Water pump/ radiator leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure how but I just returned from a 2000 mile round trip from Florida and both my water pump and radiator have started leaking. Im going to be replacing both this week when the parts arrive. I think I’m going to just go ahead and do the thermostat and housing while I’m at it. I actually noticed the leak before my return trip but had no choice but to chance it and head home. Neither one were bad leaks or I wouldn’t have tried to come home.
One thing I did notice is that my oil temp would get up to around 230-233 cruising at 70-75 mph and the coolant temp would stay right around 217-220 and wouldn’t fluctuate like it would have normally. Sometimes coolant would drop down around 205 and stay there for quite some time but then all of a sudden rise up around 217 or so and stay at that temp for a bit. On the trip down it would fluctuate like it usually did. Never did overheat thank goodness but definitely wasn’t right. The oil temp staying up like it did seems kind of odd to me but I know it was still ok at that temp. Does that seem normal or maybe a problem elsewhere Im not thinking about? I guess the long trip just exposed a problem that was probably already there.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just ordered water pump, thermostat and housing, radiator and fan clutch. Figured might as well do the fan clutch while I’m at it. Should all be here by Wednesday and will tackle it all this weekend.
From what I have looked up on the water pump I shouldn’t have to remove the intake to install the water pump but others have done so. I’m hoping I can just get to that one bolt without removing intake because it will make the job a whole lot easier if so. Anybody have experience doing the water pump and not removing intake? Any tips or tricks?

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t know what engine you are running but I just changed the water pump on my 2014 with the 5.7 and I didn’t have to touch my intake.
FYI to get the fan clutch off it is backwards threads.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2016 power wagon with 6.4. The 6.4 is a little different than the 5.7. It has a tube running up under the intake

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The truck has 119k on it and figured might as well change it since it has to come off anyway.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Smart move on the fan clutch. Those are a common issue anyway.
I did read about that recently. My thoughts are just eliminate a problem area while at it if it has to be removed anyway. The one on it now does operate so will probably just put it away in case another issue arise with it. Also read that it is a good idea to change the water pump and clutch together. Just preventative maintenance I guess.

bigdodge

Reaction score
You should consider pulling the intake. Not sure if you can get away without doing it but there are EGR cooler lines under there that are prone to leak. I just did all this so just double check that you get all the clamps on. Might also consider replacing the tank and cap. My cap failed and popped my radiator. The tank builds up a lot of gunk that you can't get out easily.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why change the fan clutch? Just curious.

because he doesnt know what hes doing. fan can be changed easily at any time down the road. his is still working just fine it sounds like.
makes you wonder if any of his diagnoses are even correct.
oh well. not my truck

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
because he doesnt know what hes doing. fan can be changed easily at any time down the road. his is still working just fine it sounds like.
makes you wonder if any of his diagnoses are even correct.
oh well. not my truck
Yeah you’re right crazy Jerry it’s not your truck. If I want to change my fan clutch I will do so. It’s not that expensive and a known issue so why not. You give absolutely no positive advice on here. You think you know all and frankly I don’t think you know Jack **** but how to berate people on here. Yeah my diagnosis are correct. Water pump leak so get new so water pump won’t leaky no more. Radiator leak so get new so radiator won’t leaky no more. Be a **** it’s working for ya.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the fan thing was about 7yr ago around 2015 -2016ish. the clutch would engage and stay engaged when it wasnt supposed to. you would of known years ago if you had one of the bad fans

Ram Vendetta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
On the 6.4. There's a tube running under intake from water pump that's prone to fail and leak. Plan on removing intake.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMO . I would put a 190 T-stat in. I think the factory stat is just too Hot. Just my opinion

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
IMO . I would put a 190 T-stat in. I think the factory stat is just too Hot. Just my opinion
I don’t think that’s possible with the 6.4. Thermostat is built into the housing and isn’t offered with a lower temp stat.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You should consider pulling the intake. Not sure if you can get away without doing it but there are EGR cooler lines under there that are prone to leak. I just did all this so just double check that you get all the clamps on. Might also consider replacing the tank and cap. My cap failed and popped my radiator. The tank builds up a lot of gunk that you can't get out easily.
I may just do that. Seems a little time consuming but sounds like it may be worth it. What did you have to replace? Hoses or are there hard lines that I need to order that leak?

bigdodge

Reaction score
You will have to order the lines. They are half metal. They send coolant into a cooler for the EGR. It's not really that bad though. What bothers my the most was wanting to clean inside the intake but nothing to really do it with lol. I have found that filling up the radiator on the drivers side pushed coolant into the engine and up into the reserve tank. Then fill the hose as much as possible before clamping it on the radiator. Never have had issues with air pockets doing it that way

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You will have to order the lines. They are half metal. They send coolant into a cooler for the EGR. It's not really that bad though. What bothers my the most was wanting to clean inside the intake but nothing to really do it with lol. I have found that filling up the radiator on the drivers side pushed coolant into the engine and up into the reserve tank. Then fill the hose as much as possible before clamping it on the radiator. Never have had issues with air pockets doing it that way
Thanks for the advise. Its appreciated.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Im thinking its going to be a little bit more of a pain to get the radiator out being that the winch is in the way of the lower fan shroud. Everything Ive seen is just a regular 2500 6.4 on the removal process. No way to simply just drop the lower fan shroud from the bottom so will need to disconnect and pull everything from the top once the fan is out of the way?