Vibration out of nowhere...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have never had any vibrations on My 2017 Rebel and even went on a 3K+ mile trip towing our 1600lb popup without any vibrations. We came home from our vacation in July and didn't drive much (once every 2 to 3 weeks). We then went on a camping trip and I noticed a vibration had started to show up around 65 mph. I figured, since I rotated the tires every 5K miles, my best bet was to just get them balanced and check the alignment. The alignment was good but had a very slight adjustment. All tires were rebalanced, but the vibration continued. I took the truck back to the shop and had the re-balance everything again. Still had the vibration.

I am not 100% sure, but it seems like the vibration in more in the seat than the steering wheel (leading me to think it is a problem in the rear of the truck), but I also feel like it gets worse or better depending on the direction of a curve on the highway.

I don't feel any vibration when braking at all, and shifting to lower gears does not change the vibration. Also, full bed vs. empty bed doesn't make much if any change also.

My truck had new OEM tires on it when I purchased it a little over a year ago, and they still have tons of tread on them so I don't want to just swap them out since there is no obvious signs of damage or uneven wear.

My next step this weekend is to jack up the front end and check for play (which I would hope the shop did during the alignment) to rule out bearings. I may also check the hubs, rotors, and rims with a dial gauge as well.

I just had surgery, so I am not sure if I can pull the drive shaft to check the u-joints, but that may also be on the list while I am checking things.

If I cant find anything that appears obvious, a road force balance is next, but I am trying not to spend another $120 on balancing.

What are your thoughts or gut feelings?

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
lol, no mud at all in the rims. I detail my truck about once a month and whenever I rotate the tires, I clean & polish the rims front & back. But, thanks for the suggestion.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Seriously try going just above where the vibration starts like around 70 mph then let off the gas, does the vibration stop immediately or is it there until you drop below 65? Reason is if it's a bad cv joint or bad U joint in driveshaft it will usually vibrate when the drivetrain is under stress as in accelerating but smooth out when you let off the gas. If it's a balance issue it will be there whether you're accelerating, coasting, or decelerating, as long as the tire is spinning at 65 mph.

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seriously try going just above where the vibration starts like around 70 mph then let off the gas, does the vibration stop immediately or is it there until you drop below 65? Reason is if it's a bad cv joint or bad U joint in driveshaft it will usually vibrate when the drivetrain is under stress as in accelerating but smooth out when you let off the gas. If it's a balance issue it will be there whether you're accelerating, coasting, or decelerating, as long as the tire is spinning at 65 mph.

Great suggestion, and one I forgot to mention. I have tried to test this. To me, it feels (ever so slightly) that it smooths out more when I'm in the throttle compared to at cruising or letting off of the gas entirely. But, this could just be plecebo effect as it is not a dramatic difference. I will be sure to retest again soon though.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have never had any vibrations on My 2017 Rebel and even went on a 3K+ mile trip towing our 1600lb popup without any vibrations. We came home from our vacation in July and didn't drive much (once every 2 to 3 weeks). We then went on a camping trip and I noticed a vibration had started to show up around 65 mph. I figured, since I rotated the tires every 5K miles, my best bet was to just get them balanced and check the alignment. The alignment was good but had a very slight adjustment. All tires were rebalanced, but the vibration continued. I took the truck back to the shop and had the re-balance everything again. Still had the vibration.

I am not 100% sure, but it seems like the vibration in more in the seat than the steering wheel (leading me to think it is a problem in the rear of the truck), but I also feel like it gets worse or better depending on the direction of a curve on the highway.

I don't feel any vibration when braking at all, and shifting to lower gears does not change the vibration. Also, full bed vs. empty bed doesn't make much if any change also.

My truck had new OEM tires on it when I purchased it a little over a year ago, and they still have tons of tread on them so I don't want to just swap them out since there is no obvious signs of damage or uneven wear.

My next step this weekend is to jack up the front end and check for play (which I would hope the shop did during the alignment) to rule out bearings. I may also check the hubs, rotors, and rims with a dial gauge as well.

I just had surgery, so I am not sure if I can pull the drive shaft to check the u-joints, but that may also be on the list while I am checking things.

If I cant find anything that appears obvious, a road force balance is next, but I am trying not to spend another $120 on balancing.

What are your thoughts or gut feelings?
We apologize for the trouble, @Intense-Dakota. Should you need to address this with your local Ram dealer, our team is always a private message away and more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support.

Mark
RamCares

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep us posted as many of us have had the same issue . Ram is well aware of the issue as they have taken some trucks back whether or not they will admit it is another thing . I went through what you have but only when I installed 35-12.50 +20 BFG KO2s. after a number of Balancing and re balancing and getting two tire swaps , CV shafts wheel bearings nothing effected it . Ram dealer did a rebalance as I read where the chrome clad 20s used a special collet on the balance machine and the Ram dealers have it so I tried that . They said it was the aggressive tread on the KO2s,Duh. Well if I had not been running BFG ATs on my Daily Drivers since they came out in later 70s I may of believed them even though they are not an aggressive tread. I guess they thought I was a soccer mom but more of an insult to you intelligence from Ram. I gave in and went to NITTOs that were 1/2" shorter and 1" narrower but 20lbs lighter and vibe is gone . I still think its in the front axle assembly and the heavier tire brings it out. The CV shafts have a sloppy fit going into the diff. The intermediate shaft on drivers side is an easy and cheap fix and may take some of the slop in the connection out which wobbles . Passenger side is a little more involved and much more money . My friend bought the kit for the right side and I will be helping him install that this winter when work slows up for him. He has the vibe with stock tires starting and he also swapped same parts I did so those inside shafts are next. No reason that connection should be that loose when new even. Tacoma's are tight as hell and don't have the issue.

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will keep you in the loop as I find anything. My wife's 2016 durango has had a shake since day one and has had the wheels replaced twice and the rims checked 6 ways from Sunday. I broke down today and bought a new dial indicator gauge and will be checking everything I can think of. The fake that it came on suddenly for me after nearly 70K vibration free miles tells me something worn. Just not sure what. I am in illinois though, so pot holes are a way of life. That's why I have extended warranty on wheel damage also in case one got bent.

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I quickly realized that my body is not healed enough after surgery for me to started tearing stuff apart so I took the truck in to a different shop to have wheels road force balanced. We'll see what comes of it today. I did get under the truck and get a good look at everything though. I also pulled the dial indicator out and check all bearings for play and rims for roundness . All rims, measured from the lip, are within 10/1000th of an inch when rotating so I dont think it's a bent rims or bearing/hub. One area that I had concerns on is the front shafts. There was some play in them, but not sure if it's normal as both sides we're the same. As soon as I can figure out how to post a video or a gif, I will.

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is the video of the CV shaft. This is the driver's side. The passenger side is nearly identical in play. All of the movement is in the differential side. I am used to solid front axles so I am not sure if this normal or not, so feedback is appreciated. I have a bumper to bumper warranty till about 120k miles, so the shop might be my next stop after I pick it up from road force balancing based on y'alls feedback.

Thanks.

Ps. Feel free to leave a comment on the video also in case others are looking for the same answer in the future

brad_12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That actually looks pretty good. Crazy thing is my dad has a Ram so I was able to check his compared to mine and his are the tightest I've seen a Ram with 150,000 mile 2014.

I have an 80,000 mile 2013 and I'm rebuilding the whole front end.

When I bought mine I was kind of taken back by how much play the passenger side had in them, but it was normal I guess. The driver side is usually tighter than passenger side from any complaints about play.

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply. I talked to the dealership and of course they said it's "hard to tell from the video", but also explained that it could be from the suspension drooping since it was off the ground for this test. I need to retest with it one the ground. I'll put it in off road mode, normal, and aero and see what it's like then.

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, after a road force balance, the truck rides much smoother. It is not perfect, but it is better. The shop said all wheels balanced to under 14lbs road force and that none of the tires were balanced from previous shop. When I heal a bit more from surgery I might try to drop the drive shaft again and check the ujoints since I am at 70K miles now.

Rasworld84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, after a road force balance, the truck rides much smoother. It is not perfect, but it is better. The shop said all wheels balanced to under 14lbs road force and that none of the tires were balanced from previous shop. When I heal a bit more from surgery I might try to drop the drive shaft again and check the ujoints since I am at 70K miles now.
Any update on what your problem was?

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing yet. I relocated for work and have been crazy busy, but working from home now so not driving much so I don't really worry about right now. I am going to investigate some day, but not bad enough to worry right now.