UConnect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dennis Montey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco-diesel
I have continuous problems with the UConnect system forgetting that it has paired with my phone. I also use my phone connected via USB for navigation (using a high grade cable). The dealer suggested this because the factory navigation sucks and is costly to update. Android navigation function often requests that I follow prompts on my phone to start navigation, but there are no prompts. Anyone else experience this? Any solutions?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Assume you have a UAQ 8.4 radio. Are you using correct port to connect to?

A couple things, you have to use a good data transfer cable and not just a charging cable. Second what phone and is software up to date. You should forget phone on radio and uninstall android auto or car play. Then first connect your phone to radio to get phone working. Make sure you have option selected to allow your phone to share contacts. Then if that is working, install android auto or car play and, ensuring you have good cable and right port it should work. My phone works different when connected to android auto than when just using it wirelessly.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The navigation maps in our trucks is exactly the same as the Here Navigation App
HERE launched a new public beta of its Android app. As of June 2015 the Here app was available as a free app in 118 countries and territories across the world for the Android and iOS platforms.

There are other navigation apps, that can be downloaded to your cell phone & then mirrored to the trucks radio

https://com.sx-magazine-wp.sixt.io/magazine/tips/top-free-navigation-apps/

davesrubyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is my experience with Android Auto.

When I bought my 2019 Bighorn, I tried Android Auto. It didn't work very well. I was using an older phone - Samsung S7 Edge. The phone and UConnect got asking well and worked fine when connected via Bluetooth, but with AA things slowed to a crawl. A new cable didn't help.

My S7 phone died and I went through several old 'spare' phones before I broke down and bought my current phone - Pixel 4a. Android Auto works much better. It is actually, IMHO, better in some ways than UConnect.

I think that the whole screen projection thing is pretty processor and memory intensive. A phone that is a bit old and under spec'd just won't work well.

There are gotchas. With AA, when the phone is connected to the truck, many functions are transferred to the truck screen. Phone operations like placing calls, etc must be fine via voice interaction or the truck screen. Navigation will be transferred to the truck, so if you or a passenger like to scroll maps and use the phones screen for calls while connected to AA, you will be a bit frustrated.

Waze is often a better nav app than Google maps - but not always. Music apps like Pandora and iHeart Radio seem to work well.

I believe that future vehicles will use AA and Apple Car Play in lieu of their own OS - like UConnect. Hyundai and KIA, I believe are already doing this with 2021 models.

One of my pet peeves when moving from vehicle to vehicle is the lack of s consistent interface. Lights, park brake, etc are all in different places and use a slightly different method of operation. For the infotainment systems, at least, using AA and CarPlay, provides this consistent interface.

FWIW, my wife hates Android Auto.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93