What did you do to/with your second gen today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I imagine that guy reached Mopars back when they were carbed. Chrysler made as much of these engines interchangeable as possible to save money.

Most of the HP making stuff for these trucks will require a reflash of the PCM. Heads, cam, intake manifold, throttle body, etc. It all changes how the engine breaths and the PCM needs to be adjusted to accommodate those changes...... Unless you want to be like a few members on here that discovered that the hard way. Lol

You want your truck to wake up? Stay on top of maintenance. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, plenum plate kit, replace trans filter, adjust the bands, maybe install a shift kit, delete the cooler check valve, clean the throttle body, make sure all hoses to the intake manifold are snug, only buy Mopar pcv valves, etc. These trucks aren't slouches. You put your foot down and they we'll leave.

Reactions: Mop

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
worked on installing one air horn an on the wrecker, just need to wire power to the compressor and horn solenoid.

Will work on the onboard air 5 gal tank and larger horns over the weekend

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally managed to get the thermostat housing back on without having to pull the alt/ac bracket. Installed the new rad and used rad shroud. Had to fill the overflow tank with rocks, nuts and bolts, and some cleaner - it was so encrusted with rust, I couldn't see how much coolant was in it. Looks pretty good now.

Got replacement bumper brackets and got the bumper installed, but the top plastic cover - all the mounting tabs are broken off, so I'm guessing I need a new one. Also, anyone know what size and where to get the push pins to put the front fender liner back in?

Get those couple of things done, and it'll look like a truck again. Then I need to figure out what to do with it.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Havent done anything but an oil change lately. Was sitting a little but because i picked up a Volkswagen to daily but I'm doing some work to the car at the moment

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
my v10 ball joint popped out on driverside again on the top. drove it home 30 miles like that.
ordered new upper control arms with ball joints to be done with this nonsense.

trying to trade the v10 repo truck and my cadillac for a rollback or just one if its an old POS. no luck yet.

Got the train horn installed on the cummins wrecker.

lowered ram is having pcm issues again, on lifetime warranty pcm, however seller wont answer messages. go figure.

Had some fun days.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Changed fluids in the engine, transfer case and rear end. Would do the front axle but 75-140 is damned expensive, LOL. Oil in there's only a few years old anyway so I think I'm gonna milk my money's worth there.

Finally figured out that rattling noise that's been bugging me across the last few months. It's the catalytic converter vibrating on the transmission crossmember. So, when I had my exhaust guy install my headers, he had to add a section to the y-pipe to widen it to make everything fit. This appears to have pushed the cat so close to the crossmember that it will vibrate onto it during certain throttle conditions. I, being intoxicated and not really thinking rationally, shoved a plastic washer in place to cushion it and it worked for something like ten minutes before it literally melted in half. I then shoved a metal washer in there, went for a proper drive and sure enough, the rattling was gone. Unfortunately, this setup transferred a ton of vibrations into the cab, so I decided that the cat occasionally rattling on the crossmember was the lesser of two evils. Oh, well. When my shorties rot out, I'm going to replace them with long tubes and redo the entire exhaust setup so the way I figure it, it's tomorrow's problem, LOL.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Changed fluids in the engine, transfer case and rear end. Would do the front axle but 75-140 is damned expensive, LOL. Oil in there's only a few years old anyway so I think I'm gonna milk my money's worth there.

Finally figured out that rattling noise that's been bugging me across the last few months. It's the catalytic converter vibrating on the transmission crossmember. So, when I had my exhaust guy install my headers, he had to add a section to the y-pipe to widen it to make everything fit. This appears to have pushed the cat so close to the crossmember that it will vibrate onto it during certain throttle conditions. I, being intoxicated and not really thinking rationally, shoved a plastic washer in place to cushion it and it worked for something like ten minutes before it literally melted in half. I then shoved a metal washer in there, went for a proper drive and sure enough, the rattling was gone. Unfortunately, this setup transferred a ton of vibrations into the cab, so I decided that the cat occasionally rattling on the crossmember was the lesser of two evils. Oh, well. When my shorties rot out, I'm going to replace them with long tubes and redo the entire exhaust setup so the way I figure it, it's tomorrow's problem, LOL.
hit the rail with a grinder lol

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well... I've got these beauties coming for my truck.

AUTEX Transmission Pressure Sensor Governor Solenoid Kit A500 A518 42RE 44RE 46RE 47RE for 96-99 Dodge Jeep

Transmission kit 88-03 42-47RH & RE 500, 518 & 618 All Except Diesels. Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, and Plymouth
interestingly enough Amazon claims that the above shift kit isn't for my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L 46re transmission. The title says otherwise though. :Big Laugh:

This will be a next weekend project before going to see Super Troopers. :)

Edit: Well Solenoid and Sensor came in. Now I'm just waiting on my Jr Shift kit.

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Did an oil change, and trans. fluid and filter change this weekend.

Adjusted the TV cable and ****** it alllll up. lol Not liking the way it is at the moment.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
ruined the pinion bearing on the wrecker and overheated the rear end. Turns out she was bone dry. Is it possible for a normal guy to just change the outside bearing? It has a bit of side to side play and it turns about 1/3 of a full turn, or can i just tighten the nut down?

Its got the damn disc brake rear end, and I feel like a damn idiot for ruining it. it does still drive at the moment, but I will not tow or drive it anywhere unless it's to get fixed.

2nd question, can I use a drum brake rear end from and earlier dodge dually? found one in houston for $500 with rims / tires shocks and all, basically back half of truck minus bed.

3rd average cost to rebuild an axle? Does it need a rebuild?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
ruined the pinion bearing on the wrecker and overheated the rear end. Turns out she was bone dry. Is it possible for a normal guy to just change the outside bearing? It has a bit of side to side play and it turns about 1/3 of a full turn, or can i just tighten the nut down?

Its got the damn disc brake rear end, and I feel like a damn idiot for ruining it. it does still drive at the moment, but I will not tow or drive it anywhere unless it's to get fixed.

2nd question, can I use a drum brake rear end from and earlier dodge dually? found one in houston for $500 with rims / tires shocks and all, basically back half of truck minus bed.

3rd average cost to rebuild an axle? Does it need a rebuild?
You're going to need a rebuild and if it's something you've never messed with I would leave it to a shop that has experience with it.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
well I went to houston and bought the 96 axle with drums, I actually bought the whole truck with title for $500. Going to swap the rear ends tomorrow. Wish me luck, usually people go from drum to disc not other way around!

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well my transmission project is going to wait another weekend. It's raining like hell today.. This weekend I get to trace down an issue with my reverse lights. They come on when in drive but seem to shut off when in Neutral. I was told anyway, I'll have to do some more digging when I get home today if it isn't raining. I'm hoping it's something dumb.

edit: Scratching reverse lights as an issue. Its not doing it now.

Edit 2: Had a talk with my coworker about what he saw. He said it was strange to him because he thought it was a broken tail light at first. Apparently my reverse lights come on only when I'm driving and shut off when I come to a stop. I guess I'm going to be probing for broken wires tomorrow. :/

I'm starting to wonder if a messed up Neutral Safety Switch on these trucks will also cause issues with transmission shifting.

Last edited:

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
swapped the rear ends last night, some finish work today but she drives correctly again!

IMG_4294.jpg

IMG_4295.jpg

IMG_4296.jpg

IMG_4297.jpg

IMG_4298.jpg

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
more pics from the swap including finish!

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Fixed my transmission problems, ignition issues, and shifter issues in one swing.

I've been having issues where 1-2 shifts would act like it's going into neutral instead of 2nd and then it'd go to 2nd and drive. Today I threw it in 2nd by accident and noticed that it shifted from 1-2 smoothly. Checked the shift linkage and sure enough it was wrong. After correcting it I realized what happened. The shade tree mechanic that had it before me adjusted the linkage to fix the gauge instead of adjusting the gauge itself. So this whole time I've been. Driving in Dreutral instead of drive. XD

So now then I out it in park the shifter locks and the ignition turns smoothly.

Edit: So it didn't fix the 1-2 shift but it did seem to reduce it.

Now I just need to figure out why shifting from 1-2 is smooth in 2nd but not in D. Probably a job for next weekend when I have the valve body out.

Edit 2: Figured out that it is just the shift from 1 to 2 that's acting up. Put it in 2nd while at a stop sign today on my way to work and it did it there too. It didn't have any issues locking gears in 1st so it's just the shift. That should be an easy fix.

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Haven't posted much lately. Monday last week I drove it to Des Moines and had dinner with FlyinRyan and a few friends. Then Thursday drove back for some dyno tuning on one of my friends jeeps. Thing is insane. 2300cfm throttle body, 4bbl m1, heavily ported EQ heads, big cam and 14:1 compression with hood exit headers in a Jeep GC. Built it for mud racing. Estimated to make around 480-525whp dyno dependent BEFORE a 250shot of nitrous. Sadly, couldn't get it on the dyno. Apparently it welded the front clutches together in the trans or something and on the trailer a little throttle revving got it to jump forward in park. Get it off the trailer and it ran basically full throttle into the trailer with the same playing with the throttle. Called it off at that point.

Then Monday I installed a new baffled catch can. Also picked up a set of front fender well liners and the pigtail for my leather seats that have been sitting in the garage. Need to get those going. Got the liners cleaned and installed then sprayed em with a cheap rubberized bed liner.

Pretty much everything Ive been doing has been focused on the new daily Passat.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Got my new tires yesterday. Leaving the white letter, all terrain life for a bit and slapping a set of Thunderer Trac Grips on her come monday hopefully.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Replaced Governor Pressure Solenoid and sensor. I said the hell with doing the shift kit myself since the holes drilled require a machinist drill bit set. I'll probably just track down a local shop that will do it for me.

The pulsing when driving is fixed now.

https://i.imgur.com/JkBZNqY.jpg