool if we could change it out. :)

OP
OP
BigEagle12

BigEagle12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I want to theme it differently so that it is a bit more customized feeling but I am not sure where to begin because I do not want to ruin the unit.

Llando88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Not a mod, but I am trying to understand the different Theme settings on my 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 with uConnect 8.4AN.

My Display settings list 9-10 'themes' identified as 'Theme 1' 'Theme 2' etc.

I can't really tell any difference when I change them.

The manual doesn't offer any info at least that I've found.

Where can I find a good explanation of the Themes and what changes they make in the system?

TIA

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: vjb

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
The theme changes are subtle mostly color. There currently is no factory method to add or modify extra or existing themes on these radios like there was on the MYGIG radios. With the addition of drag and drop icons on the 2016 one can only suspect that maybe in 2017 or maybe even an update for the 2016 radios may give you that. But I would not count on FIAT making that capability backward compatible for the 2013 thru 2015 radios, though the 2015 radios do have themes.

If you were savy enough you could modify the backdrop images in the update files from uconnect and then reflash your radio, but you could wind up bricking it in the process.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My RA4 still had the complimentary trial subscription when I got it and it and my donar Vin# show it was out of a 2014 2500 Longhorn and I don't have any theme at all. It's just a brushed steel looking type screen. I don't mind it. I kinda like the way it looks but I have wondered why I see some 14 radios with the ram head theme and mine doesn't have it.

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The factory theme settings change the color and the background pictures. As far as I know you can only use the pre-programmed ones.

I run mine on the red accent with the "tire tracks" background pic. I think it's theme #6. I don't really like the tire track pic as my truck is a sport truck and those tracks look like off road tire tracks but it's pretty faint so I don't really notice it and I do like the Red accent color, matches the needles on the cluster.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
different themes came with the latest uconnect update, the one for security, after the update you should have 6 different ones, one has a ram, other has a longhorn, the others I haven't looked at that close other than there is a blue one, have not found red but I have 4 flavors of orange,

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the latest security update on.my 14 RA4 and I still don't have interchangeable themes.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I wonder if having the RA4 sales code added THEN doing an update if that would force the themes option to show up on an RA3/4. The themes were a part of the last update I did, I watched the "skins" part flash up during my update. I just for some reason cant change them. The radio knows its in a Ram and it can obviously read sales codes because it will add/remove options to suit. But it just isnt seeing the sales code.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the RA4 option code added last week. I still don't have the skins. I guess I could reload the firmware and see if it showes up but a doubt it will.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I had the RA4 option code added last week. I still don't have the skins. I guess I could reload the firmware and see if it showes up but a doubt it will.
Dam... Could be worth a shot.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So is mine

There were 10 parts in the last firmware update, security was only one of them, did you let the whole update download run? My themes button shows up in settings, when you touch it it opens a window that shows 1-6 just touching one changes it to that theme. If yours is not like that I would call uconnect for help.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
You have a 15 truck with a 15 radio I presume? They have 14 radios, I have never seen a 15 radio
that did not have the themes, but I have never seen a 14 radios that has them? In updating 14 radios
in the past I have seen the "SKINS" unit update as well but never got any themes when it was done.

Last edited:

Llando88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
You have a 15 truck with a 15 radio I presume? They have 14 radios, I have never seen a 15 radio
that did not have the themes, but I have never seen a 14 radios that has them? In updating 14 radios
in the past I have seen the "SKINS" unit update as well but never got any themes when it was done.

If that question was directed to me, mine is a '16 2500 Laramie Crew cab.

All I have is 'Theme 1' through 'Theme 9' available to pick from, with no explanation in the UConnect supplement as to what these mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I dont think its a 15+ radio matter. There is some other underlying thing keeping themes inaccessible on some radios when on some others you can change them. Back when people were just starting to put the 8.4 radios in their trucks and just using the stock 5.0 or OEM Auto bezel, I saw several guys were changing themes on their radios. 15 radios werent really around then anyway. So it was either a 13 or 14 radio that they were using. If you browse the old 8.4 thread there are pictures in there. Some had the Ram head, some were blank and some had the Longhorn theme up.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I dont think its a 15+ radio matter. There is some other underlying thing keeping themes inaccessible on some radios when on some others you can change them. Back when people were just starting to put the 8.4 radios in their trucks and just using the stock 5.0 or OEM Auto bezel, I saw several guys were changing themes on their radios. 15 radios werent really around then anyway. So it was either a 13 or 14 radio that they were using. If you browse the old 8.4 thread there are pictures in there. Some had the Ram head, some were blank and some had the Longhorn theme up.

Yes that is true but I think that was with an older firmware version 13.xx.xx, some also had the soft key to turn on and off turn by turn in the EVIC. I believe they lost this when they updated to 14.xx.xx. I have had 2 2014 radios and now the 2015 radio. Both 2014s did not have themes and they both started out with 14.xx.xx firmware. The 2015 radio as you know has them. You had themes on your 2015 radio, but now with your 2014 radio you do not. There has to be something with the radio years and firmware versions. If it was the truck they are in why do the 15 radios the themes in the same host as 14 radios do not?