What is this - (brake line lookin' vacuum lines?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpilk99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a hose/wire flapping in the breeze by the transmission support bracket (see images) and wondering what it is; can't find in service manual. Seems to be a vacuum line for the 4 wheel drive? Weird that part of it is brake line lookin' metal tubing along frame and yet the ends are flexible...

Not sure how to fix. The ending looks tapered differently than a brake line and the red colored flexible hose seems like it should be replaced, but, again, I don't know what it is.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

IMG_6268.JPG

IMG_6269.JPG

IMG_6276.JPG

OP
OP
jpilk99

jpilk99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just found out: 4x4 vacuum hoses that engage and disengage the 4wheel drive. Gotta get new lines and possibly the connector ends on the flexible hosing.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
As you already figured out those are the vacuum lines for the C.A.D.

I locked mine out on my 99. I tried the posi lok, but it sucked too after the first winter.

You can buy a kit or just flip the e clips.

The post lol in theory is nice. You can then have 2wd low range.

Any questions let me know.

Your vacuum bulb on the axle is probably rusted out too.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Don't worry about it, all that rust will destroy whatever it goes to soon enough.:anitoof: :banana-mario:

OP
OP
jpilk99

jpilk99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As you already figured out those are the vacuum lines for the C.A.D.

I locked mine out on my 99. I tried the posi lok, but it sucked too after the first winter.

You can buy a kit or just flip the e clips.

The post lol in theory is nice. You can then have 2wd low range.

Any questions let me know.

Your vacuum bulb on the axle is probably rusted out too.

Thanks Devil Dog. Not to be too ig'nant but what do you mean by:

"I locked min out"
"I tried the posi lok"
"or just flip the e clips"
"the post lol in theory is nice"

Gotcha on the vacuum bulb being rusted too! It's almost like, 'what the $^&^% isn't rusted'!!!

I just want to get it back to how it shoulda been so I can shift into 4-wheel when neededd and have it actually ...shift into 4 wheel :)

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Wow. Spell checked changed everything. I wrote it in a hurry and didn't proof read.

https://4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html

Go to this link. It will explain it.

I bought the posi lok and had it on for a year til it malfunctioned also. Mostly my own fault.

But i then just locked it engaged, so it was always ready for 4x4.

The best part of the actual system is you can use 2wd low, by engaging the transfer case lever, but not the posi lok. You put the lever in 4low and with the posi lok disengaged you have 2wd.

When you take the unit apart in the truck, you can just take the e clips off of the shaft, reposition the shift fork to engage and reinstall the e clips to keep the fork there.

Hopefully the pictures in the link help. Let me know