What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I could tolerate Alannis Morrissette back in the 1990s, it wasnt my favorite but some of her songs were OK. My wife HATED her.

Now, without fail, every darn time my wife gets in my truck, an Alannis song pops up on Sirius. So, now, Ive favorited her as an artist and favorited every song that comes up, just to annoy my wife :)

Im still a sucker for any 1990s and 2000s rock and/or alternative music.

jmh288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 (2017 1500 KIA OCT 2017)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish my 18 Sport showed real time tire psi like so many other autos do nowadays. Also your think the vented seats would be colder/stronger considering it's a truck.

My 2018 Night Edition (Sport), shows real time psi.

Sent from my iX using my iThumbs via Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2018 Night Edition (Sport), shows real time psi.

Yeah, it was later determined his BCM was throwing error code PEBSAD.

jmh288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, it was later determined his BCM was throwing error code PEBSAD.

My phone was offline. By the time this posted the op was aware. LoL

Ok what’s the silly acronym

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My phone was offline. By the time this posted the op was aware. LoL

Ok what’s the silly acronym

Problem Exists Between Seat And Dashboard

:)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jmh288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Problem Exists Between Seat And Dashboard

:)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

LoL

That’s a good one. I just say “it’s the loose nut behind the wheel”

Burnstork

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Tow haul: Here is something I copied from the online manual for my 2018:
"When frequent transmission shifting occurs (such as when operating the vehicle under heavy loading conditions, in hilly terrain, traveling into strong head winds, or while towing a heavy trailer), select TOW/HAUL mode or use the Electronic Range Select (ERS) shift control (refer to Electronic Range Select (ERS) Operation in this section for further information) to select a lower gear range. Under
these conditions, using a lower gear range will improve performance and extend transmission life by reducing excessive shifting and heat buildup."
History: The steep, hilly section I referenced was between Redding & Weed, CA. Once in my 2014 I exited in Weed only to have the transmission go into limp-home mode, maxing out at 15 mph. I went into a restaurant (checked the manual while there) and when I came out the tranny had reset. The dealer in Portland checked but couldn't find anything wrong. Same with a more thorough diagnosis at a dealer in Sacramento. The problem arises on the especially steep hilly stretch primarily because people often block the inside lane while driving 25-30 mph right next to the car in the outside lane. On long trips I don't have time for that (in a 65 mph zone) so look for the first opportunity to get through. This often happens repeatedly so the tranny is having to shift down to pass quickly and resume the speed limit repeatedly. It seemed that this punishing behavior over many miles is what triggered limp mode (in which the tranny is protecting itself from damage). I then read up on tow haul mode which was a suggested method (as was Electronic Speed Control as an alternative where you choose your gear on the steering wheel contols). I tried both on subsequent trips with my 2014 and now with my 2018. At 70mph in tow haul mode I checked my rpm's and then switched to ESC to determine which gear gave me that same rpm reading. It was consistently 6th. So tow haul gave me 6th gear at 70mph or I could choose 6th from the ESC to get the same result. Since I was doing 70 in 6th I assumed it would never go to a higher gear in tow-haul. Perhaps it would go to a higher gear after all if I continued to speed up (based on 69GWC's comment) but I have no wish to go over 70 in a 65 zone so I never tried it. BTW, both of these methods solve the problem. No more limp-home mode after many trips through the same area.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeah you have to go faster before it will up shift into the overdrive gears in tow haul, I think mine is closer to 80mph befote it will go into 8th gear in TH mode and I think its not much over 70 for 7th gear if I remember right.
I did not think it would go into 8th in TH mode either but it will at that higher speed. :)

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
More and more I don’t like how easily the doors close. If I had a nickel for every time I had a door slam into my back or elbow I’d be rich. Especially the back door. Last night while loading up my fishing stuff a mosquito flew by and the wind shut the door on me

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
"When frequent transmission shifting occurs (such as when operating the vehicle under heavy loading conditions, in hilly terrain, traveling into strong head winds, or while towing a heavy trailer), select TOW/HAUL mode or use the Electronic Range Select (ERS) shift control (refer to Electronic Range Select (ERS) Operation in this section for further information) to select a lower gear range. Under
these conditions, using a lower gear range will improve performance and extend transmission life by reducing excessive shifting and heat buildup."
History: The steep, hilly section I referenced was between Redding & Weed, CA. Once in my 2014 I exited in Weed only to have the transmission go into limp-home mode, maxing out at 15 mph. I went into a restaurant (checked the manual while there) and when I came out the tranny had reset. The dealer in Portland checked but couldn't find anything wrong. Same with a more thorough diagnosis at a dealer in Sacramento. The problem arises on the especially steep hilly stretch primarily because people often block the inside lane while driving 25-30 mph right next to the car in the outside lane. On long trips I don't have time for that (in a 65 mph zone) so look for the first opportunity to get through. This often happens repeatedly so the tranny is having to shift down to pass quickly and resume the speed limit repeatedly. It seemed that this punishing behavior over many miles is what triggered limp mode (in which the tranny is protecting itself from damage). I then read up on tow haul mode which was a suggested method (as was Electronic Speed Control as an alternative where you choose your gear on the steering wheel contols). I tried both on subsequent trips with my 2014 and now with my 2018. At 70mph in tow haul mode I checked my rpm's and then switched to ESC to determine which gear gave me that same rpm reading. It was consistently 6th. So tow haul gave me 6th gear at 70mph or I could choose 6th from the ESC to get the same result. Since I was doing 70 in 6th I assumed it would never go to a higher gear in tow-haul. Perhaps it would go to a higher gear after all if I continued to speed up (based on 69GWC's comment) but I have no wish to go over 70 in a 65 zone so I never tried it. BTW, both of these methods solve the problem. No more limp-home mode after many trips through the same area.

Awesome post! I use my toe haul even for my aluminum boat. Slight hills. Prob nothing like what you’re experiencing. Usually my trans sits at 82/81 while towing with tow/haul. Yesterday I was at 79! About 174 F. Which is pretty good I think for towing two hours straight. My truck is a dog with the 3:21 but I like the fuel mileage I get and also don’t plan on bigger than a 33 which is basically stock

Again, very informative post!!!

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box

walnuts4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 express crew
Engine
Only thing I have hated about mine now is the damn top of the door where my elbow rests... Hasn't been an issue until I did a 10hr trip... After a while my left elbow started to hurt with the angle was a little more comfortable....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6

I saw that in my 2017 manual too. On the other hand, even though I live where I do, the grade is generally not all that steep. The roads have a zillion curves, but the elevation only varies between 560' ASL (home) and 1200' ASL (most of the nearby passes) and maybe as low as 0' ASL if I go to the coast and park it on the beach at low tide.

I'm taking a chance of sorts and keeping the fuel mileage, but was curious about whether or not this makes a difference on roads that are heavily curved.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Anyone mentioned the search function on the 3.0? Frustrating.........

2016 1500 Outdoorsman 4X4 5.7L