User Manual needed for 10.4" Head unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoreCowbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 VVT
I originally posted this question here as #3056:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/tesla-style-10-4-android-radio-information.115875/page-306

Since I’ve discovered a few things since my original post, I thought I’d start a fresh thread.

In my 2017 Ram SLT, there is installed a 10.4 Tesla-style Head unit with 1024X768 screen resolution. It looks for all the world like the PhoenixAndroidRadios unit pictured at the beginning of the thread listed above.

The top icon row is:

Navigation Radio Music Console Bluetooth Video AUX

After some time, I accidentally discovered that by swiping this to the left, more icons appeared:

Explorer Phone Link Settings App list DVR File manager Camera

Within Settings | About, I discovered this:

Model number RKPX3 (px3 manufactured by Rockchip)
Android version 7.1.1

Nowhere did I see a name of the maker of the Head unit itself. It was obtained via eBay and I have been unsuccessful contacting to the vendor (Funnyhill-Auto). What was left as “documentation (“Product Guide”) is scant, poor English and grammar, etc. and basically useless as a guide. Almost inscrutable ...

Some of the basic touch-screen controls I've figured out empirically but wish I had more/better information.

• Since the layout of this Head unit is virtually the same as any I’ve seen, I wonder if anyone might have a meaningful guide for a Head unit like this, even though not made by the same party. Linkswell makes a great unit but it’s configured differently so its guide isn’t very useful. Maybe Phoenix produces a fairly generic guide that would help.

• As a curiosity question, I wonder what are the key differences between Phone Link and Bluetooth, especially regarding mobile phone use. I get that Phone Link requires that the mobile phone be plugged into a USB port that the Head unit “sees”, whereas via Bluetooth, it’s entirely wireless. But other than that, what’s the difference?? One preferable over the other ??

Any help/thoughts are appreciated.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I originally posted this question here as #3056:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/tesla-style-10-4-android-radio-information.115875/page-306

Since I’ve discovered a few things since my original post, I thought I’d start a fresh thread.

In my 2017 Ram SLT, there is installed a 10.4 Tesla-style Head unit with 1024X768 screen resolution. It looks for all the world like the PhoenixAndroidRadios unit pictured at the beginning of the thread listed above.

The top icon row is:

Navigation Radio Music Console Bluetooth Video AUX

After some time, I accidentally discovered that by swiping this to the left, more icons appeared:

Explorer Phone Link Settings App list DVR File manager Camera

Within Settings | About, I discovered this:

Model number RKPX3 (px3 manufactured by Rockchip)
Android version 7.1.1

Nowhere did I see a name of the maker of the Head unit itself. It was obtained via eBay and I have been unsuccessful contacting to the vendor (Funnyhill-Auto). What was left as “documentation (“Product Guide”) is scant, poor English and grammar, etc. and basically useless as a guide. Almost inscrutable ...

Some of the basic touch-screen controls I've figured out empirically but wish I had more/better information.

• Since the layout of this Head unit is virtually the same as any I’ve seen, I wonder if anyone might have a meaningful guide for a Head unit like this, even though not made by the same party. Linkswell makes a great unit but it’s configured differently so its guide isn’t very useful. Maybe Phoenix produces a fairly generic guide that would help.

• As a curiosity question, I wonder what are the key differences between Phone Link and Bluetooth, especially regarding mobile phone use. I get that Phone Link requires that the mobile phone be plugged into a USB port that the Head unit “sees”, whereas via Bluetooth, it’s entirely wireless. But other than that, what’s the difference?? One preferable over the other ??

Any help/thoughts are appreciated.
That thread is the user manual...

EDIT: This Russian Forum is a good resource too... https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=877711&st=60

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 VVT
"Just touch the English button on the bottom of the page."

Unfortunately, I don't see anything like this.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
"Just touch the English button on the bottom of the page."

Unfortunately, I don't see anything like this.
Use Chrome or Edge, either will give you the option to translate to English as soon as you get to a page not in your set language.

OP
OP
MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 VVT
OK, I was finally able to translate that Russian (it’s actually Serbian) URL to English. I don’t use Chrome on this machine. I had to load Google translate in my Firefox browser. Then, I had to figure out that one can paste the URL into the source side (where it asks for text). An identical URL appears on the translated side but nothing prompted the user to click that URL to render the translation !! Took me a long tine to figure out. Totally non-intuitive ...

On that site, the first page (of 530) presents a number of potentially useful information bits – from “Characteristics” down to “How to understand whether the device …” For some of these, while PDFs are presented, a download fails.

OP
OP
MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 VVT
AUX jack

In my earlier lost on the on the other thread, I inquired about a "an AUX mode on the touch screen and an AUX jack in he center console."

SKB replied:
"Unfortunately, the stock Aux port will not work on these radios. ... the OEM Aux jack in your console will not work. You will also not be able to control the device from the AUX screen."

I replied:
"OK ... duly noted. Then I must wonder pray tell:
What is the AUX port inside the console for ??"

I never got an answer. I must wonder why then would my head unit have an AUX tab ??
The USB port next to the AUX jack is indeed is “seen” by my head unit. I can play files off of it on he Music tab.

Just trying to make sense of this ...

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
AUX jack

In my earlier lost on the on the other thread, I inquired about a "an AUX mode on the touch screen and an AUX jack in he center console."

SKB replied:
"Unfortunately, the stock Aux port will not work on these radios. ... the OEM Aux jack in your console will not work. You will also not be able to control the device from the AUX screen."

I replied:
"OK ... duly noted. Then I must wonder pray tell:
What is the AUX port inside the console for ??"

I never got an answer. I must wonder why then would my head unit have an AUX tab ??
The USB port next to the AUX jack is indeed is “seen” by my head unit. I can play files off of it on he Music tab.

Just trying to make sense of this ...
It was answered...

https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/2459208