Universal/Under the Dash AC in '03 Ram 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhmills3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
The evaporator core in my 2003 Ram 1500 has a leak and needs to be replaced, but removing the dash is something that I dread (and may well be beyond my technical abilities) so I've been searching for alternatives to get the AC working in my truck again.

I've come across these universal under the dash AC units online and I'm strongly considering getting one rather than trying to pull my entire dash apart to replace the evaporator core. I see that they sell the full kits that come with the evaporator, compressor, etc. but they also sell just the under the dash evaporator unit itself separately.

My question is: could I buy one of these units and tie it into my truck's existing AC system rather than buying the whole kit? Everything else in my truck's AC system works fine; it's just that the evaporator core is leaking so bad it won't hold any freon. It seems to me it should be possible to run lines through the firewall into the cab and tie the under the dash unit into the existing AC system and just use it as my new AC.

Has anyone ever attempted this before or is it even worth attempting?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don’t think trying to combine them would work so easily. Just fix what you have , It will be a more certain fix ,where mixing systems is an experiment.

aviatorblackout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Agreed, taking apart the dash is not as bad as you would think. Take pictures as you go and label bolts/screws in bags. There is a lot of youtube videos. I got mine apart and back together in the same day- about 8 hours total. Never had done it before.

You don't have to remove the steering wheel either, if you slide back the driver seat you will be able to lower the steering wheel after removing a few bolts. This avoids an accidental airbag deployment

Don't forget to disconnect the battery