Uconnect Update - Device Not Supported USB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jp28173

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 Express and am trying to update the Uconnect. I downloaded the update and extracted all the folders/files to the root folder of the USB drive exactly as outlined in the instructions. I've tried a few different USB flash drives but every time I plug it in it says Loading... then Device Not Supported. Any ideas??

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What @MADDOG said above. You should also check if the USB is backwards compatible. Some claim to be, but usually are not. See if you can find an older one.

OP
OP
J

jp28173

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the above. I did convert to FAT32 before I added the files for each or the USB keys.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for the above. I did convert to FAT32 before I added the files for each or the USB keys.
What size is the USB drive. I believe minimum is 8GB, I use a 32GB...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I was told to erase the thumb drive, zero bytes
Then FAT 32

etc. etc.

I failed & went to Best Buy & they failed, then i went to the Dodge dealer & they tried, then a tech came back from taking time off.
He took about 1/2 hour & wished me a good day
I paid & left.

I still don't know what he did

OP
OP
J

jp28173

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think it’s a 3GB drive. The unzipped folders are only 1.16 GB so why would such a huge GB usb drive be required? I guess I could try to purchase a 32gb drive and try if that truly might be the issue?

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I think it’s a 3GB drive. The unzipped folders are only 1.16 GB so why would such a huge GB usb drive be required? I guess I could try to purchase a 32gb drive and try if that truly might be the issue?
It may show onl 1.6GB used on the drive, but often firmware packages require a fair bit of extra space on the media. That gets used for backing up the existing firmware, expanding files, scratch space for writing to during the update, etc.

best,
DG

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It may show onl 1.6GB used on the drive, but often firmware packages require a fair bit of extra space on the media. That gets used for backing up the existing firmware, expanding files, scratch space for writing to during the update, etc.

best,
DG
This. The files are compressed and need room to grow. I believe the older 8.4s minimum was 4GB to flash and newer ones are 8GB or 16GB. Can't remember which.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Fyi... I've had good success with basic 16gb SanDisk usb2.0 drives at Walmart. Bought several.