What do I need to know about owning a 3rd gen 4.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found a 3rd gen for sale for $3500 the interior is in very good shape. The truck has 305,000 miles. Engine has 161,000 it was replaced at the dealer. Does have the typical rust on the rear fender well only on the passenger side. The clear coat is also failing in spots. But the truck looks like its been cared for. It's a 2wd the owner used it to drive over 100 miles a day for work. He retired and no longer needs it. Transmission is original. I saw it in a Lowe's parking lot so I looked at it briefly and then called and set up a time to look at it. (Tomorrow evening).
No leaks underneath everything was dry.
I know the miles would scare people but what do you guys think? The truck has never towed anything doesn't even have a trailer hitch. What should I look out for? I've owned a 2nd gen for 9 years it was my grandfathers truck. I'd like to start restoring it so I'll need a daily driver pick up. All help is appreciated. Look forward to all the input and advice you guys give.

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don’t let the miles scare you if it’s been taken care of…just crossed 405k miles in my ‘08 4.7 6spd. That being said, I’ve always been scared of automatic transmissions (especially Chrysler ones). That’s a helluva deal in this market if the truck runs/drives well.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Don’t let the miles scare you if it’s been taken care of…just crossed 405k miles in my ‘08 4.7 6spd. That being said, I’ve always been scared of automatic transmissions (especially Chrysler ones). That’s a helluva deal in this market if the truck runs/drives well.
Yeah but you have the redesigned hot rod 4.7 lol.

I found a 3rd gen for sale for $3500 the interior is in very good shape. The truck has 305,000 miles. Engine has 161,000 it was replaced at the dealer. Does have the typical rust on the rear fender well only on the passenger side. The clear coat is also failing in spots. But the truck looks like its been cared for. It's a 2wd the owner used it to drive over 100 miles a day for work. He retired and no longer needs it. Transmission is original. I saw it in a Lowe's parking lot so I looked at it briefly and then called and set up a time to look at it. (Tomorrow evening).
No leaks underneath everything was dry.
I know the miles would scare people but what do you guys think? The truck has never towed anything doesn't even have a trailer hitch. What should I look out for? I've owned a 2nd gen for 9 years it was my grandfathers truck. I'd like to start restoring it so I'll need a daily driver pick up. All help is appreciated. Look forward to all the input and advice you guys give.

Owning an early (before 2008) is a delicate balancing act of getting it consistently hot enough so that you burn the condensation out of the oil so it doesn't sludge up but not getting it too hot so that it overheats enough to drop a valve seat. I've seen earlier 4.7's that have crossed the 200k and 300k thresholds. I have also seen 4.7's that didn't make it past 100k. If the engine only has 106k on it you're probably good, just need to take a good hard look at the rest of the truck, especially underneath. Also at that mileage prepare yourself for the possibility of replacing the trans (if it's an automatic).

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dakota1820

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I figure if it goes out I can swap it in the driveway. Rwd are pretty easy to do especially 2wd. What do guys do to avoid the sludge issue?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There is debate whether synthetic helps or not. Personally I like it. Best practice is to avoid too many short trips without taking some longer or higher speed ones to get it good and warm.