What is this part on my manual transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevaug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Hi - Does anyone know what this part is and what it does?
its on my 2004 Ram 1500 4x4 with 4.7L 5 speed Manual trans
Mine seems to be leaking.
Looks like some type of hard plastic vacuum line coming into it as well?
Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovqhavq3si6pkav/Dodge Ram part on tranny.jpg?dl=0

Dodge%20Ram%20part%20on%20tranny.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kevaug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I think it might be my clutch ***** cylinder

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That is the ***** cylinder. When you press the clutch pedal, that cylinder presses against the clutch fork to release the clutch.

OP
OP
K

kevaug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
OK so heres a crazy question. I have another thread about a high idle after hitting a large puddle / lagoon during a flash flood at night and my truck acting as if its stuck in cruise control now without the cruise control on.

I am now concentrating on the area underneath the truck assuming the force of the water damaged something as everything in the engine bay that could lead to a high idle seems fine. I found a detached evap line from a harness connector that ended up melting on my exhaust and found my clutch ***** leaking. Both are in the same area.
So I am thinking these two items got the brunt of the water. I have also noticed my shift being a little stiff lately - so no doubt I will need a new *****.

My crazy question is could the ***** or somehow water infiltrated the trans or clutch and is causing it to stick and always be engaged.
Basically my manual transmission is sort of acting like a automatic transmission.
In neutral it doesnt move just idles at 1500-1600 but in gear I do not need t give it any gas and it will go.

Sorry if I should be continuing this thought on my high idle thread - not sure where to post this idea since this thought is related to my ***** & clutch.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Okay. How deep was the water? Did you drive through water for an extended amount of time or just drive in and out within a few seconds?

For the EVAP hose that burned on the exhaust, is it and EVAP hose to source vacuum on the engine or is it one of the conections to the purge solenoid?

Is the large vacuum line at the rear lower corner of the intake, closest to the bulkhead (firewall), connected to the intake? This is the PCV vacuum source. You can follow the PCV hose/line from the PCV valve to the rear of the intake manifold. I have seen this come off of several of the older DR bodies and since it would be a large vacuum leak the engine rpm definitely go up.

25-001-06-f4.gif

Do you have access to a scan tool? Id like to see what your MAP sensor shows at the current idle rpm. I would also like to see your oxygen sensors voltages to really see what is going on. Is the check engine light currently on?

If you are concerned that water may have entered through the trans vent, pull the filler plug on the side of the trans and take a sample of the fluid.

OP
OP
K

kevaug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I want to say 2 feet or more during flash flood rain. In and out in seconds but it threw the truck pretty good. I was only doing about 20 mph because I was taking a left in 100 ft.

The evap line that is burnt is from the filter on the evap canister. I ordered a new "mushroom" vent cap from dodge. I think the only purpose of that line after my research is to vent the evap system. So even burnt I would assume it could still vent because the mushroom stem, if you will, has 5 blades on it that slip into the hard plastic. So no, I dont think this has anything to do with vacuum. I do see the one going to the solenoid and that looks fine.
I think the water broke the zip ties off the lines and thats what made this line flop down and get burnt.

I did get up on the engine and feel behind the manifold. The PCV elbow seems to be in and it feels decent. I tried to look with my digital inspection camera but it didnt help much. I did hook up a vacuum gauge to the TB and it was a constant 19.5 to 20 inHg.

outside air temp this morning is 63 degrees according to my outdoor thermometer

_________________________________ECT____ MAP ____IAT ___TPS____ RPM

on a cold non running engine __________63 _____29 inHg__ 63____ 11.0 %___ 0

at startup__________________________63 _____14 ______63 _____11.4 ____1525

at engine coolant at approx 200 degrees 194 ______9 ______75 _____11.4 ____1660

the TPS changes when i step on accelerator, live data rpms match dash tach

I do get a P0068 code but I dont think its a true code. I make it happen when I come to a stop and keep the truck in gear as long as possible before having to press in the clutch to avoid the 3000 rpm surge when truck is rolling in neutral. After it comes to a stop it sometimes goes back down to 1500 but other times it remains at 3000.

I was wondering about my O2 sensors as they do seem funky. I know the bank 1's are supposed to fluctuate and the bank 2's are to be somewhat steady.
When I looked the bank 1's do seem to fluctuate, the bank 2's seem to go straight then dip down but this is all at idle. I would need to drive around I think to get a real picture of what is going on. I will do that later today.

Would water in the trans vent effect idle?

OP
OP
K

kevaug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Live data from my O2 sensors yesterday. sorry for the delay was waiting to get part for evap vent line because it kept falling and melting on my exhaust and I wanted to tie it up before driving again.

Anyway
B1S1 ranges from 0 to .7V in a sine wave type pattern
B1S2 stays pretty steady at 0.545V
B2S1 ranges from 0 to .8V in a sine wave type pattern
B2S2 stays pretty steady at 0.585V

Last edited: