What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sweep49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have a 2018 Laramie. This is my 5th Ram so obviously I like the brand. This is my first upscale model and I am disappointed with the bells and whistles.

The heated seat is not very hot and the heated steering wheel is hotter sometimes than others.

The auto high beams work ok sometimes but other times I get flashed by oncoming because they didn't dim soon enough. Once during a light rain the high beams would not activate at all. It takes 5 presses on the Uconnect to toggle this option. Wish they would let the owner make a shortcut on the screen for things like this to be able to toggle it quickly.

The power plug in the console is dead (it's not the fuse) and the but pad for the driver's seat is loose and wrinkled.

On 2 occasions the Homelink would not lower the garage door!! I have the manual opener in the truck now for backup.

Just got the truck in October so I plan to get the dealer to "fix" all this soon. But it's too many b.s. problems I think for a $52k truck.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
The auto high beams work ok sometimes but other times I get flashed by oncoming because they didn't dim soon enough. Once during a light rain the high beams would not activate at all. It takes 5 presses on the Uconnect to toggle this option. Wish they would let the owner make a shortcut on the screen for things like this to be able to toggle it quickly.

I believe that you can turn on Auto High Beams by pressing the blinker stick forward and it will stay locked in that position and Auto High Beams are enabled. To toggle High Beams manually you can just pull the stick back until it clicks and release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The heated seat is not very hot and the heated steering wheel is hotter sometimes than others.
Might be something wrong with it. Mine in my 18 Limited gets pretty warm. Don’t reckon I’ve noticed my steering wheel getting different temperatures.

Well as dmalonecentral said, you toggle it on and off with the dimmer switch on the column. The setting within the Uconnect settings is basically just the master switch to enable and disable the feature completely.

As far as some people highbeaming you, some people are just dickholes if they think you didn’t dim your lights quick enough to their liking.

I leave the setting enabled but most of the time, I just leave the dimmer stick pulled back until I want the auto-highbeams to activate on their own, then I throw it forward.

But I’ve heard that area on the top-middle of the windshield needs to stay clean as to not mess with the camera that runs it and the auto-wipers.

The power plug in the console is dead (it's not the fuse) and the but pad for the driver's seat is loose and wrinkled.
Just got the truck in October so I plan to get the dealer to "fix" all this soon. But it's too many b.s. problems I think for a $52k truck.

Power plug? You mean the 115 power outlet?

I believe that you can turn on Auto High Beams by pressing the blinker stick forward and it will stay locked in that position and Auto High Beams are enabled. To toggle High Beams manually you can just pull the stick back until it clicks and release.

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
backup camera display blinds me at night. specially when i'm trying to backup a 40' fifth wheel. i have to carry a towel to throw over the display unit. i like the new disply off button, but i doesnt turn off the backup monitor.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
backup camera display blinds me at night. specially when i'm trying to backup a 40' fifth wheel. i have to carry a towel to throw over the display unit. i like the new disply off button, but i doesnt turn off the backup monitor.

Just sayin, since the tailgates on our trucks are made to be removed- your truck shoulda came with that blank that plugs into the tailgate wiring harness for if you do remove it; just unplug your tailgate and your camera screen shouldn’t even turn on. You’ll lose your auto locking tailgate lock if you do that, though, and you’ll lose your backup camera but, I doubt there’s a way to turn the backup camera off since the government made those silly things mandatory on all vehicles. It’s kinda like the TPMS; since it’s a safety deal, there really isn’t anyway to take it off.

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Just sayin, since the tailgates on our trucks are made to be removed- your truck shoulda came with that blank that plugs into the tailgate wiring harness for if you do remove it; just unplug your tailgate and your camera screen shouldn’t even turn on. You’ll lose your auto locking tailgate lock if you do that, though, and you’ll lose your backup camera but, I doubt there’s a way to turn the backup camera off since the government made those silly things mandatory on all vehicles. It’s kinda like the TPMS; since it’s a safety deal, there really isn’t anyway to take it off.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I do NOT want to delete the camera, just turn it off or down when it's destroying my night vision. I'm actually in the process of designing a little roll-up/pull-down window shade for the screen. Now why am I forced to do that ? Do our designers/software and application engineers not drive and use these vehicles. I submit, probably not.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry I wasn't clear. I do NOT want to delete the camera, just turn it off or down when it's destroying my night vision. I'm actually in the process of designing a little roll-up/pull-down window shade for the screen. Now why am I forced to do that ? Do our designers/software and application engineers not drive and use these vehicles. I submit, probably not.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I wasn’t even in the least little bit insinuating that you were wanting to delete your backup camera, nor was I necessarily telling you do so, I was just pretty much telling you that that was probably the only way to turn it off because the government says you have to use it. Of course they’re not gonna take into account that the camera is on a vehicle that is built to tow and that the brightness of the camera screen might be more of a hinderance than an assistance when backing a large, long trailer in the dark. Why they made the camera capable of being turned on while driving down the highway is beyond me, unless you just got a serious case of OCD about being able to check your trailer hitch while going down the road but in my humble little ole opinion, they probably didn’t put a switchable option on the backup camera to completely disable it at will is probably because they figured people would just take advantage of the switch and just turn it off indefinitely- something the government doesn’t want you to do, so they probably made it that way..... on purpose; unless you take your tailgate off for pullling 5th-wheels or goosenecks.

Your shade or curtain idea sounds interesting.

Last edited:

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I wasn’t even in the least little bit insinuating that you were wanting to delete your backup camera, nor was I necessarily telling you do so, I was just pretty much telling you that that was probably the only way to turn it off because the government says you have to use it. Of course they’re not gonna take into account that the camera is on a vehicle that is built to tow and that the brightness of the camera screen might be more of a hinderance than an assistance when backing a large, long trailer in the dark. Why they made the camera capable of being turned on while driving down the highway is beyond me, unless you just got a serious case of OCD about being able to check your trailer hitch while going down the road but in my humble little ole opinion, they probably didn’t put a switchable option on the backup camera to completely disable it at will is probably because they figured people would just take advantage of the switch and just turn it off indefinitely- something the government doesn’t want you to do, so they probably made it that way..... on purpose; unless you take your tailgate off for pullling 5th-wheels or goosenecks.

Your shade or curtain idea sounds interesting.

you are right about big brothers involement :)

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Side mirrors. Horrible design. Quad lights = useless . Uconnect, seriously....it's 2018, when I am using Bluetooth and get out of the car and shut it down , then back in the radio is blaring!!! The crap firestones that come stock on these trucks. Holy cow .

Jalynsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Depending on your year, you may have the harnesses to add factory floorboard lighting and/or bed lighting. On some trucks the harness is there just waiting for the accessory.

This forum has threads for upgrading the cluster and radio too. It's pretty painless if your interested...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Thanks I will look into this! I've only had the truck for about 6 months and have not given it an extremely thorough look through. I did find two harnesses underneath the rear seat that I am not sure what they are for. Haven't really looked into it yet.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
you are right about big brothers involement :)

With most trucks with cameras on the tailgate I wonder what the legalities are considering tailgates are meant to come out. Some for 5th wheel some for contractors etc. Would the person have to have a back up back up?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
With most trucks with cameras on the tailgate I wonder what the legalities are considering tailgates are meant to come out. Some for 5th wheel some for contractors etc. Would the person have to have a back up back up?

Not a lawyer but with the exception of emissions related stuff, most of the mandated items like backup cameras and TPMS stuff is only required at time of new manufacture and initial first sale. After that, it is usually regulated at the various state inspection level on what has to stay on going forward and subsequent resale.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Not a lawyer but with the exception of emissions related stuff, most of the mandated items like backup cameras and TPMS stuff is only required at time of new manufacture and initial first sale. After that, it is usually regulated at the various state inspection level on what has to stay on going forward and subsequent resale.

Gotcha! I love mine. I have a sidewalk and driveway slopes down. So my tailgate sits high and I wouldn’t see a child or dog etc. Otherwise when I back up it’s mirrors. I use it so I can really back up tight to something

Navy Six Zero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Weak headlights, stupid radio antenna on the fender, rotary shifter, lastly-not being able to turn radio "off"

cityboy21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
whoever designed the front defroster should be slapped repeatedly. doesn't do a bad job once it gets going but the windshield right in front of the driver is the last section to defrost. I end up having to do the "lean" as I drive down the street. maybe I should move the steering wheel to the passenger side.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My only complaint is the choice for tow mirrors is horrible all ugly which is why I'm modding a chevy set to put on. And I hate the sound when mds kicks on.