What did you do with your 4th Gen this week?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
The seat removal and all that took way longer than the vent swap, the vents took less than a minute each. The passenger side I removed and reinstalled through the vent hole from the inside of the truck, the driver side came out through the vent but I couldn't get the new one in that way so I pushed it up through the gap from under the truck. Pulled through and snapped in easy.
Thank you

I will check mine out in the spring.. Was not sure you could push them up from the bottom ! I wonder if you could use a string to pull them up from the inside ? or my 70 y/o body can bend enough to push them up lol

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you

I will check mine out in the spring.. Was not sure you could push them up from the bottom ! I wonder if you could use a string to pull them up from the inside ? or my 70 y/o body can bend enough to push them up lol
I didn't have to get under, just reached under the edge and pushed it up, there was a slight tension between the cab and bed that was enough to hold it near the vent hole enough that I could grab it by hand.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I didn't have to get under, just reached under the edge and pushed it up, there was a slight tension between the cab and bed that was enough to hold it near the vent hole enough that I could grab it by hand.
WOW Great to know that .. Thank You

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Well, so far this week, I'm eyeballing whether or not to get an OEM trailer brake controller/switch kit and get the truck flashed (or hit up AlfaOBD), or just go 3rd-party with a wiring harness adapter.

Once I figure that out, I can go get this thing and start dragging it around, but this time without the kids (they're old enough to buy their own RV trailer if they want one...) https://www.rvguide.com/specs/forest-river/travel-trailer/2022/no-boundaries/nb19-2.html

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, so far this week, I'm eyeballing whether or not to get an OEM trailer brake controller/switch kit and get the truck flashed (or hit up AlfaOBD), or just go 3rd-party with a wiring harness adapter.

Once I figure that out, I can go get this thing and start dragging it around, but this time without the kids (they're old enough to buy their own RV trailer if they want one...) https://www.rvguide.com/specs/forest-river/travel-trailer/2022/no-boundaries/nb19-2.html
The OEM is light years better than the aftermarket ones I've used before. Better position, integrated with the display and radio, works great for me.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
I got my "stuff" for a place called -Infotainment- My new used 2016 Ram Had a 5.0 basic. I added a backup camera (the one that the lines DO NOT BEND and the trailer brake control. The trailer brake "kit" came with module, module bracket, Chip to upgrade truck so it knew it was there, wiring harness, screws. Basically, everything needed. Lots of videos online about this kit and its installation, and other "stuff" they have. They also sell a Factory style camera (the lines bend) but a lot more$. the less expensive one does NOT see well in the dark! So, I added a Morimoto "Boost Bar License Plate Light" so that it could. That light was only $75 (got that from American Trucks). I only paid $370 for the backup kit. If I remember the better set up was a few hundred more. But that backup light addition -to me- is a much better deal and does everything I need it to do. There is info in her from me on that also. Just watch the videos and check prices. It all looks factory installed, because it go where the factory would have put it.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
I finally installed the seat heaters in my BigHorn. Took me most of the day, but they work great.

I used a fuse tap where the normal seat heater fuse goes (there was actually a fuse already installed there) and then ran a power wire into the cab. Removed both seats, stripped back the cloth and installed the heater pads. I spent a good deal of time routing wires and making sure the harnesses were clean and buttoned up.

I pulled the cloth seat covers back as far as possible and didn't have to cut any from the heater pads. Since I didn't have any hog rings, I used thick zip ties in place of those. Can't even tell the seat covers have ever been removed. Installed the switches in the flat area on the center console just below the radio (one on each side).

let see pics of your good work :waytogo:

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The time has finally come for me to get this stuff in the truck and off the shelf. Been sitting for over a year because I hadn't been able to dedicate the time to get it done. Wish I had a little more room but at least getting the front end down on the ground saved me a climb to get in the engine bay.

20230214_182753.jpg20230214_182759.jpg20230215_073517.jpg20230216_141315.jpg

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
looking forward to seeing the results :waytogo:
You and I both! LOL After some measuring I'm 90% sure the cam will clear the AC condenser so other than working around the lines being annoying I shouldn't have to vacuum the system and recharge it. I was supposed to be off work this weekend so I got a head start on getting it done because it was the only "free time" I had, got to work tonight and they changed my schedule to having to work. :banghead: So now I've got to buckle down and maximize what gets done each day. Luckily in the roughly 3 hour head start I got today I'm only an hour or so from having the heads off and cam out. Then I can focus of cleaning and reassembly.

The one thing I'm debating on still is if I want to paint my valve covers while they're off. If I do they'll get Hemi Orange to match my Vararam. I think by the time the coils are on it won't be too "loud" of a color. Googlr supplied pic of what I'm thinking about doing.

vc1.jpg

Last edited:

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
let see pics of your good work :waytogo:
Unfortunately there really isn't anything to show with the exception to two small switches on the center console (one just below the dial shifter on the driver side and one below the 110v port on the passenger side). There is no wiring visible and the seats look exactly as they did from the factory.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
You and I both! LOL After some measuring I'm 90% sure the cam will clear the AC condenser so other than working around the lines being annoying I shouldn't have to vacuum the system and recharge it. I was supposed to be off work this weekend so I got a head start on getting it done because it was the only "free time" I had, got to work tonight and they changed my schedule to having to work. :banghead: So now I've got to buckle down and maximize what gets done each day. Luckily in the roughly 3 hour head start I got today I'm only an hour or so from having the heads off and cam out. Then I can focus of cleaning and reassembly.

The one thing I'm debating on still is if I want to paint my valve covers while they're off. If I do they'll get Hemi Orange to match my Vararam. I think by the time the coils are on it won't be too "loud" of a color. Googlr supplied pic of what I'm thinking about doing.

View attachment 513876

Yep, free time is certainly scare lately.

I’ve tossed around the idea as well as going Hemi Orange to match my Vararam, or even go a crinkled black for some contrast.

You'll have the parts off, so now would be the time to do it. Cant go wrong with Hemi Orange regardless :waytogo:

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Unfortunately there really isn't anything to show with the exception to two small switches on the center console (one just below the dial shifter on the driver side and one below the 110v port on the passenger side). There is no wiring visible and the seats look exactly as they did from the factory.

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t mind seeing the switches. Can provide others with some ideas as well :waytogo:

Last edited:

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Saw some condensation in one of my headlights this week so I took it out today. Apparently I didn’t tighten the cap down all the way when I installed hids and I poured about 8oz of water out of the headlight housing….. whoops.. got it baking in the oven now to dry it out

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Got this critter installed a few minutes ago... Tekonsha Prodigy P3.

Did I mention that when YouTube says the cables are "...right there!", they're lying through their teeth? Had to pop the center console out to find 'em (and since I have a weird Fleet-only trim rigging, I was half-worried that I had a plug, but no wiring. Fortunately, it was just a case of someone in Warren who got a little too eager.

I find out how well it will work on Monday, when I pick up my trailer.

I totally dig the manual braking override lever, though. Always hated the 'pinch' setups.

Attachments

• 20230218_113001.jpg
    20230218_113001.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 19

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Making some headway on the cam install. Stopped for a quick lunch break and verifying memory to set timing without pulling the oil pump. New cam is in, MDS delete plugs, Hellcat lifters, 1 head is back on. Soon as I'm done with my break I'm going to set timing and get the other head on and keep buttoning this up. Hope to have it done before work tomorrow night. I painted my valve covers while it was apart. I kept going back and forth whether to do it or not, finally said hell with it and gave them a quick bath in orange to match my Vararam.

Oh, and you CAN get the cam out without discharging the A/C. Is it annoying working over the condenser and around the lines? Yes, but not having to discharge/recharge the A/C is a noteworthy perk.

Cam had a few lobes starting to show wear but nothing terrible (YET)
20230217_190015.jpg20230217_225239.jpg20230217_225244.jpg20230218_142258.jpg20230218_144540.jpg

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Making some headway on the cam install. Stopped for a quick lunch break and verifying memory to set timing without pulling the oil pump. New cam is in, MDS delete plugs, Hellcat lifters, 1 head is back on. Soon as I'm done with my break I'm going to set timing and get the other head on and keep buttoning this up. Hope to have it done before work tomorrow night. I painted my valve covers while it was apart. I kept going back and forth whether to do it or not, finally said hell with it and gave them a quick bath in orange to match my Vararam.

Oh, and you CAN get the cam out without discharging the A/C. Is it annoying working over the condenser and around the lines? Yes, but not having to discharge/recharge the A/C is a noteworthy perk.

Cam had a few lobes starting to show wear but nothing terrible (YET)
View attachment 513980View attachment 513981View attachment 513982View attachment 513983View attachment 513984

Orange is looking great

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Orange is looking great
Sat my Vararam up top and sat the coils in to give the "final" look to make sure I liked it. Definitely just the right amount of orange in my opinion. I'm usually a "less is more" kinda guy. A lot of the reason my truck is built around the 'OEM+' style.20230218_181604.jpg

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Sat my Vararam up top and sat the coils in to give the "final" look to make sure I liked it. Definitely just the right amount of orange in my opinion. I'm usually a "less is more" kinda guy. A lot of the reason my truck is built around the 'OEM+' style.View attachment 513995

Im with you on that, balancing just the right amount to compliment everything…… but not too much. :waytogo: