What does RAM mean to you? Why did you buy a RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My dad owned a contracting business and we had dozens of fords, so I bought a barracuda when I was 16 and that was it. I’ve had 6 rams since and still have a 68 cuda.
Dad loved my car but he always stayed with Ford til the day he died!

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i was going to go with Ford. its all i knew about. wanting to convince myself that Ford was the best i went to a Ram dealership and tried out the 1500. the interior was like a fighter pilot's cockpit compared to the Ford. i was in love at first sit.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
My dad owned a contracting business and we had dozens of fords, so I bought a barracuda when I was 16 and that was it. I’ve had 6 rams since and still have a 68 cuda.
Dad loved my car but he always stayed with Ford til the day he died!

Hey @CincyCuda68... I just sold my 66 Barracuda Formula S to my brother (273 4V, 4-speed, sure grip, manual steering, manual brakes). At least I get to see it from time to time.

Last edited:

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
I've always been a MOPAR guy since learning to drive in my parents '66 Plymouth VIP (383 2V), still had enough pep for my brother and me (surprising we did not break something the way we treated it), also see above post.

Anyway, when looking for a replacement tow vehicle for our 30' Airstream, we were initially looking at Suburbans. Then we thought we would check out trucks. My wife saw this truck ('14 1500, Longhorn, 5.7) first and said "look at this pretty truck." Looked up the tow rating and with the 8-speed and 3.92 rear gears it would handle the trailer easily. We already knew it had the 8-speed so I asked the dealer if it had 3.92 gears, they called back and said they looked it up and it did. OK, lets go look at it. Looked good, 30K miles, let's get it.

tbone63

Fast & Furious ish
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I've had a new 2000 off road 5.9L, new 2004 Hemi that I modded with exhaust, chip, intake etc and now a 17 Laramie Crew 5.7L. Looks, looks, and more looks. Beautiful truck, runs great, steers great, stops great, interior is great. Just a really nice truck that GM and Ford can't match.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey @CincyCuda68... I just sold my 66 Barracuda Formula S to my brother (273 4V, 4-speed, sure grip, manual steering, manual brakes). At least I get to see it from time to time.
I sold my 68 that I bought in 86 to a guy 50 miles away so I didn’t have to see it again. I sold it for down payment on my 2nd house. Turns out that a good high school friend worked with him and bought my car. So now I’m building a new one so we can put them side by side at shows!!!

Started a YouTube and website to document my build. I started it in 2003 but had to put it away through a divorce and getting back in my feet. Now it’s time to finish it.
Cudaproject.com

JS1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When shopping for trucks I considered the F150 because I do like how the newer ones look. However, the turbocharged Ecoboost gas engine just wasn't for me. After owning my Ram with the 5.7 Hemi for several months I have learned that I prefer a big, loud, naturally aspirated V8. But I also think that the V8 engine Ford offers is too small; across the board the competition offer larger V8 engines. I've heard nothing but good things about the reliability of the 5.0, but the 5.7 Hemi has the same reputation while putting out better numbers. Personally I just prefer the higher displacement. Last but not least, Ford's higher price point was a deal killer for me.

I didn't really consider Chevy primarily because of those goofy square shaped fender wells on this last generation. I realize that aesthetics are not everything, but this was a Chevy characteristic that I just couldn't get over.

I drove an 08 Ram 1500 several years ago (V6), and that experience made me a Ram fan. I decided to go with Ram for my current truck because I had always heard good things about the reliability of the 5.7 Hemi. I also think the body style of the Rams (4th generation in particular) is way better than that of the competition. Most importantly, I think Ram offers the best value for your money in most cases.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Coming from two Fords back in 1997 I got fed up bought me the first gen Hemi Ram. Owned it 8 years and put a 135000 miles on it! It was never in the shop under warranty for NOTHING for the first 6 years not even a battery! Only thing I ever had do for it was brake pads front only when it was 7 years old. Gave me 12500 for it on trade in for another new 2011 Laramie crew cab! Had the 2011 until the 2014 Laramie Came out ,had to have the Air suspension! The 2011 was flawless for three years and 38000 miles!
Both Fords bought new both stranded me with less than 37000 on the first F-150 and Ford Refused to fix it just past warranty. The 2nd ford truck did the same only with 41000 miles on it! I was done with Ford!

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was comparing an xlt 302a 5.0 with my well equipped bighorn. Options were very very similar except ford didn't want to wheel and deal. Saved 7 grand going with the ram. I do wish my payload was higher 1400lbs vs 1840lb on that similar Ford.

Paid 37k on a 59k msrp.

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
When i bought my 17, I was between it and a similar F150... I really had use for the aluminum body Ford has. I got over 20k off of my Ram purchase, which was awesome as I was carrying negative equity over from my trade in. Ford couldn't come close to that kind of a discount, and the value for my dollar seemed extremely high in a ram vs any other brand....

40K KM's later and I still love the truck. The looks inside and out are second to none, the entire drivetrain is great to drive, it handles better than I could ask for and the HWY mileage is fantastic for a full sized truck. If the body of my 4th gen holds up well over 5-7 years of ownership, I will continue to purchase ram as this truck has been nothing short of great to me. These modern Hemi's are a blast to drive on the HWY.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have Zero brand loyalty and have owned them all. At this point I own a Ram because of the Cummins, price point, and mega cab. (talking HD trucks only)

That could change at anytime. If someone comes out with something that meets my needs and price point I have no problem moving on.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Random Access Memory.... ahh shi... you caught me my nerd identity noooooo. Ram means durability to me tbh, fords are always dying, chevys issues issues issues and GMCs are just overpriced Laramies lol

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have Zero brand loyalty and have owned them all. At this point I own a Ram because of the Cummins, price point, and mega cab. (talking HD trucks only)

That could change at anytime. If someone comes out with something that meets my needs and price point I have no problem moving on.

I guess that’s a good thing I spose but it’ll be a cold day in hell before I buy anything else. I’d buy a Tundra probably before I ever bought a Phord or Chibby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Juhax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Cummins!
I have owned 2 Chevrolet Chevy Vans before.1990 6,2 diesel and 1998 6,5 td. Both were ok. Cummins diesel was the reason why I had to buy an American vehicle again!

Last edited:

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Random Access Memory.... ahh shi... you caught me my nerd identity noooooo.

Indeed! (I'm a codemonkey myself, though in a world long ago, "RAM" stood for "Radar Absorbent Material." )

Ram means durability to me tbh, fords are always dying, chevys issues issues issues and GMCs are just overpriced Laramies lol

I had a Ford (F-250) before, and it did okay... but only because I rebuilt the (v8 460) motor from the block up. Massive gas hog, though - doubly so when towing.

When I did research at the beginning of this year for a truck, among other things I did was to reach out to family members...

- the Ford owners in my family (2) all ******* about the aluminum (and although probably rigged, that Chevy commercial where they dropped a toolbox into the Ford bed scared the crap out of me.) One of my brothers ******* about the turbos blowing out at the 20k mile mark on his Ecoboost motor (though I suspect one of my teenaged nephews likely beat the crap out of that motor...) and the other remarked that you can't get much for features on a Ford unless you're willing to lay down some beaucoup serious cheddar.

- The Chevy owners (2, including my old man) generally liked theirs, but one really hated the lack of 'oomph in his motor (he got the low-end 6-banger in his Silverado.) The other (my old man) had a Tahoe, and he's retired in Florida, so he couldn't offer much help in the "..how well does it hold up in the country?" question (my brothers still live in the Ozarks of NW Arkansas, where a decent 4x4 is kinda required once you get into the hills.)

I've driven a late-model Toyota before (lent to me by a close friend, and, umm, nope. It felt like there may as well not have been a cab on it, it was so noisy. Everything else, except the Ram, just felt too damned cheap to me, so...

I'm still supremely glad I made the purchase I did. I've had a brother and my old man seriously re-thinking what they want for their next vehicle - especially my father, who loves trucks, but got the Tahoe for comfort... after I let him drive the Ram a bit, the ride and handling was all that he could talk about. I suspect when it's time, he might end up making a change in what he drives...

For me, my truck means getting done what I need done in the towing and hauling department, while getting a very smooth ride and very decent mileage at the same time. It's held up to some real abuse - surprisingly, abuse that would have caused horrendously expensive repairs on any other truck (that reminds me - need to paint a little owl and a deer silhouette under my driver-side window...) It's come through like a champ in spite of my worst homesteading efforts. :)

PS: The days of racing and having a rolling chick-magnet strapped to my ass are long gone, but I will say that when my missus followed me home after buying the truck, she pretty much attacked me the moment I got in the house. ;)

David_fr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m French but as long as I can remember I’m a American way of life lover.

Drive American cars or trucks is for me live my dream.

Before my 2017 Ram Hemi, I had a few other US cars :
2007 Dodge Caliber 1.8
2006 Chrysler Voyager ( T&C with a 2.8l diesel engine )
2006 Chrysler 300C touring ( with the 3.0l v6 diesel mercedes engine )
2003 Chevy Tahoe LT autoride 5.3l

I also still have a 1974 Ford LTD Country Squire 400ci wagon.

French ID but American heart

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I’m French but as long as I can remember I’m a American way of life lover.

Drive American cars or trucks is for me live my dream.

Before my 2017 Ram Hemi, I had a few other US cars :
2007 Dodge Caliber 1.8
2006 Chrysler Voyager ( T&C with a 2.8l diesel engine )
2006 Chrysler 300C touring ( with the 3.0l v6 diesel mercedes engine )
2003 Chevy Tahoe LT autoride 5.3l

I also still have a 1974 Ford LTD Country Squire 400ci wagon.

French ID but American heart
Glad to hear that no matter what country you're in there will always be car enthusiasts who love imports.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk