What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I bought a 2015 1500 Express Hemi 8 speed about a month and a half ago with only 29k miles. I have just over 32k miles so far and I have a few things I don't like. First, is how rough the trans shifts through 1st-2nd-3rd. It feels like its slipping under some conditions (like when the trans is cold) and shifts weird sometimes. 4th-8th is butter smooth though. Second, is how slow the throttle response is when MDS is active and I need a downshift or two. For example, if I'm cruising on the highway and I need to squirt out to get past a car, the truck seems to not want to disable MDS before downshifting. Or it will downshift but not disable MDS. Its never consistent and it makes it difficult to predict passing timing. I'm planning on getting a tuner soon mainly to disable MDS.

The trans weirdness doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence considering the horror stories of transmission failures. I also have the trans/driveshaft "bump" when coming to a stop. Its bad sometimes and it feels like the truck just got rear ended. I'm hoping it just needs the splines greased or at most a new driveshaft.

Also, the lifter/camshaft failures worry me too. You could own the truck for 150k miles and never have it happen or it could happen at 35k miles. I do not like how its a crapshoot if it happens or not.
All of the transmission issues you mention might be addressed by TCM flashes from a dealer. All of my transmission complaints were resolved by a "quick relearn" process. The only transmission issue that required a flash of the TCM for me was the 2-1 bump you mentioned...that was a TCM flash.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2015 1500 Express Hemi 8 speed about a month and a half ago with only 29k miles. I have just over 32k miles so far and I have a few things I don't like. First, is how rough the trans shifts through 1st-2nd-3rd. It feels like its slipping under some conditions (like when the trans is cold) and shifts weird sometimes. 4th-8th is butter smooth though. Second, is how slow the throttle response is when MDS is active and I need a downshift or two. For example, if I'm cruising on the highway and I need to squirt out to get past a car, the truck seems to not want to disable MDS before downshifting. Or it will downshift but not disable MDS. Its never consistent and it makes it difficult to predict passing timing. I'm planning on getting a tuner soon mainly to disable MDS.

The trans weirdness doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence considering the horror stories of transmission failures. I also have the trans/driveshaft "bump" when coming to a stop. Its bad sometimes and it feels like the truck just got rear ended. I'm hoping it just needs the splines greased or at most a new driveshaft.
Sounds like that truck needs to go see a mechanic.
Also, the lifter/camshaft failures worry me too. You could own the truck for 150k miles and never have it happen or it could happen at 35k miles. I do not like how its a crapshoot if it happens or not.
Don’t run cheap, semi-synthetic engine oil with cheap, paper media oil filters that’s all changed out upwards of 9, 10,000 miles and you probably won’t have that problem. Might even wanna consider using a 30w oil if you’re that concerned and outta warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Use Redline 5w-30 full synthetic with a K/N filter and put the pedal commander on it, and don't tune it will void warrantee in case of any engine problems, if you take care of the lubrication early on it will aid in causing failure, these engines go to the 100,000 plus mark for engine problems, but early warning is your best defense.

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Use Redline 5w-30 full synthetic with a K/N filter and put the pedal commander on it, and don't tune it will void warrantee in case of any engine problems, if you take care of the lubrication early on it will aid in causing failure, these engines go to the 100,000 plus mark for engine problems, but early warning is your best defense.

The shifting is fairly common, and known well on the forum and by Ram owners. Everything you described is unfortunately part of the deal. Had my PCM and TCM flashed, and while in learning mode great - but always seems to return. Also had valve body serviced, but didn’t offer a permanent solution. I was not going to push for a transmission overhaul, as it’s more invasive than what I thought the concern deserved.

As a recommendation ease the vehicle out in the first run of the day, drive it gingerly in the first couple of shifts. A softer break and ease to a stop will also prevent the “bump” in the downshift from 2:1:Complete Stop.

I notice the bump when braking more suddenly off of higher speed or an acceleration.

Not ideal, but that’s the gig. Also, recommend turning off the MDS for local driving.

Pedal Commander is a great option, but I have MaxCare warranty that I am not going to screw around with. For the same reason, I stick with OEM maintenance (at dealer) and will only run OEM fluids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desert Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't like that it's in the dealership shop!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pedal Commander is a great option, but I have MaxCare warranty that I am not going to screw around with. For the same reason, I stick with OEM maintenance (at dealer) and will only run OEM fluids.

I have max care warranty as well, and I run a PC. Just unplug it and take it out whenever you have to take the truck in for anything, they won’t know you had it. It’s not a programmer and doesn’t leave a footprint on the ECM.

But yes, I run OEM fluids as well but I do my own oil changes.

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have max care warranty as well, and I run a PC. Just unplug it and take it out whenever you have to take the truck in for anything, they won’t know you had it. It’s not a programmer and doesn’t leave a footprint on the ECM.

But yes, I run OEM fluids as well but I do my own oil changes.

Totally get it. Paranoia on my part, don’t want to take any unnecessary chance. A PC isn’t that important to me, but admittedly a little envious of friends who have ‘em.

As for the oil changes. I get a deal through MOPAR of 3 oil changes and rotations for $99. I lack the handiness and desire that some on the forum have, plus time/money factor. I feel like substantiating the paper trail and that it is maintained at the dealer wins me favor from time-to-time. There’s been a couple of instances where I would have had “recommended “ work completed, that the dealer didn’t think was necessary...or they’ve cut a couple of bucks off the cost of parts/install not necessarily covered by warranty (legit).

I have enough of a relationship with the dealer and service writer that doesn’t make me feel like a crime victim when I need something taken care of.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Totally get it. Paranoia on my part, don’t want to take any unnecessary chance. A PC isn’t that important to me, but admittedly a little envious of friends who have ‘em.

As for the oil changes. I get a deal through MOPAR of 3 oil changes and rotations for $99. I lack the handiness and desire that some on the forum have, plus time/money factor. I feel like substantiating the paper trail and that it is maintained at the dealer wins me favor from time-to-time. There’s been a couple of instances where I would have had “recommended “ work completed, that the dealer didn’t think was necessary...or they’ve cut a couple of bucks off the cost of parts/install not necessarily covered by warranty (legit).

I have enough of a relationship with the dealer and service writer that doesn’t make me feel like a crime victim when I need something taken care of.

I used to feel that way too but, I just don’t like paying for oil changes that I can do easily do myself. This way I know what’s going in there, and that it’s done right. Not only that, even if I spend the money on an oil analysis, I can still save money in the long run and still get top of the line full synthetic with a much better oil filter than what they insist on using. I keep all my receipts and keep accurate and detailed records of what I do so if it comes down to being questioned, I guess it’ll involve a lawyer but, I just don’t ever foresee that happening. They can’t just deny you warranty for doing your own work. They can try, but I feel pretty confident they’ll fail miserably in the end.

leeroy300

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Sport
Engine
6.7 l
dont like the style of flip up and the lack of backing up coverage by comparison to a ford of chev

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
4th Gen. "dislikes"?

What are some of the least things you like about your 4th generation Ram? (This isn't a knock on the truck at all. I LOVE my Ram and this is my second brand new Ram in 10 years.)
I guess I'll go first.
I don't really like the windshield washer nozzles on the hood. I like the way they were on my 3rd gen Daytona. The other thing I'm not too crazy about is the way the MDS comes on/engages. Don't like the "drone" I guess you call it. These aren't real issues for me, just wanted to see what others have to share.
don't like mds better get a turner and turn off ! I predict its part of the lifters burning out cuz idle is way to low 26 at traffic not good at all ! i keep def. on in selector so idle says 31 to 33 a lot better ! the windshield on mine it spays off center and there no eye in it to turn were it should be that sucks to me !

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Lack of cabin air filter from the factory. Given how most trucks are used, there is no excuse for this. Especially on a loaded truck.
not sure but a guy years back on u tube show how the place were cabin filter is just needed to cut it out u have to bend roll the filter in and i just snapped cover I bought right back in 15.00 for cover take glove box off take a look ok it even had were u cut out on it buy a cover to make sure was easy on my 2010 ok

Last edited:

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I do agree Sir !
oil filter so hate that little pop can filter remember the 1 gt ones even if it was 1 inch bigger be nice going to rp next time but wish there's was 1/2 longer at lest ! tied 3 bigger one guys use on older rams wont work on mine hole is bigger on filter hummm right ! mine small low pressure 26 at idle r u kidding !

sking2001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4th Gen. "dislikes"?

What are some of the least things you like about your 4th generation Ram? (This isn't a knock on the truck at all. I LOVE my Ram and this is my second brand new Ram in 10 years.)
I guess I'll go first.
I don't really like the windshield washer nozzles on the hood. I like the way they were on my 3rd gen Daytona. The other thing I'm not too crazy about is the way the MDS comes on/engages. Don't like the "drone" I guess you call it. These aren't real issues for me, just wanted to see what others have to share.

whomever designed the stereo system should be shot. It took me a long time to retro fit my Alpine system to get it somewhat sounding good...

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
don't like mds better get a turner and turn off ! I predict its part of the lifters burning out cuz idle is way to low 26 at traffic not good at all ! i keep def. on in selector so idle says 31 to 33 a lot better ! the windshield on mine it spays off center and there no eye in it to turn were it should be that sucks to me !
LOL
Yeah, I absolutely HATE the MDS system. It's horrid, especially with an aftermarket exhaust. I turn it off every single time I drive my truck. EVERY SINGLE TIME.
Not worried about the lifters and so forth, it's under warranty. But, in all honesty, I'll just trade it in BEFORE getting it "fixed". Why should I have that on my Carfax when it's FCA's MDS system that sucks? I'll just trade up and get either a brand new Raptor or brand new Ram 1500. The sportiest one they make.

whomever designed the stereo system should be shot. It took me a long time to retro fit my Alpine system to get it somewhat sounding good...
LOL
Yeah, who makes a stereo system with no on/off button or knob?? DUMB! lol

Potatomafia

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
LOL
Yeah, who makes a stereo system with no on/off button or knob?? DUMB! lol

One of the first things I did to my new to me '15 1500 was replace the RA1 head unit with an RA2 head unit. I felt like an idiot because I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to turn the radio off before I realized that you can't. WTF!?

Potatomafia

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Oh, and I plan on changing the oil this weekend. I ordered a 5qt jug of 5w-30 PUP and a Purolator BOSS PBL22500. I just have to find 2qts locally since Amazon wanted nearly the same price of the 5qt jug for the 2 additional quarts. I bought the truck used at a Chevy dealer and they changed the oil, as evidenced by the oil change sticker on the windshield. Who knows what kind of horse **** they used for oil. The sooner I change it and the AC Delco filter, the better.