Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quentin Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
TLDR; Downloaded the latest RA2 update from Uconnect's website. It broke my radio (along with many others apparently) and their customer service is probably the worst

2 Weeks ago, I became the proud owner of a 2014 Ram 1500. Woo! The morning after getting home from the dealer, I got the fuel sensor failure warning on my dash. I researched the issue and found it is pretty widespread. I called the dealer and they took great care of me and got everything in the fuel system replaced. 72 hours in and already had my first service trip.

2 Days later, I had the factory backup camera installed at my local dealer. $600 and 2 more trips to the dealer later, the truck was perfect! Then when I plugged in my iPhone, I kept getting a 'files not supported' message and the bluetooth streaming sounded fuzzy. I came home and checked Uconnect's website and found that there was an update available to fix this. I downloaded the update onto a USB and begin the installation for my truck.

After the update was about 99% done, I received an 'error code 114'. Tried the update again, same result. Now my radio is stuck displaying the Uconnect screen. I came inside and searched the error and found the the update has broken dozens of other radios and requires a replacement.

I called Uconnect support around 6:30/7 and waited on hold for about 30 minutes. No answer, and was disconnected. Called back and after about 10 minutes was connected to an agent.

He said that unfortunately, my radio would likely need to be replaced and a case manager would give me a call in one business day. On my lunch break the next day (Friday), I called back to see if I could speak to my case manager (around 11:45am) since I had availability and likely wouldn't later in the day. I spoke to a customer service agent who said "Oh, you called in yesterday? Wow, ok, I'll transfer you to your case manager."

She transferred me and after waiting about 20 minutes the call disconnected. I called back, spoke to another agent, and was told "Your case manager rejected the call, expect to hear back from him by 5pm. They have one business day to contact you." OK, got it but could've not pretended to transfer me before.

At 5:30, I called in again, still having received no call. Was told again I'd be contacted soon. Around 6:30, my case manager called and apologized for the delay. I was told that the radio would likely need to be replaced. He explained that since the dealership was closed (since the call was delayed, hence why I called in earlier) that I would hear from him by Tuesday with next steps to get an appointment at my local dealer. When asked what the fastest way to get this fixed was he said unfortunately this is the only option.

I waited patiently for Tuesday and at 1:20pm recieved an email that said "Still waiting to hear from the dealership, left a voicemail, you'll hear from me Thursday." At this point, I was extremely frustrated. In 5 days, no progress was made and the only update was essentially 'I'll get back to you'. Mind you, this is a problem that was CAUSED BY UCONNECT. I responded and was told my 'patience was appreciated while they wait to hear back from the dealership.' My response was basically, here's their number - I can call and they answer, have you not been able to call in the past 5 days? Now I have to wait 2 more to even get something scheduled? He responded that if I wanted to get things done sooner, I could schedule the appointment myself, pay out of pocket (and get reimbursement up to 30 business days later), take the truck in first for a diagnosis, then a replacement. Essentially, do it yourself and this will all be wrapped up in a month, at best.

Now I was pissed. Nevertheless, I called and scheduled the appointment, got the diagnosis scheduled for a week later, and the installation of the radio 2 days after that. The case manager indicated he could expedite the shipment, so the dealer was nice enough to trust that the part would be there by the time the installation appointment came around. I followed up with the case manager to confirm the radio could be there by then and was told "I'll do my best and will follow up with you close to the appointment date." So now they can't even confirm that they can have a radio shipped to the dealer for the appointment that I scheduled and I am paying out of pocket for, WITHIN A WEEK AND A HALF?

Beyond frustrated, I called my case manager for an explanation. I dialed what he gave me as his "direct line" and received a generic service agent. She transferred me, I sat on hold for 15 minutes, and shocker, I was disconnected. I called in again, spoke to another agent who tried connecting me, and after 10 minutes was rerouted to her. She said "your case manager appears to be declining the calls. I will try transferring you again and make a note on the account."

Around 5:30, I finally was directly transferred to my case manager and explained the situation to him. He assured me he was "very good at his job" and was sorry that the information wasn't to my liking. No progress was made, no confirmation was given that the part would be there for the appointment, and I asked to speak to his supervisor. I was, of course, told I would be called in one business day.

Today, at 12:41, I received a call from his supervisor. I missed it (my phone only rings for 30 seconds and I was away from my desk), but called back 4 minutes later. I got a customer service agent who told me "you're on the schedule for a followup call at the end of the day." I waited until the end of the day, no call, so I called in and was told I would be getting a call tomorrow.

In total, in a weeks worth of time to solve THE PROBLEM UCOONNECT CAUSED, the case manager has sent TWO EMAILS TO THE DEALERSHIP AND DIDN'T GET ANYTHING SCHEDULED. I can't speak to customer service unless I happen to be watching my phone the 15 second window they call, and I can't confirm with the dealership that the appointment will be upheld (THAT I HAD TO SCHEDULE AND PAY OUT OF POCKET FOR).

Is this terrible customer service or am I just not used to car manufacturer runarounds? Am I being impatient here? I would have expected at least an update within 6 days. I downloaded an update that is known to cause issues, still hosted on their site, and in their opinion a 3 week turnaround time with customer paying out of pocket and scheduling their own appointments is considered by them to be "good customer service."

On the plus side, I love the truck. Will probably just buy the radio from infotainment.com, have it overnighted, and fix it myself in less than 2 days. Opinions appreciated.

END RANT

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you decide to just buy a replacement radio there's absolutely no nead to buy it from infotainment and pay their inflated prices. You can easily buy one from a wrecking yard or eBay and install it in your truck and it will work Plug and Play. You can sometimes pick up an RA2 for $50 to $75. In some cases you may need to get the radio theft code which is easy to do from the dealer as long as you have the information of the truck it came out of or there's places you can get it online. To actually change the radio takes around 20 minutes tops. If you decide to buy a radio yourself make sure it comes out of a 4-door truck if your truck is a 4-door truck. The only problems people have had in the past is if they get a radio that came out of a two-door truck sometimes the speaker fade does not show the back speakers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you decide to just buy a replacement radio there's absolutely no nead to buy it from infotainment and pay their inflated prices. You can easily buy one from a wrecking yard or eBay and install it in your truck and it will work Plug and Play. You can sometimes pick up an RA2 for $50 to $75. In some cases you may need to get the radio theft code which is easy to do from the dealer as long as you have the information of the truck it came out of or there's places you can get it online. To actually change the radio takes around 20 minutes tops. If you decide to buy a radio yourself make sure it comes out of a 4-door truck if your truck is a 4-door truck. The only problems people have had in the past is if they get a radio that came out of a two-door truck sometimes the speaker fade does not show the back speakers.

I'm assuming you have no idea why people purchase their radios from infotainment?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm assuming you have no idea why people purchase their radios from infotainment?
No personally I don't and I have had my own experiences with Infotainment for me to feel the way I do. Out of respect I won't get into that. I personally do not care where anybody buys their radio but I am going to express my opinion and let him know there's other much less expensive places to get the same exact radio with a 60 to 90 day warranty which in my opinion is plenty of time to see if a radio has an issue.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Apple car play, Android Auto. Neither of those are in your salvage units for pre 2018 trucks.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Apple car play, Android Auto. Neither of those are in your salvage units for pre 2018 trucks.
Your right but he needs a RA2 not UAS or UAQ. I actually have a new UAQ with Apple Car Play and Android Auto that I bought new from Benny and All Mopar Parts.Com for less than Infotainment sells them for. There is nothing special needed to install it in the 2017 and earlier trucks. I bought the Hub from Benny as well and it all works Plug and Play with a M2 mods hub harness.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope everything works out for you.

Another option, if you decide to do things on your own, would be to replace the radio with an aftermarket version that has a lot more features (if your into that kind of stuff). You may be happier in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fedup

Reaction score
Sucks man. My radio failing caused me more money then you can imagine!
Best thing to do is replace it asap from a member here or ebay or salvage yard.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Q

Quentin Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks everyone! I've actually been contacting salvage yards as was suggested, but no dice. And since I just had the backup camera installed, I want to make sure to get one that is plug and play with that and not have to go back to the dealer to have it reflashed.

I'm actually happy with the 5" RA2 (weird coming from an 8 inch mylink with carplay in my last car) and am just looking for as close as a direct replacement for that as possible.

Seems like the old adage is still holding true: "If you want something done right (or on time), do it yourself."

OP
OP
Q

Quentin Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope everything works out for you.

Another option, if you decide to do things on your own, would be to replace the radio with an aftermarket version that has a lot more features (if your into that kind of stuff). You may be happier in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a radio with Apple car play and a bunch more features in my last car ('17 Camaro), but didn't find myself using them all that often. Since I'm an Apple guy, I'm stuck on Apple maps (which sucks) while using carplay, so I usually just played directions from Wayze over bluetooth while listening to music.

OP
OP
Q

Quentin Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sucks man. My radio failing caused me more money then you can imagine!
Best thing to do is replace it asap from a member here or ebay or salvage yard.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Oh man. What happened to yours? Same deal?