What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Has anyone mentioned the dirt trapping LED tail lights on the Laramie? The frame of those lights trap dirt and grime in there and the only way to clean them is to take the whole light assembly off the truck.

OP
OP
tones2SS

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have no idea how my comment ended up as your quote.
Again I say, weird, huh?
Very weird indeed.
Does it happen often, or have you found a remedy to it? It would **** me off even more if I'm cruising and all of the sudden it can't recognize the USB. Very weird.
Good luck!

Platypusfetch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Brand new off the lot.... Test drove it (obviously) in the daylight hours.... First early commute to work is when I realized I didn't have it....:Frustrated:
There is a nice flat spot, dropped down, in the headliner, where I imagine it WOULD have gone..... But there is nothing there...

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Brand new off the lot.... Test drove it (obviously) in the daylight hours.... First early commute to work is when I realized I didn't have it....:Frustrated:
There is a nice flat spot, dropped down, in the headliner, where I imagine it WOULD have gone..... But there is nothing there...
Just "what" are you missing? HomeLink, Sunglass holder, "beam me up Scotty" button, ...??

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just "what" are you missing? HomeLink, Sunglass holder, "beam me up Scotty" button, ...??
It kind of sounds like it’s all the way down to the fact that he may not even have a hole cut in his headliner for the whole upper console which is weird. Sure, the home link buttons, sunroof controls and the fancier[****tier] LED lamps wouldn’t be on the lower trim model but at least the console with a shades holder and probably the much better incandescent map lights should be there, I would think. Everybody needs map lights but I wouldn’t be surprised if he has the dome lights in the back seat, tho… but speaking of which, I wonder if he has a reg cab? Did some of the regular cabs have the upper map lights and the rear dome?

ScrappyDogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, put you some red line 5W30 in there. Lots of folks at this place swear up and down that as long as her hemi tick isn’t real bad, that oil cures it.

But it’s not Ram or Chrysler who’s “robbing” you, it’s Uconnect and if the App controls are more than you want to pay for then just don’t subscribe to it. A lot of times, when you call and talk to somebody and tell them we really like the service but there’s only certain things you want, they usually will give you a discounted price just to keep you a customer.

But what are you talking about when you start talking about the “$600 for navigation that you already own” part? Are you talking about when it comes time to update the map software on the navigation, or what?
I may have to get the redline I just got my last free oil change done, so I will have to try it next go around.
What I'm talking about is already owning the maps. In other words, navigation and maps are already on the UConnect that I bought. I have called uconnect and they want to charge $600 for the password to access the maps. I believe that is not right or fair and should be illegal. I think a gps is $89 at Walmart that includes all your maps, but uconnect wants to charge $600 is just downright sickening.. I think ram should look elsewhere with other headunits that don't try to stick it to their customers. I have been looking at aftermarket headunits but due to covid the ones I'm looking at are backordered. When I talked to uconnect they did try to go down to $499.. that's just redicilous to charge that much, especially since it's already downloaded onto the headunits.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I may have to get the redline I just got my last free oil change done, so I will have to try it next go around.
What I'm talking about is already owning the maps. In other words, navigation and maps are already on the UConnect that I bought. I have called uconnect and they want to charge $600 for the password to access the maps. I believe that is not right or fair and should be illegal. I think a gps is $89 at Walmart that includes all your maps, but uconnect wants to charge $600 is just downright sickening.. I think ram should look elsewhere with other headunits that don't try to stick it to their customers. I have been looking at aftermarket headunits but due to covid the ones I'm looking at are backordered. When I talked to uconnect they did try to go down to $499.. that's just redicilous to charge that much, especially since it's already downloaded onto the headunits.
Bought my 2014 new off the lot. The GPS option was 600.00 What a POS. Never was dependable and map upgrades were 150.00. Save your money and buy a portable gps with free map upgrades. I ordered my 2021 without the 800.00 option gps because it's such a ripoff.

Nyca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I changed to a JVC head unit with Apple CarPlay. No issues with upgrading maps. But I had the small 4 or 5 Inch stereo

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sooo, they want you to pay for your access to the navigation in your radio? If you already have it then why are they charging you to use it? I don’t get that part.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bought my 2014 new off the lot. The GPS option was 600.00 What a POS. Never was dependable and map upgrades were 150.00. Save your money and buy a portable gps with free map upgrades. I ordered my 2021 without the 800.00 option gps because it's such a ripoff.
I kinda wish I coulda ordered my truck because if I woulda known how lousy it was and how much they charge for map updates, I woulda ordered it without it but I couldn’t because when I bought my truck, they weren’t taking orders anymore for the remaining upper trim models of the 2018 model year so I had to take what I could find and being that mine is a Limited, I was stuck with it.

I just don’t use it because in this day of age, why even get a Garmin when Google Maps will do pretty much everything you need it to do and with Android Connect and Apple CarPlay, you can project Google Maps right on the screen.

ScrappyDogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sooo, they want you to pay for your access to the navigation in your radio? If you already have it then why are they charging you to use it? I don’t get that part.
Right.. they give you a 16 digit pin number for $600 to type in and it unlocks the maps... There's a guy on eBay that will give it to you for $400... Lol

ScrappyDogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
TTs What i
heard. I've got a little gpa I direct wired and I use it. But it sucks. I'm gonna go aftermarket, when they get some headunits in.
hah

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed to a JVC head unit with Apple CarPlay. No issues with upgrading maps. But I had the small 4 or 5 Inch stereo
That’s a lot easier to do than it is with the 8.4 because of how much more is tied into it. The only upgrade from that, that I know of is that Tesla radio that you can program to our trucks.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Right.. they give you a 16 digit pin number for $600 to type in and it unlocks the maps... There's a guy on eBay that will give it to you for $400... Lol
Ok but I guess I still don’t understand the issue because if your truck has the 8.4 Uconnect with navigation then why are they trying to charge you to use it??

ScrappyDogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok but I guess I still don’t understand the issue because if your truck has the 8.4 Uconnect with navigation then why are they trying to charge you to use it??
Because it's an added on feature. It's preprogrammed in the UConnect but you have to pay for the pin to use it. It's robbery.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Because it's an added on feature. It's preprogrammed in the UConnect but you have to pay for the pin to use it. It's robbery.
Hmm. So what you’re saying, all the 8.4 Uconnects have NAV capabilities already built in them but the one’s that are labeled without NAV, are the ones that the pin hasn’t been paid for to unlock it and the ones that have NAV, have already been paid for?

I guess I just always figured that only specific 8.4 Uconnect radios had NAV in them and some didn’t and that for example, say you bought a truck with the 8.4 Uconnect that didn’t originally have NAV and you wanted to add it, that you’d have to get a whole new radio….

But then again, why even bother because the built in NAV sucks. Even for those who have it, it’s still a $150-200 charge to update the mapping software and it doesn’t even route right. I’ve tested this quite a bit and my Google Maps is far better than the factory NAV. And it keeps itself updated much, much more, for free.

ScrappyDogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmm. So what you’re saying, all the 8.4 Uconnects have NAV capabilities already built in them but the one’s that are labeled without NAV, are the ones that the pin hasn’t been paid for to unlock it and the ones that have NAV, have already been paid for?

I guess I just always figured that only specific 8.4 Uconnect radios had NAV in them and some didn’t and that for example, say you bought a truck with the 8.4 Uconnect that didn’t originally have NAV and you wanted to add it, that you’d have to get a whole new radio….

But then again, why even bother because the built in NAV sucks. Even for those who have it, it’s still a $150-200 charge to update the mapping software and it doesn’t even route right. I’ve tested this quite a bit and my Google Maps is far better than the factory NAV. And it keeps itself updated much, much more, for free.
Exactly... I just think ram should do away with the UConnect system all together. I would much rather a Sanyo radio then the UConnect thrives.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly... I just think ram should do away with the UConnect system all together. I would much rather a Sanyo radio then the UConnect thrives.
So far the only issue I’ve had with mine is just the delamination of the digitizer from the screen due to the glue they used that isn’t all that resilient to heat but other than that, I like my radio. The voice commands aren’t really worth a **** but then again, that means nothing to me because if I need hands free voice commands, I just use Siri. I don’t use my built in NAV so I don’t need it for that and since I cancelled my Sirius subscription, I don’t need it for that, either so it’s all good. Lol.

ScrappyDogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So far the only issue I’ve had with mine is just the delamination of the digitizer from the screen due to the glue they used that isn’t all that resilient to heat but other than that, I like my radio. The voice commands aren’t really worth a **** but then again, that means nothing to me because if I need hands free voice commands, I just use Siri. I don’t use my built in NAV so I don’t need it for that and since I cancelled my Sirius subscription, I don’t need it for that, either so it’s all good. Lol.
My problem is mine don't have Android auto. Missed it by 6 months.. I've got Bluetooth for my Pandora but, no navigation..

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very weird indeed.
Does it happen often, or have you found a remedy to it? It would **** me off even more if I'm cruising and all of the sudden it can't recognize the USB. Very weird.
Good luck!
Only happened that one time. Hopefully, it won't happen again!