What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
So far on my '19, the only thing I have found that I don't like is the low level of light from the fog lights. They seem to function more as markers rather than throwing some light on the roadway "under" the fog and to the sides of the road. All the previous 1500s I've had would also put out enough light from the fog lights that my wife could see to walk 20' to our door and unlock it when it was pitch black out. The fogs on the '19 are completely inadequate for that and I have to use the low beams. So the fog lights get a failing grade for their primary use, that of being fog lights. They do provide some helpful light on turns, though, at low speed in parking lots, mostly.

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far on my '19, the only thing I have found that I don't like is the low level of light from the fog lights.
I have a '16 Sport and I am thinking of updating to a higher wattage fog light in the future. Not an LED setup, but just a higher watt fog light to throw off more light.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So far on my '19, the only thing I have found that I don't like is the low level of light from the fog lights. They seem to function more as markers rather than throwing some light on the roadway "under" the fog and to the sides of the road. All the previous 1500s I've had would also put out enough light from the fog lights that my wife could see to walk 20' to our door and unlock it when it was pitch black out. The fogs on the '19 are completely inadequate for that and I have to use the low beams. So the fog lights get a failing grade for their primary use, that of being fog lights. They do provide some helpful light on turns, though, at low speed in parking lots, mostly.
19 Classic or 5th Gen?
I have a '16 Sport and I am thinking of updating to a higher wattage fog light in the future. Not an LED setup, but just a higher watt fog light to throw off more light.
Use these, good cheap upgrade and they put out a lot of non-blinding light to the sides...they go on sale this time of year too.

HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit- H11(H8, H9), 2019 New Gen of HIKARI, Adjustable Beam, 9600lm 6K Cool White https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07GKPR452/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_NlqaEbPPN0MY2

I know you said not LED, but it's a better option especially for fog lights.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Actually, your fogs are supposed to be like that. They’re not driving lights. You want light that will reach out here where your highbeams will, get you a grille-guard of some sort and put you some boba-fide driving lights on there. Those fog lights are just to fill in between the front of the truck and where the headlights start. And you should be using your lowbeams in the fog.

But I will add, my LED fog light upgrades made quite the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Actually, your fogs are supposed to be like that. They’re not driving lights. You want light that will reach out here where your highbeams will, get you a grille-guard of some sort and put you some boba-fide driving lights on there. Those fog lights are just to fill in between the front of the truck and where the headlights start. And you should be using your lowbeams in the fog.

But I will add, my LED fog light upgrades made quite the difference.

That's a distortion. Fog lights are intended to put light under the low beams and hence, under the fog. When using fog lights in the fog (being the proper application) it is necessary not to out-drive your lights, so very slow speed is intended. Fog lights are not intended to be used instead of low beams, but in concert with them. Please notice that I stated that the fog lights are inadequate for my wife to walk 20 feet and unlock our front door.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please notice that I stated that the fog lights are inadequate for my wife to walk 20 feet and unlock our front door.

Sorry to pop your bubble but helping anybody walk to the door is not what the fog lights were made for. That’s like getting upset because the mirror puddle lights don’t shine in the bed.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Sorry to pop your bubble but helping anybody walk to the door is not what the fog lights were made for. That’s like getting upset because the mirror puddle lights don’t shine in the bed.

The twenty feet demonstrates the very short distance and not having enough light to put a key into a lock demonstrates just how little light is available. Your posts are not typical of you.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The twenty feet demonstrates the very short distance and not having enough light to put a key into a lock demonstrates just how little light is available. Your posts are not typical of you.

Well, take it or leave it for whatever it’s worth but you’re expecting something to do other than what it was designed for. Sorry if you don’t like what I had to say. Hell, if lighting is an issue, put up a motion detector light. Or get some high-powered KC lights that a 747 jet liner uses to light up a runway. Just trying to help out.

JC5Cents

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealer

They have had the truck for a full month and have just now come to the conclusion that it is the 3rd brake light is what is leaking. At first they thought it was the rear window. I had it all of 2 weeks before that.

2017 w/23k. Was a prior lease. I started to look really closely and am seeing a significant amount of rust on the seat frame. Of course, to the dealer that is just normal.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
5th - Rebel
Ah...sorry I have no experience or recommendations for those.

The 4th Gen Factory vertical fog lights have been the best OEM fogs I've ever used (with the proper bulb upgrade).

Last edited:
OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
19 Classic or 5th Gen?Use these, good cheap upgrade and they put out a lot of non-blinding light to the sides...they go on sale this time of year too.
HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit- H11(H8, H9), 2019 New Gen of HIKARI, Adjustable Beam, 9600lm 6K Cool White https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07GKPR452/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_NlqaEbPPN0MY2
I know you said not LED, but it's a better option especially for fog lights.
Thanks man, but I'm looking for just a direct replacement brighter bulb. Not looking to buy immediately as my fogs are still shining, but sometime in the near future. Maybe early quarter next year sometime?
I appreciate it brother.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks man, but I'm looking for just a direct replacement brighter bulb. Not looking to buy immediately as my fogs are still shining, but sometime in the near future. Maybe early quarter next year sometime?
I appreciate it brother.
They are a direct replacement if you are worried about adapters and such, it's plug and play.

If you are wanting a halogen replacement, I've had good luck with Philips Crystal Vision Ultras...a 9006 bulb fits the fogs and should be brighter than the OEM 9145s.

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are a direct replacement if you are worried about adapters and such, it's plug and play.
If you are wanting a halogen replacement, I've had good luck with Philips Crystal Vision Ultras...a 9006 bulb fits the fogs and should be brighter than the OEM 9145s.
Awesome bro.
I appreciate the info. I may look into the Philips Crystal Vision Ultras in the future sometime. :favorites13:

Potatomafia

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I bought a 2015 1500 Express Hemi 8 speed about a month and a half ago with only 29k miles. I have just over 32k miles so far and I have a few things I don't like. First, is how rough the trans shifts through 1st-2nd-3rd. It feels like its slipping under some conditions (like when the trans is cold) and shifts weird sometimes. 4th-8th is butter smooth though. Second, is how slow the throttle response is when MDS is active and I need a downshift or two. For example, if I'm cruising on the highway and I need to squirt out to get past a car, the truck seems to not want to disable MDS before downshifting. Or it will downshift but not disable MDS. Its never consistent and it makes it difficult to predict passing timing. I'm planning on getting a tuner soon mainly to disable MDS.

The trans weirdness doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence considering the horror stories of transmission failures. I also have the trans/driveshaft "bump" when coming to a stop. Its bad sometimes and it feels like the truck just got rear ended. I'm hoping it just needs the splines greased or at most a new driveshaft.

Also, the lifter/camshaft failures worry me too. You could own the truck for 150k miles and never have it happen or it could happen at 35k miles. I do not like how its a crapshoot if it happens or not.

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a 2015 1500 Express Hemi 8 speed about a month and a half ago with only 29k miles. I have just over 32k miles so far and I have a few things I don't like. First, is how rough the trans shifts through 1st-2nd-3rd. It feels like its slipping under some conditions (like when the trans is cold) and shifts weird sometimes. 4th-8th is butter smooth though. Second, is how slow the throttle response is when MDS is active and I need a downshift or two. For example, if I'm cruising on the highway and I need to squirt out to get past a car, the truck seems to not want to disable MDS before downshifting. Or it will downshift but not disable MDS. Its never consistent and it makes it difficult to predict passing timing. I'm planning on getting a tuner soon mainly to disable MDS.

The trans weirdness doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence considering the horror stories of transmission failures. I also have the trans/driveshaft "bump" when coming to a stop. Its bad sometimes and it feels like the truck just got rear ended. I'm hoping it just needs the splines greased or at most a new driveshaft.

Also, the lifter/camshaft failures worry me too. You could own the truck for 150k miles and never have it happen or it could happen at 35k miles. I do not like how its a crapshoot if it happens or not.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/tsb-for-2015-8-speed-transmissions.88716/#post-1341775

https://pedalcommander.com/