What has your experience been with the MPG Average function?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JWExperience

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes! I believe its doing a rolling average. If i was a math wiz id be able to figure it out. Problem:. Constant speed of 60mph. Odometer shows a 3-4 mile interval between .1increase in average mpg. This seems true up to a high of 27.9. the eco meter is showing 30+ pegged onthe display. Can anyone solve for the number of miles the mpg is based on?

The mpg is based on how many miles you’ve driven since your last reset. I reset my eco meter every fill up and trip A so I can see miles driven. Then I divide my gallons to fill into miles if I want the real or more accurate mpg. I also use trip B for oil changes like a previous poster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is 2 meters, one that you reset, the other is supposedly "lifetime", but I have found that it seems to be close to the last 50 miles average.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Mine is usually within .5 of my hand calculated. One time the hand calculated was actually slightly higher than the EVIC. I keep accurate track on fuelly.com and keep a spreadsheet and try to be as accurate as possible. It does seem the more conservative I drive the closer my EVIC is to my hand calculated.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ram/2500/2018/topcop38/917903

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman, metallic red with wheel-to-wheel black sidesteps and fender flares, factory wheels
Engine
Wow, never thought about a mileage long term limit, reset trip A every fill up and don't really use B, maybe for a trip out of town. There is an oil life computer function for oil changes that takes into account the type of driving. I have tracked hand calculated versus computer gas mileage with different size wheels (taking into account odometer error), and different tires. Its virtually always optimistic, typically 1 mpg out of 20. With new Wrangler Fortitude tires on factory 17" wheels was getting more accurate (less optimistic) readings around town. My impression is that "light foot" driving situations such as coasting down hills in neutral tends to make it more optimistic. Just took a 600 mile trip, all on one tank. Computer was a whopping 3 mpg optimistic, showed 27 MPG average when I hand calculated 24. With the 6 cyl I think a lot has to do with hill climbing, I was on gently rolling terrain on an interstate in central Texas, set cruise on 70 MPH. It was the best I ever got on the two-way trip, have 70K miles on the truck so guess its well broken in. That 6 cyl Pentastar is amazing, on both performance and efficiency. Feels like a V8 and 8-speed trans shifts "just right"

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The mpg is based on how many miles you’ve driven since your last reset. I reset my eco meter every fill up and trip A so I can see miles driven. Then I divide my gallons to fill into miles if I want the real or more accurate mpg. I also use trip B for oil changes like a previous poster.

JWE is correct. The average fuel mileage is from reset to reset.

As far as the accuracy of the EVIC (computer) I've found on my two 4th gens and my new 5th gen DT are pretty accurate over time. The difference between two distinctly separate fill-ups and resets could reflect a huge inaccuracy at the pump for a number of reasons.

I've enclosed a copy of my gas mileage record which illustrates potentially wide differences caused by pumping inaccuracies.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 030513 miles.

img037.jpg

img038.jpg

Last edited:

Hoff

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used a website, fuelly.com, for years to track my MPG's on various cars. I've filled up the Ram twice since I bought it, and both times, the display has been right at 2mpg higher than what the website shows. Just filled up last night and my display showed 18.1, while fuelly showed 15.9... My previous fill up was 18.4 on the display, 16.5 on my tracker...

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use fuelly too but none of mine have ever been off by 2 MPG. My 2013 and 2018 are both off by usually less than .5 MPG difference. I have noticed that the harder I am on the gas pedal the further off it is when I fill it up. I just filled mine yesterday and it was 9.51 and EVIC read 10.1 but this was about 80% in town 1-2 mile trips so it was bound to be low.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ram/2500/2018/topcop38/917903

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
My A trip mileage I reset every tank and it tends to read 1mpg higher than hand cal
B trip hasn't been reset so it's more a long term avg mpg and it's high about 1mpg also.
Somewhere I read the overall mpg is reset every X# hours I think? Even the B trip log I notice the run time seems to reset but overall miles = what odometer says. So I have no idea how they get these numbers

OP
OP
Dave2018

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Thanks for all the comments. I was not referring to the trip A. or trip B avg. I meant the avg mpg on the menu above trip a and trip b. Ive let it go many tankfuls between resets. It still adjusts up 0.1 mpg every 3 to 4 odo miles. When the economy meter is pegged at 30 and im driving at 60mph. Since it does this i think it must be a rolling avg. Just wanted to know if anyone ha figured out how many miles it was using.

Last edited:

JWExperience

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the comments. I was not referring to the trip A. or trip B avg. I meant the avg mpg on the menu above trip a and trip b. Ive let it go many tankfuls between resets. It still adjusts up 0.1 mpg every 3 to 4 odo miles. When the economy meter is pegged at 30 and im driving at 60mph. Since it does this i think it must be a rolling avg. Just wanted to know if anyone ha figured out how many miles it was using.

I was also referring to the same one, it doesn’t reset on its own or after 50 miles. It’s always calculating your avg mileage until you reset it. It will take longer and longer to change .1 mpg if you don’t reset it. I reset that display and trip A every fuel up. Mine changes less and less as I travel and usually by the time I reach the pumps again, it’s pretty well settled on an avg mpg. My travel habits stay consistent for the most part so I usually end up around 15mpg. This week I’m traveling more two lanes with less stop and go so I’m averaging 17. 80-85 kills mpg!

Scott S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMG_20200307_110844.jpg Any of the calculations the truck comes up with are for entertainment purposes. It will cut the range by 100 km and add several l of fuel to the mileage just while I'm scraping off the windows in the morning lol.

truck has the large fuel tank option.

Last fill it had my range at over 900 km. Prior was just over 800. It was still in the 890's when I got home from the station that is about 18 km away. ODO 1 has never been reset and has the exact mileage as the main odo and it had my average at 13.8l/100km when I was looking at it on the weekend while washing it. It also includes some towing.

Picture attached is when I was washing it on the weekend after driving 18 km from the gas station.

My last tank MPG was in the 12l/100km range running the 401 to downtown Toronto and back - about 450 km round trip fill to fill. It is very good on fuel on the freeway but takes a hit when on Toronto city streets.
This is a Hemi, 4x4 crew; I've been pleased with it over all. IMG_20200307_110856.jpg

Last edited:

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
View attachment 197928 Any of the calculations the truck comes up with are for entertainment purposes. It will cut the range by 100 km and add several l of fuel to the mileage just while I'm scraping off the windows in the morning lol.

truck has the large fuel tank option.

Last fill it had my range at over 900 km. Prior was just over 800. It was still in the 890's when I got home from the station that is about 18 km away. ODO 1 has never been reset and has the exact mileage as the main odo and it had my average at 13.8l/100km when I was looking at it on the weekend while washing it. It also includes some towing.

Picture attached is when I was washing it on the weekend after driving 18 km from the gas station.

My last tank MPG was in the 12l/100km range running the 401 to downtown Toronto and back - about 450 km round trip fill to fill. It is very good on fuel on the freeway but takes a hit when on Toronto city streets.
This is a Hemi, 4x4 crew; I've been pleased with it over all. View attachment 197926
I am driving mostly city and it seems to read around 18l/100kms -I dont think it could be that thirsty -to be fair I am always resetting the damn thing so i dont have to see that. Now i usually just drive with the tire pressure screen on. I dont seem to fill up more often-its the short commutes and stop lights/signs everywhere. It is what it is and it runs just as smooth and responsive as day one. So, it is a truck with a Hemi and I do need to load up the box often with heavy firewood etc and it beats the hell out of the f-150 i used to own maybe not so much with the mpg but it sure is a better ride and looks much nicer!!DSC00560.JPG

Seth Richards

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l Hemi
I find it isn’t very accurate with MPG. I use an app to keep track of my fill ups and it calculates mpg based on how many gallons my tank takes on a fill up and how many miles I have. I have used it for years and this is my 4th vehicle with it. It has always been very accurate as have my in vehicle calculations. But on my Ram 1500 classic it’s always at least 1 mpg off. Before this vehicle a difference of even half a gallon was very rare. It was either right on or a couple 10ths of a gallon off.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure how you guys are that far off. I had a 2007 with the 4.7, 2013 with the 5.7 and now the 2018 with the 6.4 and average is about .5 off on all 3. But like I said, the harder I am on the pedal the further off it is. I drive mine pretty conservatively.

I use fuelly.com and a spreadsheet to calculate mine. I take a picture of my dash and the gas pump every fill-up