Weird Climate Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I bought a used '03 Dodge and honestly no idea what the previous owner did over the years... he's definitely had the dash off at some point because I have about 10 screws in the glovebox he missed putting back and when I switched the radio out I found where a few went.

Basically, the issue is that the climate control seems to do whatever it wants.

For example, I have AC on, windows get a bit foggy so switch to defog for a bit, AC light goes out, I switch back to AC and light is out but AC runs. Then I have to randomly turn stuff on/off before seems to sync back up that the AC is on when the light is on, and off when light off.

This week, driving at night, air is nice and cool outside, but AC off the vents are bowing warm, both temp controls are set all the way to the left (cold). Next time I start the truck and drive, same settings, the nice cool air from outside is blowing through no problems. It's as if it switches to the dash vents but still thnks it's on defog.

When I switch the AC to also recycle interior air, light goes on but I notice no change, I hear nothing change. Not sure if he pulled the flap out maybe?

Just seems that it get's mixed up between what settings I select, and what settings it thinks it's doing.

Also, never had a climate control where you can turn the knob to different options, and there is a 'click' in between options. What's the purpose of the inbetween option?

Wilnel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 08, I just noticed the ac light not on during defog, it was obviously running I assume that's how that operates. as far as your other stuff, no idea.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Well thing is when I switch off the defog and go back to regular vents, the AC is running but light doesn't always come back on. I then have to toggle it on/off a few times, turn the dial back/forth then eventually light pops back up.

Maybe pull it out and clean the contacts? If lucky that'll fix it?

Sadly been one of those used vehicles where the previous owner bent the truth about a few things, and he did the work himself, but finding a lot of missing screws and screws I find never match. A simple job that should take just a single screw driver, usually ends up with 2 or 3 and maybe a small socket head. Been driving me nuts.