Weight distributing hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What are you guys using for WDH with your 2500?

I need roughly 3" of drop based on receiver height and coupler height but the problem is most wdh shanks run 0" drop unless you get one of the super long shanks.

I'm looking at the Blue Ox and so far the only option that will give me sufficient drop is a shank that will hang down roughly 13" below the receiver.

I also like the reviews of the Reese straight line but would rather no drill holes. The rv dealer drilled holes to mount the Hensley and I don't want to turn the tongue into Swiss cheese as I had to re-install it here at home because they messed up measurements.

Sent from a field

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blue Ox 2000 here

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
O

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's the difference in height between your receiver and trailer coupler?

It's my understanding the 2.5" Ox shanks are a 0" drop.

Sent from a field

OP
OP
O

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok.. So it looks like the 2.5" Ox shank actually gives 2.5" of drop. Unfortunately that's not enough for me.

Their shank that provides enough drop is only a 2" shank.

I would really like to stay with a 2.5" shank and I can do that with the Reese set up.

OR, I just remembered that this...

Equal-i-zer Weight Dist Shank - 2-1/2" Hitch - 10" Rise/6" Drop - 600 to 1,400 lbs TW Equal-i-zer Accessories and Parts EQ90-02-4900

Will work with the Ox system, but at an additional cost since the Blue Ox hitches aren't sold sans shank.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just got my Curt 2.5" shank in today and installed it with my Reese Straight Line. It's a quality made in USA solid piece of steel. I am impressed with it. The part # is Curt 17128. My Jayco has a bottom mount couple though, so not sure if it will work in your application. I picked it up price matched from Jegs for $99.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm probably wrong, but I thought only the BIG Blue Ox like mine came with 2.5" shank.

Also, have you factored in how much your truck will squat under the load? I have a heavy tongue weight and even with the blue ox 2000 the truck settles 2-3".

Last edited:

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Equalizer 12K WD w/integrated sway. Used a 6K version before this one. Loved both. Standard shank is a maximum 3" drop, but 7" rise. I had to buy a longer drop shank (6") for my 2500 since it was so high.

Opie, I don't use mine any longer (5th wheel now) so I'd sell it at a good price if you are close to MD (and I'll throw in some extras). Too heavy to ship it anywhere unfortunately. PM me if interested.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm probably wrong, but I thought only the BIG Blue Ox like mine came with 2.5" shank.

Also, have you factored in how much your truck will squat under the load? I have a heavy tongue weight and even with the blue ox 2000 the truck settles 2-3".

There are various options to get a 2.5" shank. Some, like the equalizer can be bought without the shank and it can be bought a la carte.

I have factored in squat. I have right around 1000# on the ball. With my truck set the way it is, the rear squats 1.5" and the front comes up .5". So in all reality I need more like 4" of drop.

I'm tossing the equalizer in the mix because it has all the attributes I want.

Sent from a field

OP
OP
O

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Equalizer 12K WD w/integrated sway. Used a 6K version before this one. Loved both. Standard shank is a maximum 3" drop, but 7" rise. I had to buy a longer drop shank (6") for my 2500 since it was so high.

Opie, I don't use mine any longer (5th wheel now) so I'd sell it at a good price if you are close to MD (and I'll throw in some extras). Too heavy to ship it anywhere unfortunately. PM me if interested.

Thanks for the offer. I grew up in MD (all around DC in various locations) but had to get away.

With your 6" drop, were you using the bottom holes?

Sent from a field

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the offer. I grew up in MD (all around DC in various locations) but had to get away.

With your 6" drop, were you using the bottom holes?

Sent from a field

Understand completely...i gotta retire first before I can do the same.

I have one more hole to go on the extended shank. If I recall correctly my trailer coupler height was 21" or 22". The receiver is very high on the HD.

OP
OP
O

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Understand completely...i gotta retire first before I can do the same.

I have one more hole to go on the extended shank. If I recall correctly my trailer coupler height was 21" or 22". The receiver is very high on the HD.

That's about exactly where I'm at. I have a cargo glide and cap so I sit about 1" lower than stock. Last night I hooked up to my standard 3" drop insert and I was sitting level while dropping 1.5" in the rear. So a 4-6" drop shank should work.

Sent from a field

CoachCJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have a question, I am new here and new to the Ram brand. Just picked up a 16 dually Laramie, coming from a GMC 1500. I pull a 30' travel trailer and I will be putting a golf cart in the bed of the truck.

I have a Blue Ox setup that I used with the old truck. I ordered a BXW4003 to get the ball height right for the new truck.

My question is, when I called Blue Ox to make sure I was ordering the correct part, they said to make sure I turn off the trucks sway control because they will fight each other. So how do you turn that off? I'm pretty sure my truck has it, but don't know how to turn it off. I haven't actually connected the trailer yet, maybe the truck doesn't give you the option unless it detects the trailer.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
I have a question, I am new here and new to the Ram brand. Just picked up a 16 dually Laramie, coming from a GMC 1500. I pull a 30' travel trailer and I will be putting a golf cart in the bed of the truck.

I have a Blue Ox setup that I used with the old truck. I ordered a BXW4003 to get the ball height right for the new truck.

My question is, when I called Blue Ox to make sure I was ordering the correct part, they said to make sure I turn off the trucks sway control because they will fight each other. So how do you turn that off? I'm pretty sure my truck has it, but don't know how to turn it off. I haven't actually connected the trailer yet, maybe the truck doesn't give you the option unless it detects the trailer.

Read the owners manual, they are free at ramtrucks.com . slick road button