weird whistle rattly whirling noise on acceleration, hills, idling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sam777766

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 cid 5.9 L
Alright folks gonnatry to ring some bells here with a bit of crowd sourced wisdom, anyone recognize any of these noises. Tried to get the mechanic to fix the vaccum hose leak, and it seemed better, only the sound got worse and came back when i went back to the hills.

5.9 engine 3 dodge ram 2001 model

It sounds like its getting worse, and I really dont want to push it. Seems to have moved from the far right side down deeper into the bottom, almost like it was coming out of the transmission fluid pan. But it originally sounded like it ws coming out the glovebox. On accleration it almost seems like sometimes the wind catches it a certain way it will almost whistle or something like a punctured lung or kettle of boiling tea.

I mean more vaccum hoses coulda gone out, but my uncle says its unlikely they oughta be sturdier,but hes in another state cant get to it.

It sounds bad even idling now, but abruptly goes away on sudden curves, like particularly switching lanes abruptly will dissapate, it and on long flat freeways it'll die down. It shows up the worst when it accelerates.

I know its got a leak around the PVC but that was minor. It could have finally gotten significantly affected.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have a lack of power when this happens?Just wondering if your cat conv is coming apart and blocking the exit hole at times.