What does RAM mean to you? Why did you buy a RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m with you guys on the V8 thing. Love mine. Love the sound, power etc.... like I’ve said before on here I think the V8’s are a dying breed for regular folk that use it for recreation and commuting. From what I understand the new Ram is a hybrid of sorts with a Hemi. It has a large battery to help offset the engine. So it has battery assistance. For what I don’t know. The exact thing it does I don’t know. That’s just what I read.

I predict the last truck to hang on to a V8 will be the Toyota and second Nissan. For some reason those guys don’t care about MPG when it comes to trucks. They usually lead the pack in poor MPG which baffles me. Considering the fuel efficient cars and such. Anyways, that’s my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that ETorque thing is just basically a motor/generator that replaces the traditional alternator that runs the vehicle’s electrical system with a small, suitcase-sized battery pack somewhere in the rear of the cab, but it also acts as a quick-starter for the stop/start crap like what the EgoBoost Phord cars have, and it acts as a torque booster too somehow. 91 foot-pounds for the V6, and the full 130 foot-pounds for the Hemi.

Sounds like a neat concept I spose but that start/stop nonsense is a feature that would never be used.

https://autoweek.com/article/technology/2019-ram-etorque-system-torque-down-low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Well, that ETorque thing is just basically a motor/generator that replaces the traditional alternator that runs the vehicle’s electrical system with a small, suitcase-sized battery pack somewhere in the rear of the cab, but it also acts as a quick-starter for the stop/start crap like what the EgoBoost Phord cars have, and it acts as a torque booster too somehow. 91 foot-pounds for the V6, and the full 130 foot-pounds for the Hemi.

Sounds like a neat concept I spose but that start/stop nonsense is a feature that would never be used.

https://autoweek.com/article/technology/2019-ram-etorque-system-torque-down-low

Great info ! Thanks [emoji106]. I do find it interesting watching it evolve and wonder what the next thing will be. Like watching a train wreck and you can’t stop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Bought my 17 in December of 16 after living with a pos 15 Silverado for a year and a half. Lots of issues with the Chevy, I've listed them all many times here..

I'm a Ford man but crawled around and under all 3 and ram was built the heaviest of the 3 (3/4 tons) in terms of axles, steering and suspension pieces. Always loved the big rig styling of the ram and missed the 1997 2500 ram i had. Chevy was out from the get go plus it had ifs which i didn't like. Ford was very nice but not 10k nicer for a less optioned truck!

I'm still very happy with the ram going on 2 years later now. All smiles. I had some jacka** in some sport model Hyundai SUV yesterday from a stop light try to beat me to where it narrows to one lane. Doing the usual inch forward at the red light thing so I knew what he was doing ....on green I hit the skinny pedal.....not all the way at first, but hard and then down on the floor....and while that Hyundai whatever sort of hung in there it just didnt have enough steam for the big Hemi and he never got past my door...the farther we went he faded back to a nice view of my tail lights..hahaha...needless to say he was pissed...hahhaha...i was all smiles....just like when I was in my 20s :guile-1:...

Last edited:

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
For me RAM = HEMI. After owning a '13 Challenger with the 5.7...I just had to have a truck with one. My previously two "trucks" were an '06 Honda Ridgeline (Functional and quite capable AWD, but only average power from the 3.5 V-6), and an '02 Avalanche with it's respectable but pedestrian 5.3 V-8.

The HEMI makes this truck. It has more HP that the same motor in the cars, and the stock exhaust actually sound better than the non-active exhaust Challengers/Chargers. With all the annoying UConnect bugs and stupid rotary shifter and super slow air-suspension...if this truck didn't have this motor, I wouldn't touch it with a 10' F-150 driveshaft. The HEMI makes all the other crap endurable.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
What RAM means to me...

If you tow where you need serious HP and torque, there is no other choice in the class. Many Ram Cummins owners, including myself, bought a Cummins Turbo Diesel that came Giftwrapped in Ram body. The plus for me... I really like the Giftwrapping.

Rainmn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram doesn't mean anything to me. I've owned somewhere in the ballpark of 40 cars and trucks since I was 16, and don't have any real loyalty to any brand. For me, it's about the deal, and what I happen to be looking for at that particular point in time.

At this time, I was about to give my daughter the 80 series Landcruiser I'd been semi-restoring for about a year, and saw an ad on TV for a lease deal on the '18 QC Pentastar. I wanted a pickup, and was considering another Tacoma. The Ram was simply a better deal, and I'm pretty happy with it 3 months in. The extra room over a Tacoma has already come in handy several times, and the Pentastar gets better mileage than my last Tacoma did.

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm a Mopar guy. I've had 2 daily drivers in my life. I've had other "play cars," but 2 drivers. Late 90's, my State changed the emission laws, and I couldn't get an Inspection for my red Charger any more. I wasn't happy.
I was trying to decide which direction to go. I'm an outdoorsman, needed lots of trunk space, and I really loved the 2nd Gen Rams. After lots of research, I had a custom-made 1999 Ram built in Nov. 1998. I still have my daily driver 1999 Ram Sport.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm a Mopar guy. I've had 2 daily drivers in my life. I've had other "play cars," but 2 drivers. Late 90's, my State changed the emission laws, and I couldn't get an Inspection for my red Charger any more. I wasn't happy.
I was trying to decide which direction to go. I'm an outdoorsman, needed lots of trunk space, and I really loved the 2nd Gen Rams. After lots of research, I had a custom-made 1999 Ram built in Nov. 1998. I still have my daily driver 1999 Ram Sport.

What happened to cars only having to conform to the emissions laws of the year they were built??

Reactions: Mop

KingBama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine
Just bought a 5th gen Sport Hemi black and 14k off MSRP. Love it! I’ve owned a Sierra, Silverado, and a previous Ram. Ram is hands down the best looking (especially the 5th gen. That new front end omg) and the roomiest. I always feel proud driving my RAM. Never felt that way in my Sierra and Silverado.

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Just bought a 5th gen Sport Hemi black and 14k off MSRP. Love it! I’ve owned a Sierra, Silverado, and a previous Ram. Ram is hands down the best looking (especially the 5th gen. That new front end omg) and the roomiest. I always feel proud driving my RAM. Never felt that way in my Sierra and Silverado.

Welcome Aboard from Denison Texas

We’re glad to hear that you love your truck. Those gen 5 trucks are growing on me too. I absolutely love my gen 4 HD.

You should go to the new member introduction page and introduce yourself to the forum.
Tell us about you and your truck.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Ram is like a member of the family. I like dealing with one dealership and I'm always reluctant to change dealerships. I also try to deal with the same salesperson each time. My initial switch to Ram came after having four or five Dakotas, all with V8s, and I could move up to the Ram with a hemi and get about the same gas mileage with more space, more comfort, more power. I moved up to a Longhorn in '13. After four years, it was a longer stretch than I had kept any of the previous trucks, so it was time to trade. The only thing I wanted was another Longhorn and the '17 I have now is a little over a year old and it just ticked over 6000 miles. I would not be surprised if I find myself in a '19 Longhorn before too long.:cheers:

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Reliability
Always
Matters

Driven em all over the past 30-odd years. While no matter the nameplate, they've all gotten me from point A to point B, my Dodge and Ram trucks have never outright surprised me with **** going wrong. Not to say I haven't had to replace things, but they've never been situations that have left me stranded, or scrambling to figure out what the hell is wrong. Never been more comfortable in a truck than I have been in a Mopar, and not just creature comfort. Knowing I have a truck that's more reliable than the rest makes a great deal of difference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Reliability
Always
Matters

Driven em all over the past 30-odd years. While no matter the nameplate, they've all gotten me from point A to point B, my Dodge and Ram trucks have never outright surprised me with **** going wrong. Not to say I haven't had to replace things, but they've never been situations that have left me stranded, or scrambling to figure out what the hell is wrong. Never been more comfortable in a truck than I have been in a Mopar, and not just creature comfort. Knowing I have a truck that's more reliable than the rest makes a great deal of difference.

One of the best RAM answers so far.
Reliability
Always
Maters
This couldn’t have been better said.

[emoji477]️ and [emoji507][emoji507] for you this morning.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll admit, after the corporate limited slip diff failed in both the 98 1500 I had, and in the 04 Dakota I had, I could’ve very easily jumped on the “never again”, or “screw Dodge” bandwagon like so many people do when stuff happens but I guess I just love my Mopars too much. That, and it was kinda my fault why the diffs turned to metal chunk soup. They weren’t made to play in the mountains like I played with them.

My Mopars have had a few issues along the way but I still refuse to drive anything else. I don’t care who’s truck has a little bit more power one year, or who’s has this particular feature, or who’s has the better mileage. My 08 Ram got some of the ********* mileage around but I didn’t care. It was still the best, nicest truck I had ever had, since my new Limited.

PNW-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I think all the modern trucks are pretty nice, so I bought the one with a Cummins. If Ford sold a 1 ton with a Cummins I may have bought one of those.

The Ram is nice, but the Ford & GM diesels suck.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think all the modern trucks are pretty nice, so I bought the one with a Cummins. If Ford sold a 1 ton with a Cummins I may have bought one of those.

Well yeah, in my opinion the Ford and GM diesels never have been worth a **** except for the 7.3 Cornbinder.

But I was thinking you coulda got a 450 or. 550-up with the Cummins if you wanted a Phord dually that bad.

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Can't speak for real world powerstroke performance, but I did test drive several Ford duallys before buying my Cummins. Can't lie, I did like what I saw and felt. But at minimum $10k+ more than an equally specced Ram? Wasn't even worth pursuing it beyond the test drive, especially since a Laramie Longhorn exceeds the creature comforts of the platinum edition Fords.

Not to mention Cummins > all else.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought mine because of the ride, interior quality and comfort, and the price.

If I’m honest, the ram is my least favorite in the looks dept of the big 3. I’ve had 9 f150s, and was on my way to the dealership to buy #10 when I stopped at the local dodge dealer to check out the rams. I had never driven one and had only ridden in one once. Probably 1000’ into the test drive I made up my mind to buy it.

I’m not sold on the idea of MDS for long term reliability, but I typically don’t keep vehicles more than a few years anyway. The longest I’ve owned one truck was 3 years, and i put 80k miles on it in that time.

The ride quality of this truck is so much better than the f150 or GMC, it’s not even a comparison. The interior is well put together and the seats are quite comfortable. I prefer the look of the GMC (though I’ve never owned one), then the f150 then ram. I was going to buy a new Sierra but the dealer wouldn’t work with me on trade.

The ram was stickered at a little over $45k, I paid $32k, and they gave me $5k more in trade than the GMC dealer would give. A comparably equipped F150 would have cost me $40k at least. The ram has almost every option except leather and a sunroof.