UPDATE - svc 4wd, check engine, trailer brake controller - SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arronisoutside

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2012 Ram 1500 Express, bought with 11 miles on it, and now just at 99,000 miles. Never had any trouble with it, ever, hands down, best pickup I have ever owned.

Yesterday, on the way to work, the SVC 4WD and traction control lights came on, shortly after, the check engine came on, and by the time I parked, the trailer brake controller was flashing "CF"

I will pull codes after work today, but I'm a little on edge since I need the pickup this weekend.

I'm hoping a connection is just coming loose, and not some animal chewing on wires.

Any common wire connections that come loose?

Attachments

• svc 4wd - traction control .jpg
    svc 4wd - traction control .jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 2
  • trailerbrake - CF .jpg
    trailerbrake - CF .jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 2

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sorry, I don't have any specific points to hit but a good 1st place is check the battery for good voltage and clean the battery terminals.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Might have wheel speed sensors or something similar go bad, have to get it checked. More than likely the more common issue with the traction control/service 4WD.

OP
OP
arronisoutside

arronisoutside

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UPDATE: So, used a code reader last evening, but a buddy of mine noticed that my taillights were on, even when in park. Not something I noticed, being in the cab staring at the warning lights.

Brake light switch was not making contact with the tab on the side of the brake pedal arm. adjusted it, cleared codes: ALL GOOD.

How that little button was pushed in, I have no idea, I'll replace it soon, as a precaution, but all those lights, including a check engine for a simple little switch....

FYI - This is the first issue I have ever encountered with my Ram. Best pickup I have ever owned, hands down.

blee03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
UPDATE: So, used a code reader last evening, but a buddy of mine noticed that my taillights were on, even when in park. Not something I noticed, being in the cab staring at the warning lights.

Brake light switch was not making contact with the tab on the side of the brake pedal arm. adjusted it, cleared codes: ALL GOOD.

How that little button was pushed in, I have no idea, I'll replace it soon, as a precaution, but all those lights, including a check engine for a simple little switch....

FYI - This is the first issue I have ever encountered with my Ram. Best pickup I have ever owned, hands down.

This post just saved me tons of frustration, time and money. Thank you!

I had the same exact symptoms as your truck did. I did have a p2121 code about 24 hours prior to my dash lighting up like a Christmas tree this morning.

I had previously replaced the throttle pedal, then a few months later a brake switch. (2012 Ram 2500 Mega cab Cummins)

Today I found the brake switch not making contact with the pedal when the pedal was fully released. I started up my truck and the brake lights where on without me pressing on the brake pedal. I adjusted the switch which took under 30 seconds to do. Everything is back to normal now.

To adjust the switch I pressed the brake pedal down a bit, pushed in on the brake switch plunger until it was pretty much all the way in, then I pulled the plunger back out manually to where I needed it. Worked great, I got lucky and only had to adjust it one time.

Thanks again for posting your resolution.