Wanting information on the new rams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dridzon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hello from Youngstown, I belong to another dodge forum, but I was on it today and it hasn't been updated in about a year, SOOOOO, I found this forum.

The wife and I are looking at trading in our 2011 dodge Citadel to get a 1500 ram Laramie or limited or Laramie longhorn, our boys aren't getting any smaller so we need more room.

What I'm looking for is information on pros and cons for the trucks. I read on here that some people have dislikes for the under seat storage and lack of telescoping steering column. Neither of those are a huge concern to us. We're questioning the rambox option, we have hockey equipment and other sports equipment that has to fill the bed, so I thought the rambox would be a nice addition, we've had 2 avalanches in the past and we used the side storage but the avalanche was taller and my wife's short lol, so you do the math. Also, thoughts on the multi function tailgate, we're focused on used and that's a tough option to find used at this moment, in fact we've struggled to find it new, have succeeded but it was difficult. My wife's going to drive this daily, I have a 2500 ram for myself, so this is more focused towards her, so I'm not sure if the tailgate is a huge issue or not. I'm concerned what the future will hold for that tailgate, I read online that the wiring and electrical system for that tailgate is very complex and that's a concern of mine.

How about the panaromic roof, anyone had issues with it? Leaks? Car wash issues?

Also, feedback on the adjustable air ride suspension, I've driven trucks with it and it rides amazing, my concern is longevity, is it going to develop leaks down the road, start giving issues.

What kind of major issues have people run into with their trucks? Frame, suspension, drive train, anything and everything, I'd like to hear all negative feedback as well.

rdm1465

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 , non e-torque
I currently have a '20 Laramie. I have not had any issues with it. ( so Far, knock knock) Ram boxes are great, But, I am not sure it will fit hockey sticks in the short bed. Maybe take one with you to check? The Ram box has some fitment issues though. Very minor and not a deal breaker to me.

Panoramic roof no issues with leaks. Unless it is open when you wash it or raining out.

I have not experienced problems with the Air ride. I have heard that in the colder regions that problems come up.

All the storage spaces in the cab is good for me.

Again, overall I have no issues with the truck. Oh can't comment on the multifunction tailgate.

steven_sbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello from Youngstown, I belong to another dodge forum, but I was on it today and it hasn't been updated in about a year, SOOOOO, I found this forum.

The wife and I are looking at trading in our 2011 dodge Citadel to get a 1500 ram Laramie or limited or Laramie longhorn, our boys aren't getting any smaller so we need more room.

What I'm looking for is information on pros and cons for the trucks. I read on here that some people have dislikes for the under seat storage and lack of telescoping steering column. Neither of those are a huge concern to us. We're questioning the rambox option, we have hockey equipment and other sports equipment that has to fill the bed, so I thought the rambox would be a nice addition, we've had 2 avalanches in the past and we used the side storage but the avalanche was taller and my wife's short lol, so you do the math. Also, thoughts on the multi function tailgate, we're focused on used and that's a tough option to find used at this moment, in fact we've struggled to find it new, have succeeded but it was difficult. My wife's going to drive this daily, I have a 2500 ram for myself, so this is more focused towards her, so I'm not sure if the tailgate is a huge issue or not. I'm concerned what the future will hold for that tailgate, I read online that the wiring and electrical system for that tailgate is very complex and that's a concern of mine.

How about the panaromic roof, anyone had issues with it? Leaks? Car wash issues?

Also, feedback on the adjustable air ride suspension, I've driven trucks with it and it rides amazing, my concern is longevity, is it going to develop leaks down the road, start giving issues.

What kind of major issues have people run into with their trucks? Frame, suspension, drive train, anything and everything, I'd like to hear all negative feedback as well.
Welcome to the board. I came from a 2007 Avalanche to a 2017 Sport 1500 crew cab short bed with Rambox. Love the rambox. Get the rambox. It won't fit hockey sticks, but you will miss them if you don't have them. But I think it's only available on the short bed (5'7"). Multi function tailgate looks cool, haven't tried it in person. Air suspension is a great feature when it works. I've been having some problems with mine, but all being fixed under warranty. I will get the air ride again when I buy my new Hellcat powered TRX (read more here: https://www.allpar.com/news/2020/03/hellcat-powered-ram-trx-horsepower-key-features-confirmed-47707). I also have heard the 2020 air ride has some changes from the older version and is more reliable. Too soon to tell. Get running boards for easier in and out. I don't like a sunroof on a car. Don't waste your money (personal opinion). Do get the 12" infotainment system. Stay in touch.

Jim M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
I have a 2020 Limited with 1500 miles. No problems (knock on wood). Love it. Also loved my 2019 Limited for 12,000 miles before I crashed it. I have the sunroof, but wouldn't pay extra again. Rambox and power steps are great. I agree with everything RDM1465 and stephen_sbs have said about it.

Tripper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently purchased a 2016 Laramie Longhorn with the 6'4" box and ram boxes. I love them. I don't think the hockey sticks will fit in them however.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the hockey sticks don't fit in the ram box, I'd think the MFT would become an important option to have. Would make reaching things in the bed much easier, I know I'll be looking for one next time I'm truck shopping. Can't tell you how many times I've had to crawl into the bed under the bed cover because something was just out of reach. I'm 6'2", so if your wife is short I would think that would be a major help.

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The OP mentioned a telescoping steering wheel not important: FYI, my 2019 Laramie Sport package does have tilting and telescoping wheel standard.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My 2020 Laramie has tilt and telescoping steering column. I used it one time and haven't touched it since. Not really something I needed, but it came with the truck.

I also have the rambox option. It's a deal breaker for me now if a truck doesn't have it. Very useful. Make sure to get the bed divider if you get the rambox option. They were standard on 4th gens, but an option on 5th gens. I keep mine mounted about 2 feet in front of the tailgate to keep things from sliding forward in the bed. Especially useful if you have a bed cover. The rambox is not yet available on long bed 5th gens.

The multi-function tailgate (MFT) is something I really wish I would have opted for. There are a lot of youtube reviews out there if you want to learn more about them. You will only find the MFT on 5th gens, and mostly it will be 2020 models. They were available on late 2019 models. No 4th gens have it, and you can't retrofit it to a truck that didn't come with it unless you replace the entire bed.

I have the panaromic sunroof, and have not had any issues with it. It's not something I use much, and kind of wish I didn't have it, but it's not causing any problems for me. Other people have experienced leaking from it, but I don't know how common it is. I think more people have had issues with leaks in other areas (rear window, 3rd brake light, shark fin antenna, front cab seams).

My previous truck (2017 Rebel) had air ride, and is the main reason I got rid of that truck. It worked great, and I never had any problems with it. But I wanted to get rid of it before the warranty expired, and it didn't make the ride any better. The 2015 Tradesman I owned before the Rebel had a much better ride quality. Part of that may have been the tires. My issue with air ride is that it will eventually fail, and it will happen long before a traditional suspension might, and more expensive to repair. It's just the nature of the system, and is not just a Ram problem. Other manufacturers over the years have all had issues with their versions of air suspension. For more info on Ram specific issues, take a look on any of the Rebel forums and you'll see a long history of people having problems with it, especially in colder climates.

Something to keep in mind is there were two sizes of gas tanks on 4th gens (26 and 32 gal.), and three for 5th gens (23, 26, and 33 gal.). My current truck has the 23 gallon tank, which limits my range to about 340 miles. I really wish I would have gotten a truck with the 33 gallon tank.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The crew cab adds an additional $2600 over the price for an otherwise identical quad cab truck. The multifuntion tailgate adds $3585 to the price for a truck (need to pay for the tailgate upgrade which requires the $900 bed utility group which requires the $1700 Level 1 equipment package upgrade).

To get the truck you want you will need to special order it. The dealers do not add the 33 gallon tank or the multifunction tailgate and will however add a $1000 chome wheel package or a sunroof and other geegaws that greatly add to the price of the truck.

OP
OP
D

Dridzon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thank you everyone for the feedback. The wife and I have located a 19 limited for under 50k with 10k miles on it. I think we're going to pull the trigger on.

My question is reliability. We have a 2011 Durango citadel, it's approaching 100k miles and is starting to develop all these gremlins, fuel pump relay, ac issues, had to have the head studs replaced, just stupid little piddly ****. Is that normal with the newer dodges? We're also looking at GMC trucks, and I think the LS engine VS the Hemi is a more reliable engine and drivetrain setup and I'm concerned for that with Ram.

Thoughts?

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
A forum such as this is not a smart place to get good information on reliability. Check out Consumer Reports that does an annual survey of their subscribers who report problems by type on all the vehicles that they own or google "problem" Ram 1500 or go to carcomplaints. com.

In particular I want to know both what problems people are experiencing and the response of the dealer and the manufacturer when there is a problem. Ford for example has a dismal record of responding to safety issues as with the door lock suddenly letting doors open while driving on the freeway and problems with leaks in the cabs of their trucks.

With regard to the Ram 1500 pickups I did an online build for a 2020 Laramie and with the exact same options the MSRP for the crew cab was $50,300 and for the quad cab $46,855. An additional $3,445 to get the extra 9" of cab length with the crew cab.

Checking dimensions the crew cab provides no more legroom for those in the back than I get now with my Chevy 2500 with the extended cab. Even with the diesel engine the Chevy 2500 cost me less than a Ram 1500 with the V-6 engine.

With the coronavirus threat in the USA and the dismal response by those in the White House I have decided not to buy a 2020 truck but wait until the fall and order a 2021 truck. Our travel plans have been put on hold indefinitely. We cannot even get a Covid-19 test nor can anyone else which makes travel risky. It would be far less of a concern if we were living in a first world country like South Korea that has drive through testing sites that currently process 20,000 people each day. One more example of how private healthcare for profiit sucks in this country.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
With the coronavirus threat in the USA and the dismal response by those in the White House I have decided not to buy a 2020 truck but wait until the fall and order a 2021 truck. Our travel plans have been put on hold indefinitely. We cannot even get a Covid-19 test nor can anyone else which makes travel risky. It would be far less of a concern if we were living in a first world country like South Korea that has drive through testing sites that currently process 20,000 people each day. One more example of how private healthcare for profiit sucks in this country.

According to you, South Korea is the only first world country as they innovated the drive through testing and far more number of people tested per capita. China(320K tested) has actually performed more tests but do to the larger population their number tested per capita is half of South Korea(250K tested).
There is almost 3 times as many non-profit hospitals in the US as for-profit hospitals. Almost half the non-profit hospitals are state or local government owned.

thereitis.jpg

Bitta

Reaction score
Ram Year
still looking
Engine
still looking
@Dridzon I feel your wife's pain! I'm short too and have been looking at the Ram 1500. Primarily FOR the Rambox and Multi-Function Tailgate with the cargo divider thing. I have never had a truck because frankly, I don't wanna have to CLIMB up in the bed anytime I need to get something out of it. Now, however, I need the functionality of the truck and towing capacity for my box trailer. The Ramboxes look like a great option and the 60/40 split tailgate with cargo divider will make it easy for me to get stuff out of the back without having to climb in since I can't reach it over the tailgate. My first dog van (Chevy Astro) had the liftgate w/ barn doors like that I LOVED IT! I figure if I combine that with a bed cover, I'll be super set and won't have to belly-up into the truck bed to get that whatever that has shifted all the way up against the cab wall in the middle!

I haven't bought a new vehicle in 25 years - (a 1993 Wrangler I still have!) Is it too late to order a 2020? I ask because I'm not finding ANY trucks with Ramboxes and the MFT anywhere, so I'm guessing I'll have to order?! But once the 2021's come out in October, it will be too late for that right? So that would leave my best option buying the end of the June (close of 2nd quarter) unless I wanna go with a 2021, ya think? Anybody order one lately that could give me some insight?

It seems folks with Ramboxes LOVE them. I'm just worried about them getting broken into... :(

What do y'all think? Will I have to order and what time of year?

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
They have been putting these 5.7s and 8-speeds in for a while now, across the lineup I have not heard many issues.

pcripley2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I've got a 2021 1500 Limited with rambox. Love it so far. Plenty of interior room both front and back. Super comfy, beautiful interior, smooth ride. Only complaints are, wish the ac was colder, wish the rambox lids were better fit and finish. The rambox is super convenient and handy for things that would otherwise be loose in the bed, and easier to quickly grab out of rambox. Pros out weigh the cons. Idk if the air suspension will eventually have issues, but I love it! Great truck, she'll love it!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

pcripley2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2020 Laramie has tilt and telescoping steering column. I used it one time and haven't touched it since. Not really something I needed, but it came with the truck.

I also have the rambox option. It's a deal breaker for me now if a truck doesn't have it. Very useful. Make sure to get the bed divider if you get the rambox option. They were standard on 4th gens, but an option on 5th gens. I keep mine mounted about 2 feet in front of the tailgate to keep things from sliding forward in the bed. Especially useful if you have a bed cover. The rambox is not yet available on long bed 5th gens.

The multi-function tailgate (MFT) is something I really wish I would have opted for. There are a lot of youtube reviews out there if you want to learn more about them. You will only find the MFT on 5th gens, and mostly it will be 2020 models. They were available on late 2019 models. No 4th gens have it, and you can't retrofit it to a truck that didn't come with it unless you replace the entire bed.

I have the panaromic sunroof, and have not had any issues with it. It's not something I use much, and kind of wish I didn't have it, but it's not causing any problems for me. Other people have experienced leaking from it, but I don't know how common it is. I think more people have had issues with leaks in other areas (rear window, 3rd brake light, shark fin antenna, front cab seams).

My previous truck (2017 Rebel) had air ride, and is the main reason I got rid of that truck. It worked great, and I never had any problems with it. But I wanted to get rid of it before the warranty expired, and it didn't make the ride any better. The 2015 Tradesman I owned before the Rebel had a much better ride quality. Part of that may have been the tires. My issue with air ride is that it will eventually fail, and it will happen long before a traditional suspension might, and more expensive to repair. It's just the nature of the system, and is not just a Ram problem. Other manufacturers over the years have all had issues with their versions of air suspension. For more info on Ram specific issues, take a look on any of the Rebel forums and you'll see a long history of people having problems with it, especially in colder climates.

Something to keep in mind is there were two sizes of gas tanks on 4th gens (26 and 32 gal.), and three for 5th gens (23, 26, and 33 gal.). My current truck has the 23 gallon tank, which limits my range to about 340 miles. I really wish I would have gotten a truck with the 33 gallon tank.
Yes, the 33 gallon tank was a must have for me.

pcripley2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The crew cab adds an additional $2600 over the price for an otherwise identical quad cab truck. The multifuntion tailgate adds $3585 to the price for a truck (need to pay for the tailgate upgrade which requires the $900 bed utility group which requires the $1700 Level 1 equipment package upgrade).

To get the truck you want you will need to special order it. The dealers do not add the 33 gallon tank or the multifunction tailgate and will however add a $1000 chome wheel package or a sunroof and other geegaws that greatly add to the price of the truck.
My 2021 limited came with 33 gallon tank, crew cab, Rambox, off road package, rear axle locker, no mft, hill decent control, e torque, 19 speaker harmon kardon, 12" u connect screen. I paid 61k at Dave Smith in Idaho, and drove her home to Socal.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have a '19 Laramie and it has been a great truck so far. before this I had a '17 gmc sierra slt 4x4 ccsb and it was as nice a truck as you could ask for but my laramie has more power a nicer interior and is a lot more fun to drive. I pull a 28' travel trailer with it and we use it for long trips because it is roomy and very comfortable on the road. I get over 20 mpg pretty much all the time when on the highway. pretty good I think for a v8 full size truck. as for longevity, too early to tell as this is a model change year and there is a whole raft of new technology stuff but the hemi v8 and 8 speed tranny seem to be very solid. as for trim levels, the Laramie is the lowest level you can get leather and most of the features without getting too pricey. I bought mine when they first came out and it stickered for 56,776$ and I bought it for 43,000$. they gave me 40,080$ for my '17 sierra.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I sure hope he made his decision by now... that was over 8 months ago :hidesbehindsofa:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I sure hope he made his decision by now... that was over 8 months ago :hidesbehindsofa:
Haha...hopefully you're right. Although, I know people who start shopping a year or more in advance of actually making the purchase. I'm lucky to make it a couple weeks once I decide to buy. And those two weeks I'm extremely sleep deprived LOL