"What DON'T you like about your 5th Gen RAM"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I paid for power folding mirrors because that option is on my sticker, as part of a group with a price. There is no corresponding price delete for removing that option. There is an additional charge for tow mirrors. Since the mirrors do not fold, there should be a removal for the cost of the power folding mirror component of the level 2 option package.
I have a 1500.

To be fair, how do you know the tow mirror option price does not include a credit for the folding mirrors?

It does suck that they do not fold and they also remove the 360 camera if I remember correctly.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To be fair, how do you know the tow mirror option price does not include a credit for the folding mirrors?
Good question. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, when I bought my new truck, I could’ve sworn that the window sticker said over on that right side something about tow hooks as an option but my truck did not come with the front tow hooks.

It does suck that they do not fold and they also remove the 360 camera if I remember correctly.
Yeah, it does. I would think that for the same reason why you would need power-folding tow mirrors on the heavy duty’s would carryover to why you would need them on the half-tons as well. I had those tow mirrors on my old 08 ram and they stuck out way further than the mirrors on my new truck do and I always had to fold the driver-side one in almost every time when I had to go to the drive-through ATM or through a fast food drive-through because if I didn’t, I’d be adding to the scratches from the previous owners.

But I wonder if the heavy duty’s have that 360° camera as well even though they’ve got the power folding tow mirrors, or if that’s just a thing that you can’t have at all with anything that has tow mirrors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
Going along the ventilated seats theme...

Today I had the heated seats/steering wheel activated upon Start this morning.

And cooled seats activated upon Start this evening.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I’ve been there once or twice.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi

I had my truck sitting out in the driveway yesterday so I could get my wheelbarrow out. When I put it back in the ventilated seat came on for the first time in about 7 months.

I haven't been happy with Michigan weather. Also can't get used to the swings in the amount of daylight during the year.

OP
OP
T

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
OK just another nit-pick.

When you hook up a trailer it automatically turns off the Rear Park-Sense. Makes sense...

However, when you disconnect the trailer it doesn't change back. Narrowly averted disaster. But now I know...

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good question. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, when I bought my new truck, I could’ve sworn that the window sticker said over on that right side something about tow hooks as an option but my truck did not come with the front tow hooks.

Yeah, it does. I would think that for the same reason why you would need power-folding tow mirrors on the heavy duty’s would carryover to why you would need them on the half-tons as well. I had those tow mirrors on my old 08 ram and they stuck out way further than the mirrors on my new truck do and I always had to fold the driver-side one in almost every time when I had to go to the drive-through ATM or through a fast food drive-through because if I didn’t, I’d be adding to the scratches from the previous owners.

But I wonder if the heavy duty’s have that 360° camera as well even though they’ve got the power folding tow mirrors, or if that’s just a thing that you can’t have at all with anything that has tow mirrors.

I have power folding tow mirrors and the 360 degree camera on my 3500.

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No worries. I will say that even with the cloth inserts in the Rebel seats, they still hold the heat when it's hot outside. On hot days the seats were just too warm for my comfort.

It's not completely obvious which sections of my seats are leather and which parts are vinyl or some other material. But it appears the center section is perforated leather (the section that is cooled).
The middle of the seat and the seat-back sections (where your butt and back make contact) are leather. The outer sides and backs are vinyl. At least that’s how they are in an ‘18 Laramie. I would imagine it’s the same in 5th Gens.

JUICEBOX

I don't read the script. The script reads me.
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That I only get to drive it on the weekends. This beast has it all. 20200422_190251.jpg

tm757

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have only had my 2020 1500 Big Horn 4x4 crew cab for a month or so. I am loving it. But I have noticed a few things.

1. I can't get Waze full screen on the 12" infotainment center. Anyone make this happen???

2. I can't get the 12" screen to automatically dim. I have tried the settings, but it doesn't work correctly.

3. The A/C is not very powerful. I will pay for that in August in Virginia.

4. The key fob is huge.

5. I originally wanted a Tradesman to save some money. But power seats are not an option that I saw, nor is any height adjustment. I am 6'5" tall and I was rubbing the top and looking over the mirror. I would have bought other than that. Didn't happen.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't get the 12" screen to automatically dim. I have tried the settings, but it doesn't work correctly.
Do you have that little dimmer knob that’s over there either below or beside your headlight switch turned to the left or down before the first spot where there’s resistance in turning the knob? If the next click to the right turns on your cab lights then that position it was on was actually your dash light dimmer switch override that automatically dims the dash lights when you turn your headlights on.

If that is set correctly, I don’t know what more to do because that’s outside my expertise.

The A/C is not very powerful. I will pay for that in August in Virginia.
What do you mean it’s not that powerful? Does it at least blow cold enough? Do you at least have it set to max AC when you say is not powerful enough?

The key fob is huge.
Small pockets?

I originally wanted a Tradesman to save some money. But power seats are not an option that I saw, nor is any height adjustment. I am 6'5" tall and I was rubbing the top and looking over the mirror. I would have bought other than that. Didn't happen.

If you would’ve ordered your truck, I bet you could’ve ordered that tradesmen with power seats but if you bought your truck off the lot, and if the tradesmen you saw was on the lot, a tradesman generally isn’t gonna come with power seats because, it’s a tradesman. Most people who buy tradesmen’s don’t need that stuff and they’re looking to save a few bucks which is why they come ill-equipped, or they buy it to save a buck and add all the special stuff to it after for a cheaper cost.

Bottom line, the tradesmen is at the low-end of the totem pole so it’s not normally gonna come with amenities like power seats and electric windows, electric door locks, stuff like that unless it’s special ordered.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3

Can't argue with that.

I saw lots of people complaining about the Gen4 cooling but mine (2015) was fine.

Got my '20 in late November so the heat wave of the last few days has been the first real test. It cools me comfortably.

BUT, even at a "moderate" heat wave of 95° it's OK at MAX. And I don't mean for just 5 minutes, but mostly all the way home* over 20 minutes with a 10 minute remote start. Perfectly "fine" for Vermont, but I don't think I would be satisfied in the south/ southwest.

*there are no numbers on the display - but I would judge that the fan ran from between 8-10 during the last 3 rides home at the end of the day given a 5-10 minute remote-start cool down period. Cooled seats also activated.

tm757

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have that little dimmer knob that’s over there either below or beside your headlight switch turned to the left or down before the first spot where there’s resistance in turning the knob? If the next click to the right turns on your cab lights then that position it was on was actually your dash light dimmer switch override that automatically dims the dash lights when you turn your headlights on.

I have used the dimmer, but with the settings this should not be necessary. That 12" screen is really bright. Does everyone have this issue?

If you would’ve ordered your truck, I bet you could’ve ordered that tradesmen with power seats but if you bought your truck off the lot, and if the tradesmen you saw was on the lot, a tradesman generally isn’t gonna come with power seats because, it’s a tradesman. Most people who buy tradesmen’s don’t need that stuff and they’re looking to save a few bucks which is why they come ill-equipped, or they buy it to save a buck and add all the special stuff to it after for a cheaper cost.

Bottom line, the tradesmen is at the low-end of the totem pole so it’s not normally gonna come with amenities like power seats and electric windows, electric door locks, stuff like that unless it’s special ordered.

I did purchase from the lot. This is my first Ram and I didn't know much about them. After I purchased, I looked online. I didn't see power seats available for the Tradesman. You would think it is at least an option.

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have only had my 2020 1500 Big Horn 4x4 crew cab for a month or so. I am loving it. But I have noticed a few things.

1. I can't get Waze full screen on the 12" infotainment center. Anyone make this happen???

2. I can't get the 12" screen to automatically dim. I have tried the settings, but it doesn't work correctly.

4. The key fob is huge.

5. I originally wanted a Tradesman to save some money. But power seats are not an option that I saw, nor is any height adjustment. I am 6'5" tall and I was rubbing the top and looking over the mirror. I would have bought other than that. Didn't happen.

1. Not possible. Is a limitation of Apple Carplay/Android Auto with the system. Some aftermarket items can do things to the system but not sure it can do that.

2. Yep...does not work well. There is a mechanical turn knob over by the light knob you can manually adjust it at night so it is not so in your face bright.

3. Known issue on gen5 Rams. Your option is to either keep hassling the dealer over it or put in a hose valve to turn off the hot during warm weather and turn it back on during cold. Many posts regarding this on forums (other forums as well).

4. Yup. Big truck big fob. :)

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have used the dimmer, but with the settings this should not be necessary. That 12" screen is really bright. Does everyone have this issue?
When exactly is your screen too bright? Is it all the time, just during the day, at night, what?

And which dimmer are you using? Are you just using the one within the Uconnect settings on the screen or did you actually check the dial over there by your headlight switch? Because if that dial by the headlight switch is set to that last setting right before the very next sitting that turns on all your interior lights, I think that’s going to override whatever settings you do in your Uconnect settings.

I did purchase from the lot. This is my first Ram and I didn't know much about them. After I purchased, I looked online. I didn't see power seats available for the Tradesman. You would think it is at least an option.

It could be an option.... yes, but when you start adding stuff ala carte, you’re going to start adding a bunch more cost when you can just order a higher trim package that comes with the stuff you’re wanting to add. That’s probably why the Tradesmen doesn’t even listed as an option. It’s meant to be the lowest priced trim and not only that, if you want to start adding stuff like power seats ram want you to go up a few trim models where you can add that stuff.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. Not possible. Is a limitation of Apple Carplay/Android Auto with the system. Some aftermarket items can do things to the system but not sure it can do that.
I was wondering what he was actually talking about on that. I know that a lot of things on that big 12 inch screen is like a split screen but I wasn’t sure if he was expecting to be able to put Waze on that full big screen or what he was trying to do.

3. Known issue on gen5 Rams. Your option is to either keep hassling the dealer over it or put in a hose valve to turn off the hot during warm weather and turn it back on during cold. Many posts regarding this on forums (other forums as well).
What exactly is the issue? When you start talking about putting a shut off valve on the coolant line that goes to the heater core, you’re starting to talk about the reason why these older big semi-trucks have the valves to turn that on and off because we have the same problem with some of our trucks that the ACs don’t get cold enough unless you shut the hot water off to the heater core which is primarily because of a blend door problem not isolating the heat from the cold where the airbox is in your dash…

4. Yup. Big truck big fob. :)
I’m telling you, I think people sometimes take the title of this thread just way too far… LOL. I realize we’re all entitled to our opinions and we’re all entitled to how we feel about certain things, what we like what we don’t like but dang, I just can’t wrap my mind around the key fob being too big… LOL.