Vibration at highway speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunLee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi!

I recently bought a 2015 ram 1500 as a used car.

I realized it vibrates at highway speed over 60.

It starts from 60, amplifies its strength as accelerated with almost constant frequency.

And it doesn't feel like coming from somewhere one direction when you're sitting on the driver's seat, but the whole cabin is vibrating.

Sometimes it reduces, but I don't know what's the reason of the reduce.

I did test drive the same course about 45 miles several times, it always happens at the specific speed range.

It's literally like, DRRRRRRRRRRR when it starts.

I thought it might not be the tires, propeller shaft or things around differential case because the frequency of the vibration is quite constant regardless the vehicle's speed.

Since I don't typically use any higher than 2500 RPM in highway speed, I suspect that it's somewhere around transmission, I'm not really sure though.

I can feel the vibration through the seat, and I can see my cell phone that's mounted over the screen vibrating at the speed.

I saw some people dealt with the similar problem, who found the cause from U-joint or driveline.

I know the cause of this problem could be so various, so I described the symptom as detailed as possible above.

For your information, the trim is Laramie, and the wheels are 20 inches alloy chrome.

The tires are very new, which are supposed to be replaced in the dealership when it was traded-in.

Is there anyone who got the same problem and solved?

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
RAM wheels seem to be difficult to get a good balance on because of the small center hole on the clad and much larger hole in the wheel itself. Seems like most tire techs don’t know what adapter to use for the balancing machine. All that being said I would look for a tire shop such as discount tire with guys that are experts at balancing tires and you might want to look into Road Force Balancing at the same time.

OP
OP
S

SunLee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah. I found some postings there could be some problems with wheel or tire balancing when there's vibration while driving. So I'm gonna check out tire discount today.
Thanks

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ask your tire shop if they have a pin plate they can use to mount the wheel in the balancer. And a road force balance did help on my truck.

best,
DG

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Hi!

It starts from 60, amplifies its strength as accelerated with almost constant frequency.

And it doesn't feel like coming from somewhere one direction when you're sitting on the driver's seat, but the whole cabin is vibrating.

I did test drive the same course about 45 miles several times, it always happens at the specific speed range.

I thought it might not be the tires, propeller shaft or things around differential case because the frequency of the vibration is quite constant regardless the vehicle's speed.

Since I don't typically use any higher than 2500 RPM in highway speed, I suspect that it's somewhere around transmission, I'm not really sure though.

I can feel the vibration through the seat, and I can see my cell phone that's mounted over the screen vibrating at the speed.

I saw some people dealt with the similar problem, who found the cause from U-joint or driveline.

I know the cause of this problem could be so various, so I described the symptom as detailed as possible above.

For your information, the trim is Laramie, and the wheels are 20 inches alloy chrome.

The tires are very new, which are supposed to be replaced in the dealership when it was traded-in.

I'm on the same thoughts about tire wheel balance. Discount tire, can balance the tire to the wheel, giving you a better balance. They should be able tell if you have a bent wheel.

Replace the U-joints - get the better built ones with external grease fittings. This is a inexpensive replacement, that never hurts.

While the driveshaft is out (U-joints) find a truck shop check the driveshaft balance. Ya, not necessarily needed, but too for little money well worth the piece of mind.

Hope this helps...

CarrollB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last fall I purchased a used 2016 Ram 1500 with 72K miles. The dealer had just replaced the tires. I noticed I had a slight vibration around 60 mph but thought the tires and new and had just been balanced when they were replaced. Anyway, I took it to a tire shop. They found one rear tire out of balance and did a road force balance, which I had never heard of. It solved the problem.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Yeah. I found some postings there could be some problems with wheel or tire balancing when there's vibration while driving. So I'm gonna check out tire discount today.
Thanks

Hi @SunLee - If at any point this is something you decide to address with your dealer, our team is just a private message away and more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Rick R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Years ago a local tire shop had a specialty service of tire balancing "on the vehicle" instead of on an off the vehicle balance. They solved many puzzling balance problems that way. Often times, the balance has to do with including the entire rotating parts of the suspension (drums and or rotors)

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I once had a broken belt in a tire that was creating a rumble over a certain speed. It was fine at lower speeds.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I once had a broken belt in a tire that was creating a rumble over a certain speed. It was fine at lower speeds.
That's a great point too...

Additional, separate conversation, if you have a nail etc, don't plug the tires. Spend the extra money, get them to patch it. A plug can and mostly will hurt the internal make up if the tire. A patch won't... Yes there nail did it's fair if damage, yet no need to add to that with a plug.

Rasworld84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi!

I'm having this same problem. Did you ever figure out what was causing the vibration at highway speeds?