WD hitch... what brand do you use

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Looking to see what you guys use to tow your travel trailers. May buy one to replace the 20+ year old one I have.

Airborne63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can't remember which hitch I'm using but it is one of those anti-rattle hitches. I think I picked it up at U-haul.

Esgordon123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Inexpensive one from camping world. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RangerGress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l turbo diesel
I tow 7400lbs 4-16hrs round trip once/mo. 24' enclosed trailer. For the last 3yrs I've been using a 10k WD hitch that Harbor Freight sells for not much. It's worked very well. Just be sure to use the trailer's footjack to lift the center of the rig so you can get the WD hitch good and tight.

whatroads

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 QC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 3.92
Don't mess around with a cheap WDH. Go quality. It's all about safety. I've been using an Equal-i-zer 10K for the last 8 years. Reese Dual Cam would also be a good choice. My Travel Trailer is a 31 ft BH at 7K+ pounds loaded

I suggest you go to your local campground and look for trailers similar to what you have or want. Talk with the owners about what they are using. Why they like or don't like their choice. I know of very few trailer owners who don't like to talk about their setups

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just ordered my Blue Ox SwayPro today. Was torn between it and the Equal-i-zer and it all boiled down to availability in Canada for a reasonable price. I have read lots of good reviews on it, so we'll give it a try. *Looks* like I will get the older style with the adjustable head and sway tension- which is good to me. Guess we'll see when it arrives. The chain link up looks slick, measured my A-Frame and it will fit perfect and Blue Ox products are tank-tough. Heavy, but bomb proof. Used them in the past and was really happy.

*edit* got the newer style- less setup but less adjustability. Need to order the 9 hole shank to get enough drop. All I can say is WOW this thing is built like a tank.

Last edited:

thoss29

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500 "Black Top" Edition 6.4L
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use equalizer as well, very nice! Noisy in tight turns but a little grease takes care of that. I tow approx 7000# with a 1500. Went coast to coast last summer no issues at all...

nate_053

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ECODIESEL V6
Reesehitches.com is a good place to get trailer hitches

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reese (trunion bar) dual cam sway control, 1,200lb bar setup. Works OK. Would love to upgrade to the Propride hitch, but will try stiffer rear TTC springs and better tires first.
Our trailer is just too light for it's length; it's like towing a giant balloon.

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hitches and brake controllers is all I do for a living. I work for Berryland campers in Louisiana. For the price, the equalizer 4 point is the best hitch. It does what its supposed to and easy to use. I don't like any chain type hitch. They are always more physically involved to use and noisy. The blue ox is nice but still takes a bit of work to get the chain on. Ez lift just came out with a 4 point hitch specifically designed for 1/2 ton trucks.

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Reese (trunion bar) dual cam sway control, 1,200lb bar setup. Works OK. Would love to upgrade to the Propride hitch, but will try stiffer rear TTC springs and better tires first.
Our trailer is just too light for it's length; it's like towing a giant balloon.

The propride self centering hitch is very expensive and I pain in the ass to install. From my experience, I don't find it to work any better than a standard 4 point hitch.

jbnimble

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4 4.10
Blue Ox Sway Pro - easy install and set up. No noise clatter. Allows backing up. Have not had others to compare this to but used this and seems to perform well. Once spring bars are in place was able to raise hitch height 1.75 ~ 2"

swanny297

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Andersen - WD/Sway control - unit only weighs 60lbs

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Hello Guys,

I have a Reese 14,000lb,1400LB tongue weight,square bare trunnion hitch with built in sway control. Mine is similar to this one but has square bars instead of the tapered ones show below.

Reese SC Weight Distribution w Sway Control - Trunnion - 15,000 lbs GTW, 1,500 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66157

It is a great setup and has been on 4 different vehicles, with different shanks for correct height adjustment of the different vehicles.

Once it is setup correctly one time per vehicle it takes only minutes to hitch up from there after.

It provides great sway/wind protection because it puts the load from the bars on a cradle (where the bars rest on the end, silver hinged heavy gage sheet metal cover, NO CHAINS), lined with brake pad material .

No additional sway control needed!

cdhd2001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hensley Arrow. Well worth the investment.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk