"What DON'T you like about your 5th Gen RAM"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim G 2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2500 Tradesman is for towing my toys and I'm not all that interested in it being "plush".

1 - But they should eliminate the 5 inch screen - it doesn't even have Siriux XM and won't accommodate it.
2 - the liquid mounted cab mounts on the Gen 5 heavy duty are really noisy and they rattle
3 - the air conditioning is really weak.

I do love the truck and the 6.4 Hemi is a beast. Fun to drive.

Jaybear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What do you mean, not as wide? By like how much? Just simply curious.

I already answered that on another post in this thread.

Smaller as in how? I’m not familiar with Phord beds but do they have the same similar setup as Ram with the 5-7 and 6-4 beds?

Mine was a 6.5 style side and a crew cab truck

What do you mean, from the floor to the top of the rail?

Yes, the depth of the bed. Floor to top of rail. I forget the measurement but it was a little deeper on my 2010 ford

Hmm, I had heard they were relatively the same. Well, maybe that’s comparing same or similar model years. There’s probably a big difference in 10 years.

There were obviously differences between the 2 models in the 10 year span.

Your new Ram can’t help the fact you bought a nearly bottom the barrel Bighorn. Usually the average tire size is 20, with an option for 22’s.

Explain what is bottom of barrel? MSRP on my Big Horn was $51,875. It has nearly everything but the 20" tires and MANY at the dealer came with 18's.

Lol, so just because the wheels are a little smaller [due to your choice in trim level], it’s not quite as wide, it sits lower, the bed is not as deep and long so it’s less of a truck? Hmm.

Why the need for "LOL"?? This is all just my own opinion and personal preference. Yes my bed is smaller on my RAM, the body is a little narrower in width, I have smaller tires and truck is not as high as my Ford. I'm upgrading in the future as far as far as rim's and bigger tires and a 2 or 3.5 inch lift. I was as far as I can go for what I could afford at the moment on a Big Horn. When I had my Ford I ended up getting new struts and shocks that gave it a 2.5" lift. Again, upgrades that will change what (I dont like about my RAM)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
For the most part I like it,

few they FIAT can do better,
I have 2018 2500 trademan w little
Upgrade. It long bed ,crew cab , 4WD, 6.4 , gassed. Companies normally buy this truck. Not private parties .
Steel in bed an tall gate is too weak
Well not hold The weight, bigger ATV,

air conditioning and Heating is under
power ( need more BTU)

Back seat ~seat is too small.

Wheel hop. Lose driry ~Sand.

back~ side light need more light, people don’t notice blinkers,

okay now the good thing,
Almost 19 mpg Highway ,
10.5 mpg towing light camp trailer ( 4000lbs) tow well. Wined road an cross wind have little affect on towing
Good power, it’s quiet and comfortable,

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
the ones on my laramie are heated
My 2012 Bighorn has heated mirrors and cd player-infact it has most options except heated seats and steering wheel which would be nice in Canada.

OP
OP
T

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
But for whatever it’s worth, at least they’ve improved the quality of it because even with the Carven progressive exhaust I have on my pickup, having that MDS on with it doesn’t screw with my exhaust note near as bad as it did on my old ten-year old truck that I used to have. The MDS made my exhaust on that old truck just downright unbearable which is why I resorted to buying a tuner just specifically for that to disable the MDS. At least on my new truck, it doesn’t mess up the sound of it enough to where I don’t even really notice it half the time.

I hadn't considered that RAM had changed how MDS worked. I had a Magnaflow 18 on my '15 and MDS was downright obnoxious on it. MDS on my '20 with the Borla Type S is bearable. The worst part is just the change - the note as well as you can feel it.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I already answered that on another post in this thread.
As I said, I was just merely curious. No biggie.

Mine was a 6.5 style side and a crew cab truck
So we’re taking an inch difference between Ram’s “long bed” and Phord’s “long-bed”.... or wait a minute, are you complaining about the 5-7 bed you probably have when you had the longer bed with the Phord?? That’s not really fair, is it?

Explain what is bottom of barrel? MSRP on my Big Horn was $51,875. It has nearly everything but the 20" tires and MANY at the dealer came with 18's.

Cost doesn’t matter. I didn’t really mean that as derogatory, I just simply meant that comparing a Bighorn to a Lariat is pretty much at opposite ends of the trim level.

Just because they’ve upped what is considered now as standard equipment, the lower trim models- like the Bighorns- probably won’t come with the bigger 20-inch wheels, which you were complaining about not having just because your upper trim model Lariat did.

Why the need for "LOL"?? This is all just my own opinion and personal preference. Yes my bed is smaller on my RAM, the body is a little narrower in width, I have smaller tires and truck is not as high as my Ford. I'm upgrading in the future as far as far as rim's and bigger tires and a 2 or 3.5 inch lift. I was as far as I can go for what I could afford at the moment on a Big Horn. When I had my Ford I ended up getting new struts and shocks that gave it a 2.5" lift. Again, upgrades that will change what (I dont like about my RAM)
I could care less about your personal preference, that’s not what I was LOL’ing about. It was how you said you felt like it was less of a truck just because of an inch here and an inch there.

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trim level aside a lot more 4th gens had 20s. I even had them on my Express which is basically a tradesman. They've made it more difficult for 4x4 Big horns to get 20s. You need some additional package like sport, north, black or 4x4. For some reason 4x2 can just add them. I actually wanted the chrome bumpers so my plan was to find a set of Laramie take offs, but I just ended up with a Laramie. I couldn't find a Big Horn spec'd the way I wanted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Carlos48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New here , first post. I love my 2016 Outdoosman with 60k on the odometer, bought it new., replaced a 2013. No complaints except wish they could get rid of the steering pull to the left. Has been on alignment rack 6 times at two different places and they all tell me it is aligned correctly. Three different sets of tires. Don't know what to try. Any help appreciated.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New here , first post. I love my 2016 Outdoosman with 60k on the odometer, bought it new., replaced a 2013. No complaints except wish they could get rid of the steering pull to the left. Has been on alignment rack 6 times at two different places and they all tell me it is aligned correctly. Three different sets of tires. Don't know what to try. Any help appreciated.

I only took my old truck to the dealer for an alignment once to fix a small pull and a little bit crooked steering wheel and they did something to it to where it started wearing out both outside shoulders on my front tires. Took it to a Mineke or Midas, one of the two and for one, they were about just under half the price and did a much better job so my advice is to take it to an actual alignment shop.

Tommy lee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I should have bought a trademan instead of throwing in $74k for Loaded Laramie Cummins.

by the way, I don’t like the seat, it is too stiff and hard compared to sedan and SUVs.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I should have bought a trademan instead of throwing in $74k for Loaded Laramie Cummins.

by the way, I don’t like the seat, it is too stiff and hard compared to sedan and SUVs.

If you have the leather seats I know just what you mean. 6-8 hours on those hard assed seats is a killer.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I got the same seats y’all *******’ about in my Limited but once I finally got all the adjustment just right, I can go pretty long trips with mine.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just found another shortcoming. Turns out I have the Uconnect 4, not 4C. As far as I can tell the only way you can get the 4C is as a 4C NAV, and I wasn't paying an extra $800 for a nav system that I have to pay a couple hundred dollars a year to keep updated.

On my '15 you could use the Uconnect app to remotely lock/unlock the doors, start it, etc. Not possible on this truck.

OTOH, CarPlay is a big plus. Too bad it doesn't work via BT.

When I run my Bluetooth and (Apple) Carplay, I have the Option to do with Bluetooth. Since I have a lower end Bighorn, I just use the Lightning cord and run CarApplePlay thru that cord. BUT if I wanted, I could do Bluetooth.

UNDER SEAT REAR: U can get a Husky bin now for the MY 19 for underseat storage on the MY 19 CC trucks....

Carlos48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I only took my old truck to the dealer for an alignment once to fix a small pull and a little bit crooked steering wheel and they did something to it to where it started wearing out both outside shoulders on my front tires. Took it to a Mineke or Midas, one of the two and for one, they were about just under half the price and did a much better job so my advice is to take it to an actual alignment shop.

Thanks for the reply. yes it has been 3 times to the dealer and 3 times to the alignment shop. The funny thing is that tire wear is perfect, so I am at a loss.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque

Funny you state this...that is the reason I dropped by 2018 Laramie Longhorn for my 2019 Lone Star/Big Horn...seats in the upper trim levels are hard as hell and the leather wears out on the edges far too fast for the cost. One trip to Michigan in September and traded it in October...our arses couldn't take a second trip like that in those Conestoga wagon seats!

OP
OP
T

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
Trim level aside a lot more 4th gens had 20s. I even had them on my Express which is basically a tradesman.

Twenties, schmenties. I'd rather 18s myself. I prefer a softer ride and the look of more rubber. Then again, I'm from the days where (nearly) every 1/2 ton had 15s. Didn't matter whether you had 33s, 37s or even 44s.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny you state this...that is the reason I dropped by 2018 Laramie Longhorn for my 2019 Lone Star/Big Horn...seats in the upper trim levels are hard as hell and the leather wears out on the edges far too fast for the cost. One trip to Michigan in September and traded it in October...our arses couldn't take a second trip like that in those Conestoga wagon seats!

I don’t see how the leather seats can be harder than the cloth ones when the should use the same padding underneath.

But with any leather, you gotta keep it clean and keep it conditioned. My 18 Limited’s leather is showing a little wear on the outside edge on the driver seat but for being almost two years old, they’re holding up quite well. Course, I have a pretty good regimen of wiping them down, too.

Another thing is it helps having running boards on your truck as well. I’ve had to train myself to raise up step out rather than pivot myself outwards while still seated. That’s what wears ‘em out quicker.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Twenties, schmenties. I'd rather 18s myself. I prefer a softer ride and the look of more rubber. Then again, I'm from the days where (nearly) every 1/2 ton had 15s. Didn't matter whether you had 33s, 37s or even 44s.

I don’t really see how 18’s provide any smoother ride than the 20’s. Now, those new 22’s- I could see a little bit of ride-sacrifice with those but even though I do think the 18’s look a little better, I feel a lot better stability from the 20’s, at least over the 16’s that was on my 98 halfton.