What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
So back to the original ‘what don’t you like?’
This is REALLY petty but it bugs me.
On my last 2017 Longhorn I had a little thingy in the upper console box to hold your small change, quarters, dimes etc etc. You could actually take it out to fill and even I suppose take it into shop for change (although I never did)
Now,my new 2021 Longhorn has a fixed thingy for coins.
a. It is crap! Coins fit loosely and a pain to fill
b. It is fixed in place, you can’t lift it out if you wanted to.
c. Very hard to actually get coins out! The old design had a spring loaded slot, bit like a magazine I suppose to better describe it.

Petty? Most definitely, but the question was raised!

Love my truck!

Last edited:

BadRat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My new Warlock (4X4) came with neither front tow hooks nor mud/rock guards.

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't had that problem in either of my Rams. ('14 & '19)
Nice. You're lucky.
It's kind of petty, but it still shouldn't happen in my opinion. Almost like it loses connection after I turn the truck off, mostly happens when I'm at my bank. Weird.

Yep, I have an old iPod I use for music in the truck and every so often it doesn't recognize it. I have to unplug it from the USB cable and plug it back in again, then it recognizes it....
That stinks. Does it bother you much?
I'm using a thumbdrive and it does this. Mostly when I'm at my bank though, now that I think about it.

I haven't so far, '12.
Nice. You're lucky.
It's kind of petty, but it still shouldn't happen in my opinion. Almost like it loses connection after I turn the truck off, mostly happens when I'm at my bank. Weird.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So back to the original ‘what don’t you like?’
This is REALLY petty but it bugs me.
On my last 2017 Longhorn I had a little thingy in the upper console box to hold your small change, quarters, dimes etc etc. You could actually take it out to fill and even I suppose take it into shop for change (although I never did)
Now,my new 2021 Longhorn has a fixed thingy for coins.
a. It is crap! Coins fit loosely and a pain to fill
b. It is fixed in place, you can’t lift it out if you wanted to.
c. Very hard to actually get coins out! The old design had a spring loaded slot, bit like a magazine I suppose to better describe it.

Petty? Most definitely, but the question was raised!

Love my truck!
It probably saves FCA $0.38 per truck, and since 99.993% of new vehicle buyers don't use change any more they figured it was worth it to put that change in their own pocket.

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have any of you 4th gen guys have to replace the rear bushings on your truck?? Truck is 5 years old has only 27,600 miles on it.
Mine are creaking and look like they are no good. My mechanic did a quick fix on it and it's a lot better, but not perfect. He said they should be replaced, but I'm not spending this truck. Not on this truck. lol

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Do you not have the 60 month drivetrain warranty? I would think it should be covered.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have any of you 4th gen guys have to replace the rear bushings on your truck?? Truck is 5 years old has only 27,600 miles on it.
Mine are creaking and look like they are no good. My mechanic did a quick fix on it and it's a lot better, but not perfect. He said they should be replaced, but I'm not spending this truck. Not on this truck. lol
Yeah thats not normal... FWIW my truck is 8 years old, just hit 77k, and mine are silent. In fact they're in really good shape for having been soaked in Fluid Film since 2015 lol

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let's see,..................
I've mentioned it before, but it really ****** ****** me off, so I'm going to mention it again. lol

Squeaky driver window when going down, not all the time, but sometimes.
Rusty rear wheel well, not bad, but it's there.
The MDS is pretty much my biggest gripe. Along with the rust.
A couple other things that I'm not mentioning.

The kicker??!!? ONLY 26,500 miles on the truck. That's it.
The issues started wayyyyy before the 26,500 miles. Probably 10,000 miles ago. Pretty poor if you ask me for a rcsb Sport 4X4 that cost over 44k back in 2016.
I think my next vehicle will probably be an awd car. I LOVE the Audi cars as well as the Mercedes Benz AMG cars. NASTY!
We'll see what the future holds. :favorites13: :head3:

No need, we’ve all heard them before… Lol. We know you hate the MDS so why not just use your little plus and minus buttons on the steering wheel to turn it off? I don’t know about you but I talked to somebody else on here who probably hates the MDS way more than you did and he said that it’s become like second nature every time he gets in his truck and takes off, he’s on the shift buttons to turn it off and he seems to be happy.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any of you guys have your USB media not recognized every once in a while???

I use a thumbdrive for music as the radio doesn't play what I want to hear. Every once in a while, the truck doesn't recognize the media. For instance, I'll go to the bank after work and then when I get in, it automatically plays the radio and cannot recognize device, even though the device is connected properly. :crazy: :crazy: :gayfight: LOL
Add this to the list of stuff I hate about my current Ram truck.
I do kinda miss my last Ram truck, but it was getting dated. Not crappy, but dated. It was a '05 Daytona rcsb in GoMango Orange and was in great condition.
How old is your flash drive? Does it have any errors on that you know of? What kind of shape is the USB plug-in on both your flash drive and on your truck? Is the drive formatted the the right way?

I really don’t know what the flash drive requirements are on our trucks because I play my music through Bluetooth off my phone or on longer trips, I just plug it in USB and use the Apple CarPlay.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The HEMI Tick.. it's embarrassing when you fire it up next to a group of people and tick tick tick.
The UConnect.. buy a 50k truck and they want to rob you with monthly charges and $600 for navigation that is technically your property being that it already on it. I hate uconnect so much, I'm fixing to go aftermarket..
Well, put you some red line 5W30 in there. Lots of folks at this place swear up and down that as long as her hemi tick isn’t real bad, that oil cures it.

But it’s not Ram or Chrysler who’s “robbing” you, it’s Uconnect and if the App controls are more than you want to pay for then just don’t subscribe to it. A lot of times, when you call and talk to somebody and tell them we really like the service but there’s only certain things you want, they usually will give you a discounted price just to keep you a customer.

But what are you talking about when you start talking about the “$600 for navigation that you already own” part? Are you talking about when it comes time to update the map software on the navigation, or what?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My new Warlock (4X4) came with neither front tow hooks nor mud/rock guards.
So, being that your truck didn’t come with these items you wanted, have you recently added them? But if you wanted those items why didn’t you get a truck that had them? My 2018 Limited didn’t come with the front tow hooks and it had the painted to match step bars on the side when I would’ve preferred to have the chrome ones but if I could’ve found one that had that, that would’ve been the one I bought but the truck I have is all I could find and, I would’ve ordered it the way I wanted it but I didn’t have that luxury because when I bought my truck in late 2017, because of the upcoming introduction of the new fifth GEN body style, ram wouldn’t let you order any of the top trim models of the remaining fourth GEN trucks so I was forced to have to settle with what was already at a dealership but I’ve since then added the front tow hooks and put on a nice set of aftermarket stainless step bars on my truck.

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah thats not normal... FWIW my truck is 8 years old, just hit 77k, and mine are silent. In fact they're in really good shape for having been soaked in Fluid Film since 2015 lol
I didn't think it was normal. My mechanic made it better, so I may just live with it. Haven't decided yet.
Thanks.

No need, we’ve all heard them before… Lol. We know you hate the MDS so why not just use your little plus and minus buttons on the steering wheel to turn it off? I don’t know about you but I talked to somebody else on here who probably hates the MDS way more than you did and he said that it’s become like second nature every time he gets in his truck and takes off, he’s on the shift buttons to turn it off and he seems to be happy.
I feel the MDS cuts your balls off,....I really dislike it. I bought a V8 Hemi to have a v8 Hemi at all times,....not when the truck decides that I can't. I'm sure others dislike it as well, but just not as vocal about it. I turn mine off every single time I drive the truck. Guys on the other ram forum don't like either.
I've been doing research on a lot of vehicles recently, and all the manufacturers, not just truck manufacturers, pretty much have their issues. They all suck to be honest. LOL
They use the cheapest vendor that uses the cheapest parts to make a larger profit. I get it.

How old is your flash drive? Does it have any errors on that you know of? What kind of shape is the USB plug-in on both your flash drive and on your truck? Is the drive formatted the the right way?

I really don’t know what the flash drive requirements are on our trucks because I play my music through Bluetooth off my phone or on longer trips, I just plug it in USB and use the Apple CarPlay.
It's definitely not the thumbdrive. I used two different thumbdrives and it does it with both. Not all the time, just once in a while. Kinda sucks, but it's a small issue compared to the other issues that I have.
If I get a good trade-in, I'll definitely trade it in. If not, I'll keep it till I can't take it any more. lol I'm not going to give the truck away. It's paid off.

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a similar experience. Just doing normal driving, enjoying music and out of nowhere the radio reboots itself. Just like when you start the truck in the morning, it goes through the normal boot up, except I'm doing 60mph. After the reboot finished, it said USB not recognized. Remove, reinstall, nope it's as if I never reinserted that USB at all. I left it unplugged. A bunch of drive cycles later, I inserted the USB and it worked properly. Be it sunspots or the phase of the moon, it's been working properly ever since. Weird, huh?

It's definitely not the thumbdrive. I used two different thumbdrives and it does it with both. Not all the time, just once in a while. Kinda sucks, but it's a small issue compared to the other issues that I have.
If I get a good trade-in, I'll definitely trade it in. If not, I'll keep it till I can't take it any more. lol I'm not going to give the truck away. It's paid off.

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me, truly a dislike is how the dash lights go full bright when you shut off the headlights. There seems that nothing can be done about it tho. I just don't shut off the parking/running lights till I'm out of the truck. It's a useable work around.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me, truly a dislike is how the dash lights go full bright when you shut off the headlights. There seems that nothing can be done about it tho. I just don't shut off the parking/running lights till I'm out of the truck. It's a useable work around.
Yeah, they really should’ve put some kind of a dimmer knob on that because they just had to know that somebody out there would think they’re too bright.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How is it, that a 2020 Tradesman Express (Classic) has heated seats, heated wheel, Satellite Radio....
And NO MAP LIGHTS!??!?!
That is a little weird. Did you buy it new? If not, it is possible the previous owner could have ordered it that way but either way, do you at least have anything up there where the square map light fixture would be? If all you have is just straight up headliner up there, as long as it has the raised, or I guess lowered flat spot right in the center, you could get the piece and install one yourself.