Vin build sheet vs window sticker discrepancy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I pulled the vin information and the window sticker today for my 2012 2500 cummins. There are a few things different and I wanted to clear it up to find out whats wrong.

The window sticker lists a Limited slip rear end, plow prep package, and 180 amp alternator.

The VIN build sheet doesn't list the limited slip, plow prep package, and only a 160 amp alternator.

The truck acts like a limited slip, however I'm not sure what to look for for the plow prep package or what exactly it is, and I was under the impression the Cummins had 180 amp alternator, 220, or dual alternator options. What is right and what is wrong?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you got your build sheet off that FCA website sometimes older trucks end up with a "generic" build sheet. Not 100% accurate just so you know. I'd believe the window sticker more then the build sheet for your 2012 truck.

OP
OP
M

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you got your build sheet off that FCA website sometimes older trucks end up with a "generic" build sheet. Not 100% accurate just so you know.
Ok, thats good to know. I would assume the window sticker would be accurate I just wanted some verification.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You might want to check the glove box for any sticker that might have a list of option codes. Alphabetical. Possibly give you some help.

OP
OP
M

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've got the original window sticker. But I'll look around and see what else is there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Are you sure you are not looking at the standard equipment which gets replaced by optional equipment?

OP
OP
M

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
As far as I'm aware yes. The optional equipment list on the window sticker labels these things, however when I do any vin search it doesn't anywhere

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk