Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaysmith1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I bought 2ea 2017 Ram 2500 Cummins pickups the same day. Both trucks are experiencing vibrations anywhere from 65-80 mph. Tire balanced many times, 3 sets of tires and two sets of wheels. Still the vibrations are present. Dealerships will not work the problem and will not get the trucks in for 2 months. While waiting, the 36mo/100,000 mile warranty is expired. One trick has 70k miles the other has 90k. What do I have to do to get in touch with Ram? Customer Service is horrible.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Need more details. Specifically what are the wheels and tires? Is it stock suspension? Four wheel drive?

An old school shop that can balance and true on the vehicle is the best bet. Hard to find someone to use this method now.

Any good tech should be able to recognize from the vibration frequency if it’s rotating at wheel speed or engine/ driveshaft speeds to help identify the cause.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I bought 2ea 2017 Ram 2500 Cummins pickups the same day. Both trucks are experiencing vibrations anywhere from 65-80 mph. Tire balanced many times, 3 sets of tires and two sets of wheels. Still the vibrations are present. Dealerships will not work the problem and will not get the trucks in for 2 months. While waiting, the 36mo/100,000 mile warranty is expired. One trick has 70k miles the other has 90k. What do I have to do to get in touch with Ram? Customer Service is horrible.
I would be checking out all of the front end parts & drive line, do the truck have a lift kit installed, over sized tires?... I would also find a good independent diesel shop being you don't have a warranty to worry about...

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Several things:
1. the 36mo warranty would have expired back in 2020/21, regardless of mileage. You're up a creek on that one.
2. Sounds to me like driveshaft u-joints are bad, depending on truck configuration it could also be the rear driveshaft carrier bearing. Your trucks may not have one if they're regular or extended cab short or long box trucks, but a crew cab long box truck would have one.

Basically if the vibration is present and you've check the tires for roundness and balance, then it's time to move deeper into the truck. If there's no uneven tire wear you can basically rule out tie rods and ball joints, but check them for fun. Check wheel bearings, check axle u-joints, check differential(s) for play, but I would bet it's the driveshaft u-joints. Seems a pretty typical range for that kind of issue.