What mufflers are out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
I figured instead of searching through tons of posts I could just ask what mufflers are out right now. I want a direct swap, no welding or cutting anything out. Just pull off the stock one and hook up the new better sounding one. And no catbacks, not looking to put that much into it just yet.

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Flowmaster Super 40 is not a direct fit but does not require must work to install.

Look for the thread I posted about the Flowmaster Super 40 Muffler with description.

OP
OP
C

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Going to wait for their FlowFX direct-fit comes out. Thoguht I saw somewhere it was supposed to be the end of November but not sure where I saw it. Either way, I'll wait for a direct fit. Don't want to modify in any way.

HEMI_Finn

U.S. ARMY Veteran
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you're looking for SI/DO, Magnaflow and Carven have some nice options.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
MBRP has 4 complete catback versions out. I have had MBRP on my SRT Challenger and Rams and it is very high quality with great sound.

OP
OP
C

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Love how that Carven sounds but I'm not really looking to go full catback just yet.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Flowmaster Super 40 is not a direct fit but does not require must work to install.

Look for the thread I posted about the Flowmaster Super 40 Muffler with description.
Is there any drone?

HEMI_Finn

U.S. ARMY Veteran
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Love how that Carven sounds but I'm not really looking to go full catback just yet.
You don't have to go full cat back. You can just replace the muffler. That's why I posted magnaflow or carvin!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
I didn't see just the muffler offered for sale on either of the companies sites. Looking at them, all I see are the catback systems.

HEMI_Finn

U.S. ARMY Veteran
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Try Moe's Performance, he has both Carven and Magnaflow AND he's a site sponsor! I got my Magnaflow from him.

OP
OP
C

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Again, I am not looking for a catback right now and that's all everyone has. I did see Flowmaster released their direct fit FlowFX. Might go with that for now then maybe in the spring go full catback. That Borla sounds awesome.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
From Flowmaster.com

Actually, I don't think it was a sale.
I signed up for their mailing list and they Emailed me a 15% discount code.
Got a free calendar too.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
On the down side- my gas mileage has really taken a hit.
Down about 3 mpgs.
Probably cause I can't keep my foot off the skinny pedal now...

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Advice for anyone doing there own muffler swap - (I've done mine with a Flowmaster Super 40 muffler) - the rear hanger clamp may not line up under the hanger bracket on the truck if you don't add an extension pipe to the rear of the muffler.

The rear exhaust hanger rods are welded to the Ram OEM muffler and when you cut the pipe behind the muffler whether at I" or 2" (I left 2" on muffler if I ever wanted to remount OEM muffler) the new clamp at the rear of the new muffler clamping the muffler to OEM existing 3" exhaust pipe will be back a couple of inches and not directly under the hanger bracket on the truck. The rear of the muffler will be directly under the hanger bracket if you mount the rear of the new muffler directly to the rear cutoff pipe.

The Mufflex-Performance Exhaust instruction show mounting rear to existing cutoff pipe and using hanger clamp to clamp the muffler to rear pipe - won't line up under truck hanger bracket.

When I replaced my muffler:

I cut off the OEM muffler pipe 2" in front of the muffler and 2" after the muffler to leave pipe stubs on each end of OEM muffler in case I ever wanted to reinstall it (just clamp or better yet, weld back if ever needed).

I attached the new muffler directly to the front cut off pipe (3" muffler end slips over 3" pipe) and added a 12" stainless steel 3" pipe (Flowmaster Super 40 length is shorter than OEM muffler) slips into rear flange of new muffler and connect to rear cut off pipe.

New 3" stainless steel clamps at each end of muffler and 3" stainless steel clamp at new pipe to truck pipe connection. Will eventually replace clamps with permanent welds.

Requires a new hanger clamp with double hanger rods to attach to new pipe behind muffler to hold up rear of muffler and front of dual exhaust pipes. I have not found a good stainless steel hanger clamp yet so I temporarily used a steel hanger clamp that I will replace when I find a correct stainless steel hanger rod clamp.

The rear dual exhaust pipes/tips need to be kept lined up and in correct elevation when everything is put together.

I really like the sound of my new Flowmaster Super 40 muffler - has a great low deep rumble. Not too loud to be obnoxious --- the 2019 Ram EOM resonators really mellow out loud exhaust.

This is the photo of the OEM muffler removed from my 2019 Ram Limited - see hanger location

20181115_073101.jpg

Last edited:

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Flowmaster Direct Fit FlowFX & Outlaw with attached pipes have the rear hanger rods in the correct place. Both are straight through baffled mufflers where the FlowFx relies on internal insulation/baffle material for sound reduction - don't be surprised if it gets louder over time, typical for this type of (glasspack) muffler.

The majority of the Flowmaster mufflers like the Super 40 use a different technology with internal steel deflectors for maximum flow and sound reduction. Too bad Flowmaster doesn't have other Direct Fit options.

I haven't heard the FlowFX on a gen5 yet - I'm sure it sounds good or Flowmaster would not be putting so many eggs in the FlowFX basket. The Outlaw is a little too loud for me.