What is the best way to add a horn with a separate switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lezmark7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just because I like to be obnoxious to drivers doing idiot stuff, I would like to add a loud electric horn. What is a good way to wire it up? Any tricks any of you have done? Additional question: does anyone know if the horn volume is different when on the road versus the "beep" when you lock or unlock? Thanks

Last edited:

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Takes up little room, no additional accessories required and disposable!

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Easy.

One line circut from horn relay to the horn button on your dash (ground the circut to dash frame). This is from the engine compartment to your trigger/horn button.

That circut wire will run through the firewall, from the trigger/horn button to a relay located in the engine compartment. Relay will trigger the horn on its own 12 volt power and fuse protected circut.

There are hundreds of ready made kits (wire harnesses) for this on the market, for $20 or less. The horn will be separate.

I run a 400 watt - roughly 140 dB- electric horn mounted under the front bumper on my '93 Dodge. I'm about to do the same to my '22 PW. I just ran the horn trigger wire through the firewall two days ago.

Hardest part is fishing the relay trigger/horn button wire (a single wire 16 or 18 AWG) THROUGH THE FIREWALL grommet. There are other threads on that on this forum.

Example of a wiring harness for your horn (picture).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240103_083831_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103_083831_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Easy.

One line circut from horn relay to the horn button on your dash (ground the circut to dash frame). This is from the engine compartment to your trigger/horn button.

That circut wire will run through the firewall, from the trigger/horn button to a relay located in the engine compartment. Relay will trigger the horn on its own 12 volt power and fuse protected circut.

There are hundreds of ready made kits (wire harnesses) for this on the market, for $20 or less. The horn will be separate.

I run a 400 watt - roughly 140 dB- electric horn mounted under the front bumper on my '93 Dodge. I'm about to do the same to my '22 PW. I just ran the horn trigger wire through the firewall two days ago.

Hardest part is fishing the relay trigger/horn button wire (a single wire 16 or 18 AWG) THROUGH THE FIREWALL grommet. There are other threads on that on this forum.

Example of a wiring harness for your horn (picture).

Also, if you want to use your existing steering wheel horn trigger (factory horn circut) you can wire it as your relay trigger and avoid running a new wire.

I also did that to a truck.

Just connect to it at the factory horn. Only run this to the relay, not to directly power the new horn.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, if you want to use your existing steering wheel horn trigger (factory horn circut) you can wire it as your relay trigger and avoid running a new wire.

I also did that to a truck.

I would prefer to have the option to switch between the stock horn and the painfully loud version, depending on my mood and the circumstances.

Also, I once saw a solution to fix our horns so that a short blip is possible. Nothing like trying to politely inform someone ahead of you that the light has changed to green and the attempt at a short blip results in a bazooka blast. LMAO

Most humans don't appreciate that our horns are on or off. POS/brainless on the part of the designers.

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I would prefer to have the option to switch between the stock horn and the painfully loud version, depending on my mood and the circumstances.

Also, I once saw a solution to fix our horns so that a short blip is possible. Nothing like trying to politely inform someone ahead of you that the light has changed to green and the attempt at a short blip results in a bazooka blast. LMAO

Most humans don't appreciate that our horns are on or off. POS/brainless on the part of the designers.
One of the things I really DO NOT LIKE about my '22 Power Wagon is the stock horn.

The horn requires a very hard and deliberate pressure, beyond natural or what most cars/truck require, to activate the horn. It is awkward.

I like to toot a quick one at friends. Now they just think I'm angry. The horn is hard to just toot.

So........... I'm having trouble tooting my own horn (come on, saw that one coming, didn't ya?)

It is loud enough - so I'm OK with the noise it makes.

Last edited:

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi

I've spent a lot of time looking at actual compressor driven air horns with reserve tanks.

I decided I did not want to be a "Mall Crawler" and to not do a $1.500 spare tire delete for the massive air horn system under the ass end of my truck. Hell no.

The only up side I see to adding that kind of space taker of a mounted air pump system (even underneath between the rocker panels and the frame) is if it doubles as an actual tire air pump/air reservoir with the couplings for an air hose, for beadlocker refills.

Other than that, here are simpler ways and (examples) options that are easy installs, take very little space and get the job done.

1704329853929.png

1704329970328.png 1704330290558.png

and this 1704330738979.png

Attachments

• 1704330156369.png
    1704330156369.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 4

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've spent a lot of time looking at actual compressor driven air horns with reserve tanks.

I decided I did not want to be a "Mall Crawler" and to not do a $1.500 spare tire delete for the massive air horn system under the ass end of my truck. Hell no.

The only up side I see to adding that kind of space taker of a mounted air pump system (even underneath between the rocker panels and the frame) is if it doubles as an actual tire air pump/air reservoir with the couplings for an air hose, for beadlocker refills.

Other than that, here are simpler ways and (examples) options that are easy installs, take very little space and get the job done.

View attachment 534642

View attachment 534643 View attachment 534647

and this View attachment 534649
Co worker of mine mounted his compressor in the bed up near the cab under a tool box he has in it....or something. I havent seen it in a while as we dont work together anymore. But im pretty sure he didnt mount in underneath. And yes if there is a way for it to make that noise with less parts and space, that would be better.
I wouldnt want a siren horn.