Vararam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
Hello first time posting.
Does anyone know much about these Vararam air ram?
Was think about buying one For my 2018 Ram Rebel 1500.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you like the look and want more engine noise go for it, but the intake alone won't gain you any power. The stock airbox flows as much air as Hemi needs. The days of factory intake systems being super restrictive are over. Your engine is running just about as well as it can in stock form.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think money is spent better elsewhere. These trucks have more important needs. But it's definitely a personal preference.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have one,love it..get more air in for a variety of reasons plus the old school look when the hood is up..engine seems cooler..alleged noise as mentioned is not a factor at all...Just give it a thought..a closed box vs open direct flow with more air ...to each their own

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you live where it snows a fair bit,hang onto your stock box for the winter time.They aren't the best cold air intake for blowing snow or slushy roads,they gather up a fair bit of slush in traffic,and have been known to fill up with snow in a blizzard.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have one,love it..get more air in for a variety of reasons plus the old school look when the hood is up..engine seems cooler..alleged noise as mentioned is not a factor at all...Just give it a thought..a closed box vs open direct flow with more air ...to each their own
The engine can only take in a certain amount of air. The availability of more air beyond that is useless because natural air pressure and engine vacuum are the only things which function to get air into the engine. This isn't a forced induction scenario.

The factory airbox flows as much air as the engine needs plus it is enclosed, which keeps the intake air isolated from hot air under the hood and dirty/wet air from outside.

If you are going to do cam, headers, etc and actually enable the engine to flow more air THEN you may get some use out of running a different intake setup. If not, then it's just eye and ear candy under the hood.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
True..but it does keep the air temp under the hood cooler if fresh air is blowing through there IMO...and many on the forum have gone to the 6.4 intake mod for the same reason for air flow..and don't forget the air that used to get trapped into the enclosed air box is now free to further cool the under hood temp !!..and the eye candy is nice..my truck is a piece of art to me..maybe not to others but that', their choice as always..cheersIMG_0978.jpg

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
True..but it does keep the air temp under the hood cooler if fresh air is blowing through there IMO...and many on the forum have gone to the 6.4 intake mod for the same reason for air flow..and don't forget the air that used to get trapped into the enclosed air box is now free to further cool the under hood temp !!..and the eye candy is nice..my truck is a piece of art to me..maybe not to others but that', their choice as always..cheersView attachment 532859
Those covers aren't doing your coils any good Dave.Heat and electrical components don't go hand in hand,and those covers are going to keep your coils hot.Your catch can isn't in the best spot either,you want it where it's cooler,like mounted to the rad or fender

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm did not know that. I will move the catch can.. gonna have to get some mounting bracket and extra hose I would assume…the covers for now get a good flow of air due to the removal of the OEM air box.. hence the openings normally directing air into the box just allow air to flow into the bay and keep temps down throughout ..off to my mechanic shop and see what he will charge..no long trips planned until Spring so that helps.. thanks Rick… just an aside… re LT’s do you still dabble with installs of LTs or is that a thing of the past?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hmm did not know that. I will move the catch can.. gonna have to get some mounting bracket and extra hose I would assume…the covers for now get a good flow of air due to the removal of the OEM air box.. hence the openings normally directing air into the box just allow air to flow into the bay and keep temps down throughout ..off to my mechanic shop and see what he will charge..no long trips planned until Spring so that helps.. thanks Rick… just an aside… re LT’s do you still dabble with installs of LTs or is that a thing of the past?
When you park it,is when the coils get the most amount of radiated heat. Not really,as i only have my driveway these days to work on vehicles now Dave. I'm going on 64 now,so my days of working on other peoples vehicles is coming to an end,lol

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha… you youngster…know what you mean though.. crippling arthritis in my right hand and now needing a left hip replaced if ever with the waiting list.. nasty pain with that aeostioarthritis.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Haha… you youngster…know what you mean though.. crippling arthritis in my right hand and now needing a left hip replaced if ever with the waiting list.. nasty pain with that aeostioarthritis.
My wife has been on the waiting list for a new knee for over 2 years over here.Now because she's been compensating for it for so long,she also needs a new hip

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dilligaf..maybe useless to you but art to others...never purchased it for power..my man Wild One has me convinced on the LT's ..still able to keep the engine "pretty"...for those, like me, that can appreciate a cool looking engine bay... LOL

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Like the look, reminds me of the 340 Duster the kids had.
I have never messed with catch cans, my 14 sport is all factory, other then trim.
Can't hold a hammer any more , but have screw guns and cordless drivers, looking at the new small 3/8" Milw. fuel impact.
We will not discuss joints, Wife got a sticker for Her car this fall, that is a bit of help at times.
We get to Toon quite often ,Daughter posted there.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
had the vararam for like 6 years. Took it off and went back to stock with a AEM dryflow filter. Nothing really crazy noticeable on a daily and needs to be cleaned alot. Looks good if you pop your hood to show it off but you never do that on a daily lol. You'll get more noticeable improvement from a pedal commander or the edge pulsar.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
for those, like me, that can appreciate a cool looking engine bay... LOL

Yeah I hear ya, the 6,4L intake get way more attention at the truck meets ;) . Because its an actual HP gaining MOD. But the real show stopper is when the local Turbo Ram shows up. :anitoof: He also has a 6.4L intake.. .weird.

I say they are useless based on how it performs. and how you cant use it anyways if you plan MOD your vehicle properly.

Last edited: