Used to love my Ram...now...I dunno..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tmnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an issue with my 2014 1500
It felt like the electric steering rack was seizing up when I turned left
At first it was only sporadic and kept getting worse. A local dealer suggested I likely needed a new rack which I wasn’t too happy about

As I investigated the option of doing the work myself I accidentally discovered the problem wasn’t the steering rack but the universal joint in the steering Shaft was the problem

I cleaned it up and lubricated it and suddenly my problems were solved

I can’t say what might have happened if I had dropped it off but I am happy I didn’t

haven’t had an issue since

blkjeeptj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Today’s cars to those 30+ years ago is like comparing apples and oranges. Everything used to be mechanical and now it’s computer controlled. As things change and evolve, there are bound to be improvements, setbacks and things you just flat out tolerate.

Ain’t that the damned truth... as I started reading the OP’s post, I thought... why would you take your truck to the dealer for a rack? Then it dawned on me that they’re not engine driven hydraulic anymore, they’re electric, and controlled by the computer.

So fancy!

OP
OP
D

Dondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ain’t that the damned truth... as I started reading the OP’s post, I thought... why would you take your truck to the dealer for a rack? Then it dawned on me that they’re not engine driven hydraulic anymore, they’re electric, and controlled by the computer.

So fancy!

Yep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

So fancy!

It's not designed to be "fancy". It has a purpose. One function is so the computer can steer the vehicle during park assist. Another one part of ADAS function where the computer takes over throttle, brakes, AND steering to avoid an impending collision. Automated trailer backup is another.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
It's not designed to be "fancy". It has a purpose. One function is so the computer can steer the vehicle during park assist. Another one part of ADAS function where the computer takes over throttle, brakes, AND steering to avoid an impending collision. Automated trailer backup is another.

I don't need or want any of that. Will the knowledge of how to park be like the knowledge of how a clutch works in a generation?

Electric steering was initially sold as a fuel saving measure. No need for the parasitic loss of the belt driven power steering pump would give a slight boost to fuel economy, particularly on the highway when the electrical needs from the alternator would be low.

I don't want anything that decides it knows more than me based on limited sensor input. I might need to ram into something. Does it know it's a cardboard box in the road that just blew off a truck and that there's a semi up my rear? Criminals will certainly take advantage of an easy method to stop cars. I'll go back to a '70s Ford High Boy before I have a vehicle with over the air updates or that takes control of the vehicle away from me based on what it thinks is best for me.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't need or want any of that. Will the knowledge of how to park be like the knowledge of how a clutch works in a generation?

Electric steering was initially sold as a fuel saving measure. No need for the parasitic loss of the belt driven power steering pump would give a slight boost to fuel economy, particularly on the highway when the electrical needs from the alternator would be low.

I don't want anything that decides it knows more than me based on limited sensor input. I might need to ram into something. Does it know it's a cardboard box in the road that just blew off a truck and that there's a semi up my rear? Criminals will certainly take advantage of an easy method to stop cars. I'll go back to a '70s Ford High Boy before I have a vehicle with over the air updates or that takes control of the vehicle away from me based on what it thinks is best for me.

You and I are in the same mindset! I think if people would just get their ******* noses out of their I-phones, accidents would plummet. Ask any old school commercial airline pilot about whether he/she wants to fly a Boeing that gives the pilot control or an Airbus that is flown with a joystick and a slew of computers.

I am grateful that the late model Toyota saved my wife and her 2 girlfriends from a moron that turned left in front of them with literally no room for the girls to avoid the collision, by steering, braking, throttling the car in a direction that was counter-intuitive.
That said, if they'd been in one of the many older Suburbans I've owned in the past and not a crackerbox car and HAD the collision, they would have likely been just fine. Who knows for sure?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
OP, I understand your worries, plenty of opportunities for a steering fault like you experienced to be fatal. And there do seem to be multiple reports of rack issues. I’d trade it, as I have done in the past when safety or persistent reliability issues couldn’t be quickly resolved.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
"I also had them service the truck as it was due anyway...including the service AND the steering rack, we're looking at $2400 plus tax"

"So, we are going to have to put on the OEM rack which will cost $1825 instead of the $1625 for the aftermarket."

These two quotes are from the original OP post.
As I said before, an aftermarket rack is $1197.
Obviously someone here is not able to discern the difference between parts cost and TOTAL cost.
Or the obvious markup (hosing) by the dealer on said parts.

I'm done trying to impart the benefits of comprehension.

OP
OP
D

Dondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, yes, the aftermarket rack they quoted me was $1625. The OEM was $1875. See attached image of statement.

EFA9CD60-EFFA-46B7-A25B-45EC1AF7FE73.jpeg

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This thread has been modified to remove personal attacks.

Any repeat action of that sort will result in a warning and, potentially, a 7-day ban from this forum.

Be respectful of others here at RamForum.

gofish101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Outdoorsman CC
Engine
5.7 hemi
This thread has been modified to remove personal attacks.

Any repeat action of that sort will result in a warning and, potentially, a 7-day ban from this forum.

Be respectful of others here at RamForum.

Thank you. It was starting to get nasty and definitely not needed.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I dunno....my grandfather was the original owner of a 1950 mercury, 256 flathead, 3 on the tree with overdrive. When he died 10 years ago I drove the car 30 miles to my house. 275,000 miles and some change on it with just routine maintenance.
If something is made well and it's taken care of, it will last. Just sayin'
Think of how many spark plugs and main seals that old motor has gone through, compared to what a mid 70's 350 or our current 350/5.7liter HEMIs need. The need for regular and repair maintenance has dramatically decreased. On average modern engines last longer with less work & fewer parts, and suffer fewer catastrophic failures too.
When you look at the time, money, and effort it took your grandfather to keep that car up and adjusted for inflation you might be surprised at how it compares.
Hope you keep that rare old gal running well for years to come!

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
We need a point flying over your head smiley.

The guy is up to $2800 and counting on fixing a 1500 steering, the SAS quote I got from a local shop was 3500 to set a king pin in there, I am assuming that meant the kingpin would actually steer or I would likely be a tad disappointing. When it all done and he is out 2800 and counting, he will still have that weeny 1500 front end, while someone that put a king pin in their front end will have that front end outlast any truck.
O.K. Just got back, I would think if he wanted a 3/4 or 1 ton front end , that is the truck he would have bought, but you still have a back end that don't really carry much. I just don't see the point .

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 14 sport is electric, but I don't have all the other stuff, newer ones will I suppose. The dealer says it is trade time, nope, I think I have about 68000 Km on it and only thing it needed is some tires and oil changes. Auto breaking would be a nice thing . I needed that back in the 60's when a sightseer stop in the middle of a narrow bridge.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sheep.

It's become more noticeable to me in the last 6/8 months.

Willing to give up ALL freedoms for a false sense of security.

I'm not real optimistic about the long term...

I've noticed it since 1983 when I worked at a dealer ans the insurance department head brought an outside insurance salesman to tout HMO medical insurance plans. In my experience, HMO's are good for a few executives to get rich off of and terrible for the insured. I figured that out within 2 minutes of listening to this guest's schmooze.

Most people were mesmerized by how inexpensive the costs were.... nevermind the restrictive coverages and the dilatory nature of it when it came to getting major procedures ok'd.

I don't consider myself any brighter than the next guy, but money should never be the pinnacle of any purchasing decision; dollar value should be, IMHO.

Greedy corporate mucky mucks have long known the best way manipulate the masses is through the almighty dollar. As long as people exist, the falsehood of "FREE" will lull a majority to trade with them.

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Think of how many spark plugs and main seals that old motor has gone through, compared to what a mid 70's 350 or our current 350/5.7liter HEMIs need. The need for regular and repair maintenance has dramatically decreased. On average modern engines last longer with less work & fewer parts, and suffer fewer catastrophic failures too.
When you look at the time, money, and effort it took your grandfather to keep that car up and adjusted for inflation you might be surprised at how it compares.
I kinda went down the "apples to oranges" path but, when you bought a car back in golden days, you were fully aware and fully expected to do maintenance on it. It was part of owning a car. Every 10-15000 miles you did a tune up. I remember helping my grandfather do it as a kid. I don't ever remember that flathead leaking, it still doesn't.
I had a 75 C10 with a 350 boat anchor that seized up on the highway one night for no apparent reason. Mid 70's GM engines were garbage, like everyone else's.
As for the 5.7's needs? Why does it NEED 16 sparkplugs???? Why does it NEED multiple computers to run???? Why do I need electric steering that tries to kill me? And why do those 16 sparkplugs cost an arm and two legs????? Why does something that costs 75,000 new have so many problems?
The op, I think ,said something about the dealer telling him it's time to trade in at 65,000 miles?!?!? WTF???? I remember when I worked in a small, private shop and Hyundai had just come over. 60-70,000 miles and that car was junk. Smoking, leaking, farting, spitting....you name it. So that's where we are with Ram???? It is made by Fiat....all about lust and passion not so much about reliability......jus' sayin'.
Sorry for the rant. IMHO the race to be the most complex is getting out of hand.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It's perspective. In those days, people didn't sit on their collective butts for as many hours as seems today. They didn't have Cable TV and really didn't need it, So they found other things to do like tune up the car and change the oil, instead of watching Netflix or playing games on their I phone. The explosion of obesity and diabetes since those days has been proven to be a direct result of lifestyle changes.

BTW, My 1970 Impala went 100K miles before any extensive maintenance had to be done to it; not really a far cry from today's 50 thousand dollar vehicles. I paid 15 hundred dollars for it on a dealer used car lot when it was 5 years old and kept it several years... In hindsight, it didn't have a thing wrong with it, I just wanted a new Camaro.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
It's perspective. In those days, people didn't sit on their collective butts for as many hours as seems today. They didn't have Cable TV and really didn't need it, So they found other things to do like tune up the car and change the oil, instead of watching Netflix or playing games on their I phone.
You're recollection seems to differ from mine. There were many ways to spend ones time that were not working on autos, and basic stuff like keeping up a household, or meeting up with friends & family took longer. Clubs and churches had better attendance. The number of people who were able to maintain their vehicles and did so with competence was fairly small. Many people could not add oil or fill their tires and paid extra for full service stations with attached garages to perform work people would not or could not do in their own.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
. The number of people who were able to maintain their vehicles and did so with competence was fairly small. Many people could not add oil or fill their tires and paid extra for full service stations with attached garages to perform work people would not or could not do in their own.[/QUOTE]

That was your world. not mine. EVERY father in my neighborhood with a very few exceptions worked on. maintained their own cars to the extent of at least the basics **** tune ups, oil changes, cooling system work like water pump/tstat, flush and fill.

Heck, even the man next door to me who had one arm did his own basic maintenance. And WE ALL attended the church services, clubs, we kids played little league sports.... AND we had time to mow our own lawns and do the things I mentioned.

No, people are intrinsically lazy, and don't keep up with things they should. They do not instill working with hands and developing skills in their kids anymore. There is such a huge deficiency in skilled workers today....

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
I don't ever remember that flathead leaking, it still doesn't.
The rope seals leaked a bit even when new, it was an accepted compromise at the time. They used to place mats under new cars in the show room to catch the oil that dripped, but you'd still get oil marks on the floor. 80's environmental regs about oil leakage at service stations and junk yards seemed to be a catalyst for the better seal options we have available today.

It's easy to romanticize the past, we remember the cars that were great, and forget the mediocre and all but a few examples of the horrible. Back in the day people used to refer to cars as peaches or lemons for a reason, and the push for lemon laws was long and difficult. New cars off the lots would regularly have minor issues like trim coming off, and occasionally major issues like steering wheels come off. You could by a new car that could not do the speed limit up a hill when new with just the driver even before the great power loss that was forced on us in the 80's. Rusting bodies and frames killed many vehicles long before the power trains had a chance to fail.

There were highlights, models you could rebuild almost anything on, parts over engineered so they never seemed to fail.

IHS and registration data shows it was the 80's models that increased average vehicle age on the road and showed an almost doubling of mileage before scrap age trend that so far has continued. Common gripes on customer surveys have shifted from wheels popping off to issues with sat nav.

It's great your grandad's car almost tripped the average mileage life span, but it's the treasured exception.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357