Updating Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CanadianMurph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone. I just bought a 2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab. First truck for me. I'm not a car/truck person. I know very little about how motor vehicles work, that's why I pay someone to do the work. However I want to start learning to do simple stuff. With that said, I need to replace my headlights. My current lights are stock but seem very dull. My question is, what kind of lights do you recommend I get to make my headlights brighter? I appreciate any help. Thanks

The Mountain

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Given that you say the lights seem dull, I'm going to guess that your truck doesn't have HID or LED headlights. That said, the truck's manual should tell you what kind of bulbs you would need to replace the existing headlight bulbs. That's usually the easiest way to upgrade. Replacing the bulbs on the Ram is not as easy as headlight replacement was back in the day. You have to take out the trim panel above the grill plus the grill itself and I think the fender liners, and then you can get to the headlights. There are videos out there that will walk you through it.

As for the bulbs themselves, there are a couple of manufacturers that make bulbs with brighter, "cooler" (as opposed to warm) colors. Look for 5000K or 6500K for the color. Some are more powerful than stock as well, though be careful about loading the wiring too much with a too-high-watt bulb.

If you still think they're too weak after the bulb replacement, then you can start looking into HID conversions.

OP
OP
C

CanadianMurph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Given that you say the lights seem dull, I'm going to guess that your truck doesn't have HID or LED headlights. That said, the truck's manual should tell you what kind of bulbs you would need to replace the existing headlight bulbs. That's usually the easiest way to upgrade. Replacing the bulbs on the Ram is not as easy as headlight replacement was back in the day. You have to take out the trim panel above the grill plus the grill itself and I think the fender liners, and then you can get to the headlights. There are videos out there that will walk you through it.

As for the bulbs themselves, there are a couple of manufacturers that make bulbs with brighter, "cooler" (as opposed to warm) colors. Look for 5000K or 6500K for the color. Some are more powerful than stock as well, though be careful about loading the wiring too much with a too-high-watt bulb.

If you still think they're too weak after the bulb replacement, then you can start looking into HID conversions.