"What DON'T you like about your 5th Gen RAM"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I am deciding between buying a F150 and Dodge Ram at this point. Why did you go with the RAM? Consumer reports gives 1/5 for reliability on the F150, did you have reliability issues?
Well I just went from a 2011 F150 supercab 1/2 ton heavy eco. I did test the newest F150s. The new eco and 10 spd is quite good. The leather and seats are better for me in the RAM. The Ram is clearly quieter but both are quiet. The ride is better with the RAM and the front end (wheels) don't feel through the steering wheel that they shake going over small bumps....just tighter, better. The new Ram headlights, LED, are just exceptional. The Uconnect and 12 inch screen work smoother and faster. In general I hardly have to even drive this RAM. Besides that after 8 years I wanted to look at a different dash and Ford had not changed.

jackham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Two things.
#1 Too high.
#2 The location of the tow switch, Chevy puts it on the end of the gear shift loved it.
Two things. 1. Get the power steps.
2. Hated that location on my Ford as I kept inadvertently hitting it.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Also, when I remote start and the outside temp is below 40, it automagicly preheats the steering wheel and the drivers seat....since my wife rides to work with me, I wish it would do the passenger seat as well. View attachment 187932

I agree - doesn't make sense that a vehicle equipped for a minimum of 5 passengers that it wouldn't (at least offer the option of) turn on both front seats. My wife's Explorer turns on both front seats (heating or cooling A/R) on remote start, BUT turns them off as soon as you engage "go" mode. She also has heated rear (really, mid) pax seats but they don't turn on via remote start.

Why do these mfrs limit us so? Reminds me of the MS days of 25-30 years ago which made Linux a quasi-accepted option...

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I hate the cap less fuel filler necks Feels cheap...

Haven't had to fill mine yet... :)

...also i have a love hate on the mds, hate it on city roads and love it on the highway. Yes I know I can disable it. I Also hate when you do a mid muffler delete that the rear resonators sound like an exhaust leak. So I plugged the holes on the rear resonators welded them shut and drilled two small hole on the rear button of them instead.

I never owned my truck with the stock system - had the dealer put on a Borla Type S before I picked it up. MDS is still a bit annoying, but not nearly as bad as it was on my '15 with a Mufflex Magnaflow 18. Hoping that when I put my Whipple on HP Tuners can turn off the MDS completely.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
We have the Siri hand free but the Android version that works fine on gm isn't available. I dislike having to plug in my phone Everytime, would rather just keep it in my pocket unless it's a longer trip. It's a key feature on my silvy that I loved.

I'm not that aware of all this tech that's out there, even though all my friends think I'm a "techy" and are always asking me for advice...

Anyways, I was interested to check out CarPlay. Thought it was pretty cool. Manual said you had to plug the phone in unlocked the first time to make it work. Was very impressed what you can do with it. Then found that you have to ALWAYS plug it in to get CarPlay. Just doesn't have to be unlocked after the first time... What? Why can't it do it over BT?? Well, still better than my "old" '15.

I'd also prefer a hi lo setting for the heated steering wheel. It's rediculously hot.

I wouldn't mind an extra setting either. Although (and I haven't bothered to check, so I may be wrong) it DOES seem to lower after some period of time. This both on my '15 as well as my '20.

...the 4wd system with auto 4 (I know a lot will hate that but it's great for us on road only people)...

The 4WD system WORKS pretty well, but on both my '15 and '20 it's really not very refined.

Context - we have a paved driveway with a very steep intro (I haven't measured it, but have measured mowed parts of our property so I would say pretty confidently that it's well over 40%).

In 4W-Auto, I always start spinning before it locks up. Very jerky, on/off. Effective, just not "comfortable".

I hate to put it in 4W-Lock before I pull of the (usually clear, maybe wet) paved road because of F/R tension.

Compare - my wife's '15 Explorer with AWD. 4WD works seemlessly. OK, it may not be as robust in a true OffRoad situation (not saying it ISN'T) but it works the way you'd want it to - strong, smooth and sure.

Lastly, tonight I put it in 4W-Lock tonight because I couldn't make it in 2WD. Worked fine until I was backing into the garage. I was almost in my spot and it felt like I was hitting something even though the mirrors and B/U camera showed nothing in the way. Put in 2WD, felt a release and was able to finish parking. Granted - I have a pretty intricate parking location in my garage, but I have never seen/felt that effect before.

Anthony Kalos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Wish I had the factory 20" wheels but mine came with 18's. The one I was going to get did but they found another truck in the lot that had the bed utility group. As I wanted a spray in liner. Plus side steps i needed for my 4 and 6 yr old. The one i was originally settling on didnt have those 2 things I needed. Nor the fact did any of their inventory have bed liners except 1 I saw with a drop in liner. My bed depth was a 22.4 on the Lariat F150 with a 6.5ft bed. Were you comparing to the right year? When I googled for the exterior body width it did say 78.9 but that just cant be right. Many coworkers have Dode rams and when we all park side by side when I had my Lariat. You can absolutely see my truck body was much wider. Plus when I'm in it it feels not as big. I can also reach the middle windshield easily on the ram and my f150 I couldn't. So that is baffling right now with the number I googled to find on that. My truck does sit lower to the ground. Obviously I'm guessing because it has 18" wheels and not 20's?. When im sitting at a light next to a suv we are sitting at same level basically whereas in my f150 i was much higher and looked down into an SUV. I did have new struts put on my F150 as 1 was cracked, that gave it another 2" lift too however.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Two things. 1. Get the power steps.

I'm not the one that made the post you were answering, but.

I wish I could. The dealer spent all day trying to install the ones they got from Mopar for a 2020 and couldn't get them to work without an external power source. FCA eventually told them they are not compatible with the 20s (even though they are a factory available option IF you get the e-torque motor). And AMP does not have them for the 20s (yet?) either. Wish I could get some answers. I'd put static ones on if I knew it was going to be 6 months or some hard number, but I'd hate to do that and have the power ones out the day after I installed the static ones...

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
1. Heated rear seats are an additional option in a Laramie???? Used to be standard
2. 12" Screen to damn buggy. Plugged in or BT drops calls.
3. I wish the blid spot mirror was on the bottom corner not the top corner.

Other than that a great truck. Love that Pano sunroof. Bought 10-23 and have 3300 miles.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
The rear seatbelts are a pain to use because the buckle is buried too far into the seat. I just ordered an extension because I'm tire of buckling my mother in law in because she can't find and connect the belt to the dumb buckle. It needs to be retractable

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TestPilot57 said:
I wouldn't mind an extra setting either. Although (and I haven't bothered to check, so I may be wrong) it DOES seem to lower after some period of time. This both on my '15 as well as my '20.

That's just your hands getting used to the scorching:flamingdevil: :gathering:

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1. Heated rear seats are an additional option in a Laramie???? Used to be standard

It does seem like the new gen laramie comes with less as standard from what I saw when I was looking at them. Was disappointed to see that, I felt in the 4th gen lineup the laramie was the best value if you wanted some of the creature comforts.

The rear seatbelts are a pain to use because the buckle is buried too far into the seat. I just ordered an extension because I'm tire of buckling my mother in law in because she can't find and connect the belt to the dumb buckle. It needs to be retractable

Was hoping they would have addressed that, they are pretty difficult to get to in the 4th gens as well. Kind of takes away from having such a nice back seat area.

gtrfred1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wish there was an alternative to the large shark fin antenna on top. I would want to add a leveling kit but I wont be able to do it unless I can figure something to replace the fin.

Ramcharger84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't like how easily the $600 or so plastic chrome grill gets dinged up from highway driving.

I thought all Dodge/Ram trucks had rear under seat storage. Even my 2000 Dakota has it.

Also thought it was pretty cheap that the passenger seat isn't power on a $50k truck.

...and the no CD player thing.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've started disliking my keyless go. If I sleep in my truck as I do sometimes it's a pain to try and lock the doors and with the key I could start the truck easy to heat up the cab for a bit on a cold night. Now I have to press unlock on the fob, because it disables the key if you lock it inside. Then crawl into the front seat to press the brake to start it, which isn't neccessary on the keyed trucks. Then manually lock the door again and repeat.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just found another shortcoming. Turns out I have the Uconnect 4, not 4C. As far as I can tell the only way you can get the 4C is as a 4C NAV, and I wasn't paying an extra $800 for a nav system that I have to pay a couple hundred dollars a year to keep updated.
What all’s the difference between the 4 and the 4C? I bought a 4th-gen Limited so mine came with the Nav. I still don’t use it. Lol.

On my '15 you could use the Uconnect app to remotely lock/unlock the doors, start it, etc. Not possible on this truck.
They did away with the Uconnect app on those new ones? Or is it the 4C Uconnect you need to have it?

OTOH, CarPlay is a big plus. Too bad it doesn't work via BT.
I think that’s an Apple thing, not a Ram/Uconnect thing.

Just like how all this time whenever I was just connected to my radio via Bluetooth, my radio screen never would show album covers when I was playing my iTunes but ever since iOS 13, it does now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just traded in my 2010 F150 Lariat and leased a 2019 big horn crew cab What I dont like compared to the F150 that I'll have to get used to.
*Truck not as wide as my f150 I had
What do you mean, not as wide? By like how much? Just simply curious.

*smaller bed
Smaller as in how? I’m not familiar with Phord beds but do they have the same similar setup as Ram with the 5-7 and 6-4 beds?

*bed not as deep
What do you mean, from the floor to the top of the rail?
*inside not as big as the f150
Hmm, I had heard they were relatively the same. Well, maybe that’s comparing same or similar model years. There’s probably a big difference in 10 years.
*smaller wheels 18" and not the 20's I had.
Your new Ram can’t help the fact you bought a nearly bottom the barrel Bighorn. Usually the average tire size is 20, with an option for 22’s.
*ram sits lower than my f150.
Again, by like how much?

It's a very beautiful truck but feels less of a truck compared to what I had.

Lol, so just because the wheels are a little smaller [due to your choice in trim level], it’s not quite as wide, it sits lower, the bed is not as deep and long so it’s less of a truck? Hmm.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont like the coil rear springs, wish it had leaf springs.
Guess I can’t add to this because my one and only 4th Gen has air ride. lol.

Also not a fan of the projector headlights.

How come? Even with the Silverstar ZxE’s I first put in, I was pretty pleased with mine. The HID’s I have I there now are bodacious.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would like to see some sort of warning that I’ve left my opening rear window open when leaving the truck. Know I’m gonna leave it open someday and a monsoon will hit.

I’m surprised they don’t have that since it seems like more and more people are just getting more and more complacent but just remember to roll your windows up when you park. In all almost 30 years of driving, I think I’ve maybe left a window rolled down once. Maybe twice.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that on a 5th Gen? 4th Gen were terrible, but everything I've heard about the 5th Gen (which are LED) is that they are fantastic. My LED reflectors rate about an 8/10.

Judging by his avatar pic, I rhink he’s talking about a 4th gen. My headlights- notice how I didn’t say projectors- sucked on my 18 but once I stuffed HID’s in there, they’re pretty badass.