Wet headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kjohnson260

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
20190327_175214.jpg
I purchased my 2019 Ram about 6 months ago. I have been absolutely loving it, and have not had any issues until now. I was really disappointed when I looked in my rearview mirror and noticed a water line on the headliner.

I have an appointment at the dealer on Friday to have them take a look at it. This is the first new vehicle I have ever purchased so it's really hard for me to stop myself from taking things apart to figure out where the water is getting in. My guess is if I so much as touch the third brake light screws with a screwdriver they won't repair any of water damage under warranty.

I have read about third brake light leaks on the 4th gen trucks, but I haven't seen much about this issue on the 5th gen trucks. Has anyone else had this issue on their 5th gen?

Mine is a 2019 Laramie crew cab, no sunroof.

20190327_175214.jpg

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
3rd brake light is probably leaking, some are notorious for this.

I cant believe they still haven't resolved this.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That would be an absolute atrocity if FCA STILL hasn't resolved the shiddy 3rd brake light design...

That would be my first guess here.

I battled it with my 2017 Ram 1500 and still have some light staining on the headliner as proof. :(

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When mine leaked, it was the roof mounted antenna that did me in supposedly...

OP
OP
Kjohnson260

Kjohnson260

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update:

I dropped my truck off at the dealership for the day on Friday. When I picked it up that evening they said the water was getting in through the center brake light.

I did ask about the antenna but they assured me it was the brake light. (I guess we will see)

They said they were going to order a whole new third brake light assembly and that it will take two weeks before they have the parts.

They said after the brake light assembly has been replaced they will have their detail shop clean the headliner to get rid of the waterline. I'm interested to see how that turns out...

OP
OP
Kjohnson260

Kjohnson260

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update:

So the dealership replaced the third brake light assembly and had their detail shop clean the headliner.

I was a little disappointed because you can still faintly see the watermark lines on a couple of places. You need to know where to look in order find them so I'm probably being a little too picky.

It has rained pretty hard a couple of times since the work was done and so far there hasn't been any more water intrusion.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Glad to hear the dealer got the leak fixed for you. If you're not happy with stains on the headliner, contact Ramcare and I'd bet they can help you get it taken care of. I surprised they didn't replace it.