very strange sparkplug problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

estodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 liter
Hello everyone,
I am new here and it looks like a great place to be.
I hope I am in the right place to ask my question.
This sounds like a lie or a fake question but it is real.
I need to know what happened and how to remedy my situation.
Today I was putting new spark plugs in my 2002 ram 1500 with 4.7 liter engine.
I removed the old plug from the rearmost hole on the drivers side. It was a little hard to get to because of the firewall but I got it out.
I placed the new plug into my 5/8" socket with rubber grommet to hold the plug in the socket, placed it over the hole and the plug fell out of the socket into the hole. The rubber grommet is still in the socket so it is not caught on the plug down in the hole.
No big deal right?
Well it turned out to be a really big deal. I thought I could just place the socket over the plug and pull it back out from the hole and start again but I was wrong. Bear in mind I did not turn the wrench on the plug. The spark plug would not budge. It is somehow wedged in tight as can be and I can not get it out. I can't screw it in and it I can't screw it out. It is the correct plug as all the others went in fine with no problems.
What in the world could it be wedged into.
I spent hours trying to get it out with no luck.
Any ideas?
Thanks for your help and have a great evening.

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
Hopefully, you didn't cross-thread it. Can you see into the hole at all with a light?

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you see it? How is it stuck in there, upside down, angled or what? If you didnt screw it in, dont screw it out, that will just create more problems

deedub97gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
big long pair of needle nose pliers and give it a pull. sounds like it fell in and tilted to one side and got stuck. might as well pick up an extra spark plug too in case you damage this one getting it out.