Value of 6.4L Misfiring 6.4L Hemi (engine only)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techy101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hello,

Our 2015 2500 with 108k miles has a bad lifter and we are replacing the engine with a new one (Yes, we have been through all the assorted troubleshooting steps over a few weeks before arriving at this conclusion). It is used to haul livestock so it's not worth the risk of a repairing the cam/lifter not knowing whether any additional damage has already been done. The engine still runs, but is reliably misfiring on cylinder 8. It's obviously damaged but I'd like to keep it out of the junkyard if at all possible and was going to list it for sale locally with full disclosure.

My question is: what is a reasonable price to ask for the old engine?

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hello,

Our 2015 2500 with 108k miles has a bad lifter and we are replacing the engine with a new one (Yes, we have been through all the assorted troubleshooting steps over a few weeks before arriving at this conclusion). It is used to haul livestock so it's not worth the risk of a repair not knowing whether any additional damage has already been done. The engine still runs, but is reliably misfiring on cylinder 8. It's obviously damaged but I'd like to keep it out of the junkyard if at all possible and was going to list it for sale locally with full disclosure.

My question is: what is a reasonable price to ask for it?
Good timing, if it is fixed you can get almost what you paid for it right now. You are missing a bunch of info like trim level and condition etc. But there is a huge shortage of this type vehicle right now. Guys are getting just a few thousand less then what they paid for their trucks despite being 5 plus years old.

OP
OP
T

techy101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Good timing, if it is fixed you can get almost what you paid for it right now. You are missing a bunch of info like trim level and condition etc. But there is a huge shortage of this type vehicle right now. Guys are getting just a few thousand less then what they paid for their trucks despite being 5 plus years old.
Sorry, I wasn't clear on my question. I'm specifically talking about the value of the engine itself. We are putting a new one in the truck and I don't want to scrap the old engine if someone else can get use out of it by rebuilding, etc...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I guess I should have looked at title better. Used engines are always a hard sell, having a 6.4 might entice an offer. A good strategy is call your local engine builders and see who wants a donor. What hurts you is not having all of the old engine pieces, it is easier to see a used working engine then just a core.

OP
OP
T

techy101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I guess I should have looked at title better. Used engines are always a hard sell, having a 6.4 might entice an offer. A good strategy is call your local engine builders and see who wants a donor. What hurts you is not having all of the old engine pieces, it is easier to see a used working engine then just a core.
Lol, nope. I changed the thread name and tweaked the post after your comment, that was all my fault for not being clear up front.